Author Topic: Guide Overview  (Read 39627 times)

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
Guide Overview
« on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:15 am »
Ahoy!

Many a brave Engineer, Gunner and Captain have taken on the challenge to pass their knowledge on to aspiring sailors. One might easily get confused with the endless rows of tomes full of knowledge we greedily hoard here, and this post is here to help you stay on course.

Community Wikis

English GoIO-Wiki http://gunsoficarusonline.wikia.com/wiki/Guns_of_Icarus_Online_Wikia
French GoIO-Wiki http://fr.gunsoficarusonline-fr.wikia.com/wiki/Accueil
(The French Wiki is currently lacking content. It would be great if any francophones could contribute.)
German GoIO-Wiki: http://gunsoficarusonline-de.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page (Not yet up to date with Version 1.1.4)

Guide Index

General

A Guide for Guides
An explanation of good standards to follow while writing guides

Battle Stations
A guide on how Crewmembers can work effectively on different ships, covering a broad range of engagement situations.

The Day After: Effects of Combat on Willing Combatants
Comprehensive insight and facts on psychological and emotional stress during and after combat situations.

Topic: OPEN YOUR SUCK: Battlefield Communication
A guide detailing the importance and suggesting means of communication aboard

FAQ aboard a Ship
A collection thread for various frequently asked questions

Teaching new Players
A guide for experienced captains on how to properly deal with and help out new players

Geometry: A Pilot's Main Gun
AGuide and discussion about piloting ships in respect to blind spots and maneuvering

Piloting

Hamster's Pilot Guide]Hamster's Pilot Guide
An overview of all the key skills required to be succesful as a pilot

How to captain a ship
A guide outlining the role of a Captain before and within the match

Engineering

Where, What, and How? An Engineer's Guide
A guide aimed at Engineers who know the basics already, detailing loadout and engineering strategies

How to engineer efficiently on different types of ships (Part 1)
A guide on Engineer-loadout and positions on the Pyramidion, Junker and Galleon.

How to engineer efficiently on different types of ships (Part 2)
A guide on Engineer-loadout and positions on the Spire, Goldfish and Squid

Buffing 101
A guide on the Dynabuff Industries Kit, commonly known as the "Buff hammer"

Engineer Teamwork: An Effective Guide to a Loving Relationship
An overview of how to coordinate with fellow engineers

Hardcore Parkour: A Quick and Dirty Engineer's Guide to Getting Around
A guide on how to quickly get from component to component on a ship

Gunnery

"You didn't bring Heavy clip?!?!" - A weaponry guide for begginers

A general guide on Weaponry and Amunition

Ship-specific

Aboard a Goldfish
A guide covering the basics of Piloting, Engineering and Gunning on a Goldfish

Aboard a Spire
A guide covering the basics of Piloting, Engineering and Gunning on a Spire

Aboard a Squid
A guide covering the basics of Piloting, Engineering and Gunning on a Squid

Junker Build: Countering the Pyra Gat/Flak
Detailed explanation & tactics for a Junker build with Gatlings & Artemis Rocket Launchers

Weapon-specific
The Lumberjack Part 1 : Piloting a Lumberjack
A guide on the properties of the Lumberjack important for pilots, and how to put it to effective use

Guide authors, feel free to send me or another CA/Moderator a better text to summarize your guide's content! I'm sorry if my summarizations don't fit very well!
Thanks to Mr. N-Sunderland for helping with making this index!

Last Updated: 28.06.2013
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:58:30 am by Kyren »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Guide Overview
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 12:00:05 pm »
Nice work, Kyren! I added a little note in there about the French wiki. I really have to start writing that thing up some time...

Have a salute for that!

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 01:30:28 pm »
Not sure of the status of the wiki, but there's also this guide in the Russian-language section: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,74.0.html

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 08:28:44 pm »
Hate to be that guy, but "The Day After: Effects of Combat on Willing Combatants" focuses so much more on the RP aspect that it drowns out the mildly useful tidbits in there, the little hints that possibly be applied to the game have to be dug out from the massive wall of text that's largely just there to explore the setting.  I'm not sure it really belongs on a guide overview if its primary purpose isn't to actually help players get better at the game.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:20:19 pm »
Hate to be that guy, but "The Day After: Effects of Combat on Willing Combatants" focuses so much more on the RP aspect that it drowns out the mildly useful tidbits in there, the little hints that possibly be applied to the game have to be dug out from the massive wall of text that's largely just there to explore the setting.  I'm not sure it really belongs on a guide overview if its primary purpose isn't to actually help players get better at the game.

Fully agreed. It's a great read, but it doesn't really teach anything about the game.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 06:09:47 pm »
Added Hamster's new guide to the list.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 06:12:17 pm »
Thanks, just trying to be helpful.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 06:16:49 pm »
Thanks, just trying to be helpful.

Haven't read it yet, but it looks good. We really needed something like that to keep us from yelling at new players so often :P

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 06:22:31 pm »
It actually provides tips on how to yell at new players.  :P

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 06:24:30 pm »
Well, for part of it. At least you're telling them to restrain their anger. Coming from you, of all people :P

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 06:30:34 pm »
That is why I put "Full Disclosure" at the top. I may be a liar and a hypocrite, but at least I am a honest one... if that makes any sense.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 06:45:39 pm »
It makes total sense. I've heard much weirder things on this forum before (I'm looking at you, Spoon). I myself was a bit hypocritical in saying things like "you must stay near the hull whenever possible" in my own guide. I have a tendancy to go daydreaming on the roof of a Goldfish or a Galleon's crow's nest when I get bored (but never in the heat of the battle, obviously).

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 07:18:59 pm »
Ah, good that you took that over, lads! Thanks for editing, Mr. Sunderland! I find myself with a shortage of time spent at home these days :/ I'll be able to get myself up to date tomorrow and on fridays, but from Saturday on I'll be on holidays. But I see the Overview is in capable hands :)

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 06:11:44 pm »
Here to be that guy again.  There's not much use for a guide overview if it's simply listing all the guides you can see in the Guide forum in one page.  To be blunt, having the guide only omit one irrelevant guide mean it's taking up space in the page, making the REAL index more cluttered than it needs to be.  Could this be pared down to the essentials, the REALLY good ones?

Better yet, couldn't this just link to pages on the wiki with these guides posted there and freely editable by the community at large?  What about non-English guides?  These guides will eventually be out of date, soon given the rate at which this game is patched.  Having a stickied index that simply lists everything without even shrinking it down into an easier-to-read table AND points to outdated guides is going to spread more misinformation than anything.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 06:54:51 pm »
There's not much use for a guide overview if it's simply listing all the guides you can see in the Guide forum in one page.

It's one page now, but there could be more in the future.

To be blunt, having the guide only omit one irrelevant guide mean it's taking up space in the page, making the REAL index more cluttered than it needs to be.

One important thing about this index is that it categorizes the guides and describes them. It's there to help players find what they want quickly.

Could this be pared down to the essentials, the REALLY good ones?

This would lead to arguing about which guides are good, which ones aren't, etc. We're here to help people out, not upset them by saying that their guide isn't good enough to be listed.

Better yet, couldn't this just link to pages on the wiki with these guides posted there and freely editable by the community at large?

If any guide writers wish to put their guides on the wiki, then that's their decision to make.

These guides will eventually be out of date, soon given the rate at which this game is patched.  Having a stickied index that simply lists everything without even shrinking it down into an easier-to-read table AND points to outdated guides is going to spread more misinformation than anything.

Sure, they'll go out of date. I think we should probably put a note in each guide saying "to date as of 1.1.x", and update anything that needs to be fixed. As for non-English guides (the wikis, I presume), we'll just have to work on keeping those up to date (except for the French one, which I still haven't begun working on, lazy me).