Author Topic: Carronades 1.3.2  (Read 93173 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Carronades 1.3.2
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2013, 01:26:24 pm »
I'd like RoF over reload. It only takes one clip from the two to just mess up a ship.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2013, 01:26:47 pm »
Sorry Geggis, it was not my intention to stress you dude, don't take what I said personaly btw, this topic is just so frustrating to look at sometimes, I can't help but spill some spite in each post and most of them look like they were written by angry Joe. So my honest apologies there.

For the first quote, I simply state that the Carronade while being a balloon popper must not lose its current secondary utility, which is taking out armor, brought it up cause you were talking about damage spilling to hull.

As for the Goldfish, it's not as resilient, a Gatling will still mostly strip your armor in one go and they can finish you while you get in range easily. Of course if you flank them, then they have to play in your advantage field. Also the gun IS exposed, so charging blindly doesn't work that well unless you are already near range.

Third quote: Sorry xD

No worries! :-)

Current Max ranges are 400 for the Light, 500 for the Heavy, old values were 350 for the Light and 450 for the Heavy. Could be brought back down, I won't deny that the range increace was not needed.

Thanks for the info. That 100 difference seems huge in-game so I can now see how 'closer to' IS, for all intents and purposes, 'similar'. Those old values seem more realistic to me.

I think the problem with balancing the light carronade based on that dual Pyra build is that it may hurt single carronades more than it does that particular build. Dual Barking Dogs are going to hurt whichever way you cut it in the same way dual gats or mercs will strip and shatter anything (I don't know the maths on this though). The shorter range will help inject a little more risk before that reward though.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2013, 01:29:20 pm »
A bit off topic here but does anyone remember what balloon hp is?

I think it's somewhere around 1200 but my old brain seems to have forgotten the actual health value.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2013, 01:30:51 pm »
Again, I don't talk in terms of a massive RoF hit. Just enough so doubling up on them doesn't break them, while still leaving a single one able to do its work.

Unless it changed, they should all be 1200.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2013, 01:35:05 pm »
I think the problem with balancing the light carronade based on that dual Pyra build is that it may hurt single carronades more than it does that particular build. Dual Barking Dogs are going to hurt whichever way you cut it in the same way dual gats or mercs will strip and shatter anything (I don't know the maths on this though). The shorter range will help inject a little more risk before that reward though.

Yeah but dual Merc/Gatling can't destroy absolutely everything in a matter of seconds, it's more about the utility the carronades have, they can destroy balloon, armor, hull, weapons, engines.. did I miss something? :P

That's the case when you get them in pairs at least, the burst damage is as I said, otherworldly, but yeah I can't see how you can't realy fix that easily, RoF nerf is just an example because I honestly don't see how else can it be done, unless you take out one shot as Zill said, that way a Heavy clip light carro would not be able to strip a balloon by itself and doubles would lose out a lot of damage.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2013, 01:38:04 pm »
A lot of the double carro builds I go up against have at least one firing incend as well.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 14, 2013, 02:44:12 pm »
Yeah but dual Merc/Gatling can't destroy absolutely everything in a matter of seconds, it's more about the utility the carronades have, they can destroy balloon, armor, hull, weapons, engines.. did I miss something? :P

Aieee. Yeah. I forgot about that. >,>

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2013, 08:42:41 pm »
Unless the range is EXTREMELY short then there is no point. Most fights are done in fairly close range in this game anyway. The main issue, in my opinion, is that it only takes one clip to kill a balloon. That's a second or two and your balloon is down (no way to come back except a friendly or loch lumberjack aiming straight up).

If it took more then one clip to kill a balloon it gives time to counter, and personally, I'd still use carronades happily.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2013, 05:21:51 am »
Unless the range is EXTREMELY short then there is no point. Most fights are done in fairly close range in this game anyway. The main issue, in my opinion, is that it only takes one clip to kill a balloon. That's a second or two and your balloon is down (no way to come back except a friendly or loch lumberjack aiming straight up).

If it took more then one clip to kill a balloon it gives time to counter, and personally, I'd still use carronades happily.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, you're referring to the Light Carronade right? Cause if you're talking about the Heavy one, taking more than one clip to down a balloon pretty much defeats its purpose, especially against ships like the Junker where you don't have a second chance, one-clip balloon pop is pretty much the only way you can survive against some ships, if it gives them enough time to turn around then what's the point?

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2013, 01:31:13 pm »

Just to make sure we are on the same page, you're referring to the Light Carronade right? Cause if you're talking about the Heavy one, taking more than one clip to down a balloon pretty much defeats its purpose, especially against ships like the Junker where you don't have a second chance, one-clip balloon pop is pretty much the only way you can survive against some ships, if it gives them enough time to turn around then what's the point?

dude didnt you know?  they want all close range to take more than two clips to do anything.   that way the longer range ships which have a slower ROF have as good a chance to win at short range as they do at long range, duh
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:35:06 pm by -Mad Maverick- »

Offline -Mad Maverick-

• Salutes: 30
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2013, 01:33:47 pm »

yeah i mean another alternative is we could come up with some sort of pilot tool that would incredibly decrease the effectiveness of this strategy...  but hey last time i made this suggestion for fire based weapons(what is a heat sink?) i was wrong on that too and had to go through 8 months of over-hauling...

nothing worse than forcing captains to have to bring tools that would counter what their opponents are trying to do, lets just always bring claw kero and tar cuz i shouldnt have to change....