Author Topic: Carronades 1.3.2  (Read 93151 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Carronades 1.3.2
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2013, 08:34:04 pm »
In the highest level play using a blenderfish is a liability and in high level play it doesn't confer any major advantages.  However in lower level play, due to its ease of use, the blenderfish can make an average pilot and crew into rockstars.

Not if you are flying maps like Paritan. It is a liability if your ally cannot take advantage of it. But in proper usage it separates the ships and forces 1 on 1 engagements. Without balloons on some maps you are velcrobait. The weakness then comes down to whether or not your ally can 1 v 1. If they can't then yeah, screwed.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2013, 10:20:51 pm »
We're all in agreement that the best counter to Carronades is information, right?

Information in terms of knowing how to properly stay at range and disable or call for help.

So, instead of nerfing the Carronade, what if we buff information?

The more players out there who know more about teamwork and countering builds, the better.

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2013, 10:43:49 pm »
I would like to see the carronades' power reduced at longer ranges. It fires a bunch of "pellet" scan lines. What if 100% of the Pellets made it 10 meters from the muzzle, 90% made it 20 meters from the muzzle, and so on until only 10% of the pellets hit at maximum range. It would make  escaping easier since a opening a little bit of distance will reduce the incoming damage. It would make using the weapon harder because the gunner would have to gauge when the enemy is close enough to get the most out of the weapon.

I love this... since a tool exists that specifically counters a weapon pretty effectively.  nerf the range and spread back to where it was before the patch and we are gold

Offline IvKir

• Salutes: 8
    • [CBC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 12:37:35 am »
There a still problem. Like it mention before, Blenderfish - it's "easy to learn and kill" ship. And any disabling ship need a good gunners, because mostly you have only one chance to bring that gun down... if you fail, then... you just going down.

And yes, hi lvl and exp crew can do this. But new guys? I don't think so. so a little nerfing is needed, like Madd suggested.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2013, 04:05:41 am »
As a person who has predominately flown throughout my tenure in goi, I would argue that blenderfish in particular, are not challenging to fly.

I'm sorry that I like flying a ship that actually feels like a ship and not a flying brick.

Though do continue, this thread is hilarious, I'm ill lately and could use an enjoyable discussion on the internet about how a weapon that was much better in 1.2 is now suddenly OP despite the horrendous nerf on its reloading time. I wonder how OP was the 60 bullet heavy clip Gatling considered to be.

I find it especially funny that people bring up the 'Skill to use' argument, because flying any ship in this game is especially hard right? Considering all you do is either stay still or charge an enemy in most cases. Pitiful argument, even more pitiful coming from members of this community.

Flying a Blenderfish (Or BlenderSquid) is one of the few options this game has for a free-flowing flight so you don't have to stay still in one spot or you won't be hitting anything. Some people find it boring? Fine, fly something else then and enjoy your sky bricks, I'll be busy flying a ship.

And I will stress it again and again, the carronade is not a problem, it's a gun that works as intended, what DOESN'T work as intended are the crappy tutorials that teach you nothing about guns, only how to get on them and shoot.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2013, 08:24:24 am »
The reduction in spread and the increase in range made this gun a little too powerful.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 09:03:16 am »
The reduction in spread and the increase in range made this gun a little too powerful.

The effective range of the Hellhound without Heavy clip is still less than half of its max range, I think that this is perfectly fine, no weapon should need Heavy clip in order to accurately shoot at an enemy in under half it's maximum range, this is still a problem with the Gatling that hasn't been adressed, but that's for an other thread.

The range buff was miniscule and probably uneeded, but if the range buff is undone for the Heavy it should be undone for the light one as well as it's one of the few major differences between the guns, halfing it to only 50 meters difference would be ridiculous. The only other major difference this gun has from the Light carronade right now is the same burst damage as a Light one (that's only the case with Heavy clip on the light, else the Light Carro with its 5 shots completely trashes the burst of the Heavy one) except done in a smaller clip. It used to have the best reload time but that is gone now.

Oh yeah and don't give it 4 shots per clip with the same total ammount of damage it does in 2 now please, that's horrible and would make it completely useless compared to the Light one, nevermind the side effects of Heavy clip which would disallow the Heavy carronade from popping a balloon at max range while the Light one could still do it within one clip. Terrible.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 09:11:00 am »
The discussion just seemed to focus on the heavy carronade so I did with my suggestion. Obviously the light one would change in some capacity as well if the heavy carronade got a change like that (like heavy flak and light flak last patch).

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 09:15:18 am »
Barking dog now stronger than Hellhound. Discuss.

So, don't make pointless judgements on others' observations.
Actually make some observations in games with good players before you use them in arguments.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 10:10:08 am »
What if you had to hold down the mouse button to charge up the shot on the heavy carronade?

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 10:14:54 am »
The discussion just seemed to focus on the heavy carronade so I did with my suggestion. Obviously the light one would change in some capacity as well if the heavy carronade got a change like that (like heavy flak and light flak last patch).

Fair enough, but wouldn't that be too much of a change just for one gun that, had it not been touched, nobody would talk about at all right now? I mean, nobody was saying anything about the carronade before 1.3.2, but oh god it got changed and now everyone cries OP! The funny thing, nobody will accept the gun going to what it used to be either because now they think it's OP.

Looking forward to the Heavy Carronade ending up like the Heavy Flak soon and by that I mean a stupidly niche gun that you can only fit on a Galleon.

No, Flak Spire doesn't work competitively, you don't have enough firepower or utility with a Heavy Flak on a Spire.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 10:23:30 am »
I think the main reason no one complained was because no one (generally speaking) knew the potential of the Goldfish, everyone was using Gat-Mortar Pyras/Junkers. Ever since I started flying blenderfish, I knew something was too powerful about it, I recall telling you Echoez when you introduced me to the ammo combinations that I thought it was "evil" lol.

I understand you don't want it nerfed to oblivion because I agree that it's really the only kill/100% reliable heavy weapon for a brawling Goldfish. I like Zill's idea of spreading out the damage over a larger clip, so that the potential power of the Carronade is the same, but gives the enemy more of a fighting chance.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 10:24:46 am »
Anybody else notice that it is easier to disable a gun or engine with the heavy carronade than it is with a hwacha?

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2013, 10:27:38 am »
Anybody else notice that it is easier to disable a gun or engine with the heavy carronade than it is with a hwacha?

^ This. So much this. Though I think that's more the Hwacha not being as good at it's job than it used to, rather than the Carronade being too versatile.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:33:07 am by Nidh »

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2013, 10:32:20 am »
The reduction in spread combined with heavy clip ammo AND the increased range means that we have a very long range and accurate shot gun.