Author Topic: Ok, time to deal with less than pleasant players  (Read 71005 times)

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, time to deal with less than pleasant players
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 12:28:22 am »
have you ever been on spudnick's ship the "mines of mortar"? its a junker with a mine mortar broadside.  The mines provide both piercing damage and a defense against the inevitably charging pyra.

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 12:30:09 am »
but basically YES is do see your point.  people use "im just messing around man" as an escape route whenever they start to lose a fight

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:50 am »
I'll just give my two cents on this. I had the pleasure to be with you on one or two games with some of these non pleasant players. We were on a metamidion and I was on main. There was one other engineer with a buffer and he kept coming down buffing the hull instead of staying in the front. I remember you swearing and shouting at him for being a retard of not staying with the gun. I had a real blast on your rage since I first thought you weren't srs. but you were srs. and that's sad...

I don't think you realise you make this seem like it's such a big deal. It's like you have just found the internet and you're unsure of it's many users. This is not the first game to experience such "non pleasant players". There are even worse cases in Strategy games where you'd depend even more on a teammate and all he does is goove around. However that's a minority on almost every game. You might have heard it already but chill the fuck down. If by now you haven't stacked up a friends list you certainly are not taking the opportunity of playing the game with what it offers. Teaming up with friends is what this game is basically is all about, not strafing around aimlessly. After you played some time it's optional to find games alone. But be aware that not everybody is able to understand/hear or simply listens to you. Because if you start acting like a prick you're simply shout at a wall.
I played over a thousand matches and some guys in this thread even more yet somehow they seem to get along just fine whetever it is because they choose to play with guys they know or simply they're not as easy to get off as you seem to be.

I call upon the ultimate argument here and say "it's only a game" -everybody

If you don't act like a prick on a ship that's one less of the minority of bad players.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 04:12:59 am »
The problem presented by the OP is one easily solved.

Make friends, play with them, enjoy the game

Though we all play in pubs I know personally this is how I tend to have the most fun in GOI.
Which is why we barely see you in pubs. And no, duck games are not pubs, even if you forget the password sometimes...

I'll just give my two cents on this. I had the pleasure to be with you on one or two games with some of these non pleasant players. We were on a metamidion and I was on main. There was one other engineer with a buffer and he kept coming down buffing the hull instead of staying in the front. I remember you swearing and shouting at him for being a retard of not staying with the gun. I had a real blast on your rage since I first thought you weren't srs. but you were srs. and that's sad...
I'm not likely to call players I'm yelling at retards. Besides, that was nothing compared to yesterday. Xerx can confirm I felt like I was going to die. Though it was my mistake to put my crew in a Galleon I suppose. And you might hate my behavior to these players. But you have to agree that what I ask of people is reasonable. I am the player running loadouts that compensates for my crew's inabilities and plays to their strengths. I do explain to people how I want thinks done and given time I even explain why I make the decisions I make. Yes, you've had to pleasure of seeing me blow up against someone who didn't listen, yet you also should've noticed that I didn't attack you on anything in that scenario.
I don't think you realise you make this seem like it's such a big deal. It's like you have just found the internet and you're unsure of it's many users. This is not the first game to experience such "non pleasant players". There are even worse cases in Strategy games where you'd depend even more on a teammate and all he does is goove around. However that's a minority on almost every game. You might have heard it already but chill the fuck down. If by now you haven't stacked up a friends list you certainly are not taking the opportunity of playing the game with what it offers. Teaming up with friends is what this game is basically is all about, not strafing around aimlessly. After you played some time it's optional to find games alone. But be aware that not everybody is able to understand/hear or simply listens to you. Because if you start acting like a prick you're simply shout at a wall.
I played over a thousand matches and some guys in this thread even more yet somehow they seem to get along just fine whetever it is because they choose to play with guys they know or simply they're not as easy to get off as you seem to be.
This is exactly the thing I wish to prevent. I'm not saying you shouldn't have friends or shouldn't be playing with friends. But any player should have access to any pub with a fairly set standard. If you restrict yourself to a friendslist you will get inhousing and inhousing is one of the worst forms of elitism there is. In this game it's still possible to go to a public game and have fun. But the occurrences of those kind of pubs is diminishing.
I call upon the ultimate argument here and say "it's only a game" -everybody

If you don't act like a prick on a ship that's one less of the minority of bad players.
Yes, this argument is essentially the same as playing basketball, tossing the ball to your opponents and then going "it's only a game bro!". It's a teamgame, it should be fair to expect some sort of standard.

Now if you want to prevent Muse implementing this system because it's the only suggestion made up until the point shit hits the fan, I really recommend you stop targeting me specifically and come up with actual alternatives.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:34:29 am by QKO »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 04:17:37 am »
I have an alternative to your problem of these less than pleasant players, it's called getting a hint that your ideas are so flawed you seem to be retarded. Or an even better one someone block this post and this guy because he doesn't understand the meaning of "freedom" or "free will" so he is going to be a moron about this and keep putting stupid threads on this forum.

Actually have him blocked in game. Can't remember the reason why but I guess maybe you found it.

Ahh my glorious block list...someday to be featured as a mini game of it's own in GOIO! :D

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 06:03:56 am »
The game has a feature called crew formation, where you can assemble your own crew, made up of people whom you invited.  ;) Many people use this function on a daily basis because they don't always want to play with strangers (this is not elitism, some folks just simply happened to find friends in this game, which is actually quite cool, and want to play with them). Why not use this instead of introducing any restrictions/experienced vs. new player zones, whatever? If you do not like playing with strangers (either because you dont trust their abilities or because you just wanna play with people you know), simply invite folks that you like playing with, and try to make the gaming experience fun enough for them so that they would actually join that crew formation lobby and stay for several matches. You can still join public matches with that crew, get to know new folks while playing (match chat, sweathearts!!!) and even invite new people into the crew later on so that you can gather more friends. That function is not only for clans or for competitive team organizations, but for anyone who wants to play with certain people he/she knows or wants to play with.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 06:56:37 am »
Andika: would I have met you? Or Spud? Or Borg? If I were to confine myself to just my friendslist? Even if you form a crew, how are you going to play if you can't trust the other crew on your team? Just join with a team of 8/12/16? Think rationally here for a second. At some point the line into the open grounds has to be crossed, unless you inhouse. And when public domain is accessible, the point of confining yourself to just your friends or trying to avoid new players becomes much more moot.

Furthermore, I think the current low level situation is a disservice to a lot of new players. I have quite a bit of piloting time because in the newbie games noone piloted. People tend to just stand there in those games and do nothing productive quite frankly. That, no matter how you want me to put it or phrase it has to be dealt with in an agreeable manner.

Offline Swizy

• Salutes: 20
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • FacePunch
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 07:13:55 am »
I can't even anymore :v

Offline Andika

• Salutes: 114
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 07:43:29 am »
Andika: would I have met you? Or Spud? Or Borg? If I were to confine myself to just my friendslist? Even if you form a crew, how are you going to play if you can't trust the other crew on your team?

Actually, whenever I go online, I tend to group up with my fellow Cakes (we often fill up whole ships and you can rarely see me in a non-cake lobby when other Cakes are online) and yet my friendlist gets longer day by day...and it isn't just filling up with Cakes, but with anyone whom I had a great time with. Either because we meet in the lobby only (match chat, folks, I'm serious!), or because they joined a half-Cake or 3-Cake-member ship, or because they were our funny, worthy, coolest ever enemies.

Your problem seems to be that you do not enjoy the game with certain types of players (players with certain playing styles, I would say). The solution is to try to find players with whom you do enjoy the game. As many of them as possible. It doesn't mean you will end up with the same 3 people all the time. It means that after a while you'll have lots of "3 people"s in your friendlist with whom you can play. Or even whole teams, for that matter. And I'm not saying that your friend group should be closed to new players. Sure, get to know folks! Teach new people about the game and let them know about the tricks that are not mentioned in the tutorial or the handbook. Not everyone will listen, you are right about that, but most people do want to learn the game and have fun with it.

Also, I feel that your problem with "unpleasant players" is one that many people in-game are already managing quite well by communicating with folks, and by finding people whose playing style fits them, without closing out anyone who is new to their circles or to the entire game.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 01:58:23 pm »
I spend a lot of time with complete strangers on this game. There have been many times where my patience just isn't up to it. I can recall five different incidents this weekend where I lost my temper at a player who wasn't keeping up with my expectations. I tend to make the assumption that if a person did not carry out my order by the second time I repeat it, they are making the conscious choice to disrupt the game for myself and the other people on the ship.

However the best way to deal with bad players is by yelling at them. Either they become good players, quit the game, or lurk around to troll. Most of the time they become good players, so I stop yelling at them and start complimenting them. Some times they leave the server and I never see them again, so they are no longer my problem. Very rarely they will stick around inspite of all the verbal abuse I heap upon them. At this point I finish the game, block the name, and let the rest of the lobby know I am leaving because of <troll player name> so they can block the name too.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 02:34:48 pm »
I am, sadly, pretty lax when someone on my ship doesn't listen to me. I don't know if they can't hear me, think I'm talking to someone else, think that whatever they're doing is better than my orders, or are really trolling. Usually, I can figure out a way to make up for their incompetence, but if they really are trolling, I'll troll them back. It's not hard to turn the ship so that they can't shoot the gun they want to shoot, or going to a hiding spot and having a deck party while I bad mouth them in a playful, not-serious way or remain completely silent (works incredibly well) . They eventually get bored when they see that they're unable to make me mad, so they'll either leave mid-match, or they'll leave the next match when I continue to not fly the ship.

This hasn't happened often, and when it does, the enemy and allied captains are sympathetic enough to deal with my issues.

Other than putting up with it or trolling back, there currently is nothing we, as players, can do. I agree that we should have some way of getting rid of these players, but such a large scale segregation would cause more harm than good. I still think the best way to deal with this is giving power to the players. MUSE says we can't kick, so we need some other option that could be used in-game to dissuade players from playing independently and encourage teamwork. Kicking a player off of the guns, maybe a button that could mute them for the entire ship, or even a way to replace them with an AI, forcing them to watch out something.

I figure a Captain abusing a 'kick' function or similar power would be a metaphorical death wish. There are two other witnesses on a ship that could report a captain for abusing his power.

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 05:25:20 pm »
No.

Was going to post this myself, but I see you've done the job. Have a salute.

Offline Mepic Von Shreck

• Salutes: 11
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • Shrek
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 05:29:55 pm »
Right, I feel, as a newish player, I should have a little say.

When I first came onto GOI, I played a bit with people I know in real life, as we could communicate well with each other and all know when to take things seriously. This resulted in some pretty good wins in beginner matches. When they went offline for the most part, I ended up joining a random crew with one of the guys remaining (engi). Of course, it was a pyra (can't remember the build but it was amazingly good fun) and we ended up chatting a fair bit and having a great time, despite many of the other beginner ships being pretty dreadful (no lies here). Because of them being so bad, we decided to go to a non-beginner DM, being 1-1-1 for the most part. In those matches we had 5 perfect wins, with us taking quite a few kills despite being so new. And we weren't being overly serious about it. If people messed up (we had some hilarious hwacha disasters) we'd just laugh it off and joke, before getting back to semi-seriousness. This was great fun and actually worked really effectively.

However, since it could be arguably said to be 'casual' in the way we played, despite the fact we were pretty damn successful - following this I've ran quite a few DMs with the pilot, and have formed a pretty decent crew of people through random matches - your idea would result in us not being able to join any 'experienced' games. I think it's ridiculously elitist to think that everyone who doesn't take GOI seriously to the point of shouting at people (I've come across a few myself, though fortunately haven't been shouted at directly) shouldn't be 'in with the cool kids', so to speak.

It was only through joining the non-beginner matches and having a laugh with more experienced players that I really developed my own skill and ended up racking up some really good, fun games... And wins.

So it's just ridiculous that you would act so elitist when, really, it's the non-beginner matches that push beginners, like me, to become more experienced in GOI.

TL;DR The original post is utter elitist rubbish that will do nothing to help GOI.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 06:26:22 pm »
Right, I feel, as a newish player, I should have a little say.

When I first came onto GOI, I played a bit with people I know in real life, as we could communicate well with each other and all know when to take things seriously. This resulted in some pretty good wins in beginner matches. When they went offline for the most part, I ended up joining a random crew with one of the guys remaining (engi). Of course, it was a pyra (can't remember the build but it was amazingly good fun) and we ended up chatting a fair bit and having a great time, despite many of the other beginner ships being pretty dreadful (no lies here). Because of them being so bad, we decided to go to a non-beginner DM, being 1-1-1 for the most part. In those matches we had 5 perfect wins, with us taking quite a few kills despite being so new. And we weren't being overly serious about it. If people messed up (we had some hilarious hwacha disasters) we'd just laugh it off and joke, before getting back to semi-seriousness. This was great fun and actually worked really effectively.

However, since it could be arguably said to be 'casual' in the way we played, despite the fact we were pretty damn successful - following this I've ran quite a few DMs with the pilot, and have formed a pretty decent crew of people through random matches - your idea would result in us not being able to join any 'experienced' games. I think it's ridiculously elitist to think that everyone who doesn't take GOI seriously to the point of shouting at people (I've come across a few myself, though fortunately haven't been shouted at directly) shouldn't be 'in with the cool kids', so to speak.

It was only through joining the non-beginner matches and having a laugh with more experienced players that I really developed my own skill and ended up racking up some really good, fun games... And wins.

So it's just ridiculous that you would act so elitist when, really, it's the non-beginner matches that push beginners, like me, to become more experienced in GOI.

TL;DR The original post is utter elitist rubbish that will do nothing to help GOI.

You sir get a cookie and a salute from me :) Pretty much sums up what a lot of us are trying to get across.