Author Topic: MAPS Balance Discussion v1.3.1  (Read 33639 times)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
Re: MAPS Balance Discussion v1.3.1
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 12:44:55 am »
Would it be possible to have all the clouds in the maps move?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 01:13:22 am »
Would it be possible to have all the clouds in the maps move?
Oh, I don't think that's necessary, it was just amusing to see was all.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 09:51:00 am »
I really don't like the new clouds on Dunes.  It's like flying through fog, no clear view to get you bearing on where you are and at spawning in you team mate can be invisible despite being only half a map square away.  The sense of space has gone from the map.

Exactly the same I wanted to express with my previous statements.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 02:50:34 pm »
I know that generally major changes shouldn't be made just for competitive play but I think Canyon Ambush is continuing to be problematic. A map that should be about the Canyon is often regulated to camping in either the red or blue spawns and taking potshots at each other. A simple enough solution would be to reduce the top edges of the map so that the spawns stop being the valley of death they currently are. This wouldn't really change pub matches in any significant way and help reduce the ignoring of the Canyon we currently have in Canyon Ambush.

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 02:54:42 pm »
I understand having clouds in the open area to prevent too much sniping, but in the canyon itself, where there is a lot of hard cover, I don't.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 05:12:53 pm »
I know that generally major changes shouldn't be made just for competitive play but I think Canyon Ambush is continuing to be problematic. A map that should be about the Canyon is often regulated to camping in either the red or blue spawns and taking potshots at each other. A simple enough solution would be to reduce the top edges of the map so that the spawns stop being the valley of death they currently are. This wouldn't really change pub matches in any significant way and help reduce the ignoring of the Canyon we currently have in Canyon Ambush.

You know, I suggested the same thing 5 months ago, interesting to see it come up again.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 05:33:23 pm »

You know, I suggested the same thing 5 months ago, interesting to see it come up again.

It's the only way to fix it without adding extra hard cover in both spawns.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 03:44:26 am »

It's the only way to fix it without adding extra hard cover in both spawns.

Saying that most the time I spawn in the Canyons when on Red's side...I don't see what the real issue is when it comes to adding a little more mess.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 05:59:10 am »

That's a slippery slope. The majority of players don't play competitive GoI.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 09:19:35 am »

That's a slippery slope. The majority of players don't play competitive GoI.
Slippery slope for what? Making changes which makes no difference to regular play and is good for competitive play?

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 11:07:32 am »
Calico, that is why I suggested a change that would have no real effect on non-competitive play.

Also btw argument by slippery slope is a logical fallacy. Its basically a strawman.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 01:55:17 pm »
Slippery slope for what? Making changes which makes no difference to regular play and is good for competitive play?

I don't think asking for changes that affect general gameplay is the right way to go, it is potentially divisive. I already ran a thread on why there was a general perception that the mercury changes were being forced on general by competitive, and that issue hasn't gone away, by which I mean the root cause of why the idea gained currency rather than the actual changes to the mercury.

If there are issues with competitive play It would be better to work it out in-house with competition regulations rather than a global change imo.

Calico, that is why I suggested a change that would have no real effect on non-competitive play.

You're suggesting, as I understand it, setting a ceiling on the map so ships can't look over the central canyons, to stop snipers from getting enough height to target the opposite spawn, the ceiling would also however shut down 1 access route into blue spawn, that affects general play.

Should it become reality, besides the reason I gave in reply to Imagine, it can be cited as precedent to justify other changes based on purely competitive needs.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 01:59:54 pm »
Sammy is suggesting that the spawn areas on either side of the map are made smaller so that people can't sit so deep into their spawns and the fight can be forced into the canyons.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »
Ok Sammy - I interpreted "top edges" to mean "upmost verticallly". Rather than make the spawns less deep how about adding more clutter giving more cover options.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 10:33:54 pm »
Ok Sammy - I interpreted "top edges" to mean "upmost verticallly". Rather than make the spawns less deep how about adding more clutter giving more cover options.

That would also be a nice change. It was suggested to Eric during the fireside chat, and he said he'd look into it.