Author Topic: GUNS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2  (Read 192608 times)

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: GUNS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2013, 12:49:14 pm »
I still don't get what you mean;- they are not variables that you bring to every map, they change depending; each map was learned independantly

Offline Dev Bubbles

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2013, 12:52:55 pm »
Like I said, if you feel like there is an issue, you're welcome to report it to feedback@musegames.com. 

I'll continue to be as open as I can to people.  However, I will evaluate it on a case by case basis. 

Offline Phoebe

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2013, 12:56:33 pm »
Yes I feel there is an issue; it's right here in Eric's official topic where he asked for that feedback, press the back button

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2013, 01:17:21 pm »
Squash is asking you the map so he can try to replicate your issue. Hard to replicate an issue you have if you just avoid questions. Id like to try as well.

Offline Xemkobankavareniya

• Salutes: 20
    • [Rrdy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2013, 01:39:06 pm »
Dramaaaa
Phoebe, being one of the best Lumber Jackers in the game
lOl
I categorically state - it's the same old lumberjack.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2013, 03:32:57 pm »
Depends how broadly you define that, but she is/was awesome at thet job.
--As for lumberjcack I have no idea, since I've allways been terrible with it.

On the topic of rottational/amgular speed: I think the projectile still inherrit the ship's angular speed.

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2013, 09:45:55 pm »
Honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in the lumberjack. It shoots fine to me.

The only issue I have encountered though is the ammo bug that I've talked about in the bug forum. It occurs when you switch ammo to, for example, lesmok, but whilst the game tells you lesmok is loaded, it actually isn't. So you'll think you're firing lesmok but it's actually default rounds, OR whatever the previous ammo loaded into the gun was. It happens to me with annoying regularity, so it's entirely possible that this is contributing to your problems.

Offline RaptorSystems

• Salutes: 6
    • [BFS]
    • View Profile
    • Fab Lab Adelaide
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2013, 04:53:16 am »
This sort of removes the point of a Carronade.
-Light Carronade
--Changed pitch angles (-40 to 35 changed to -30 to 10, skewed towards upwards aiming)
-Heavy Carronade
--Changed pitch angles (-20 to 35 changed to -30 to 10, skewed towards upwards aiming)

Offline Urz

• Salutes: 75
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2013, 07:32:42 am »
-Light Carronade
--Changed pitch angles (-40 to 35 changed to -30 to 10, skewed towards upwards aiming)
-Heavy Carronade
--Changed pitch angles (-20 to 35 changed to -30 to 10, skewed towards upwards aiming)

Not at all. It just means the pilot has to maintain a closer altitude to the target, rather than lazily hovering above and relying on the turning arc to carry the build.

Offline Phoebe

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2013, 07:35:09 am »
Honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in the lumberjack. It shoots fine to me.

The only issue I have encountered though is the ammo bug that I've talked about in the bug forum. It occurs when you switch ammo to, for example, lesmok, but whilst the game tells you lesmok is loaded, it actually isn't. So you'll think you're firing lesmok but it's actually default rounds, OR whatever the previous ammo loaded into the gun was. It happens to me with annoying regularity, so it's entirely possible that this is contributing to your problems.

No, that indeed is a different problem I already pointed out on patch day itself

Offline RaptorSystems

• Salutes: 6
    • [BFS]
    • View Profile
    • Fab Lab Adelaide
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2013, 09:14:57 am »
-Light Carronade
-Heavy Carronade

Not at all. It just means the pilot has to maintain a closer altitude to the target, rather than lazily hovering above and relying on the turning arc to carry the build.

A much 'closer altitude', aka the same altitude because gun can not point down at all. At which point might as well use gat + flak or hwacha/anything else because popping a balloon is no where near as effective as direct damage or disabling most of the time.

Offline Phoebe

• [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2013, 10:51:11 am »
-Light Carronade
-Heavy Carronade

A much 'closer altitude', aka the same altitude because gun can not point down at all. At which point might as well use gat + flak or hwacha/anything else because popping a balloon is no where near as effective as direct damage or disabling most of the time.

I believe this change is so it forces ships to be in combat vision of the ship they're fighting and give the opponent somewhat of a chance to fight back if it's being balloon locked.  Currently the carronade mechanic is dull and uninteresting and very annoying to the opponent because you can happily hover above their ship doing damage they cannot defend against.

Balloon locking, as effective as it may have been; has always been a really uninteresting mechanic - and giving the enemy at least an oppurtunity to fight back during their struggle to escape is most likely the entire reasoning behind the pitch changes.  If you feel you might as well use a gat-flak then;- that's entirely your decision

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2013, 11:03:02 am »
I have to be honest, I am completely baffled as to why they nerfed the carronade.

I don't know anyone who thought it was op since there were so many methods to get out of a balloon lock (drogue chute, balloon buff, multiple engis on the balloon, hydrogen, kerosene your teammate all the above etc) and there where many builds that I thought were superior however it was still viable.

Furthermore this really limits the use of some of the lesser used ships like Spires, Squids and Goldfish since some of their most viable (and fun) builds relied on carronade usage.

The whole point in my mind of a carronade was to control the altitude of a fight in order to stay out of the gun arcs of your opponents, not necessarily to kill them, but to keep them from killing you and your teammates; now I just don't get it.

I can't imagine how frustrating it is for Eric to work as hard as he does balancing the game only to have the community complain about everything he does and I'm sure there was a really positive and constructive reason for the change.  I also know it's not Eric's method to explain balance changes, so I'll probably never understand the change. I'm just totally befuddled, and you know, longing for my old carronades.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2013, 11:08:09 am »
I think it's kind of like the old fire, it wasn't exactly dominating cogs matches, but it was sure a new-player-killer like nothing else, and it made the game less fun for them.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2013, 11:32:36 am »
I'm assuming that might have been the reason as well but new players learn quickly. I remember being balloon locked when I was new and figuring out how to get out of it.

The game should be balanced for the average player, with an eye toward competitive play, not the brand new player, since sooner than later, they'll be an average player anyways.