Author Topic: pyramidions, pyramidions everywhere  (Read 67582 times)

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
Re: pyramidions, pyramidions everywhere
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2013, 05:32:55 am »
The pyramidion has a few reasons why it's so widely used I'll explain em here, even though most have been previously mentioned.

-Easiest to fly out of the gate. It's a point the front to shoot type ship you don't need to know weapon arcs and most new pilots don't take the time to learn.
-Best multiroll ship. Changing from sniper to brawler is as easy as turning different weapon sets on an enemy.
-It rams hard. Lets be honest ramming people into oblivion is fun and for some reason everyone to ever get this game knows the pyri rams hard.
-Good top speed. <-- yeah that.

It has alot of negatives when compared to other ships but things like maneuvering, acceleration, and large hitboxes don't enter into a new pilots mind.
It really is the easiest ship to just pick up and fly. Mastering it is of course just as hard as any other ship and crewing on one at least IMO is tougher than some.
As I see the Pyri it is probably going to stay a favorite ship of new players, because of everything I mentioned above. Alot of those players won't leave it because it works. That's fine. However alot of players will drift to ships like the Junker and Goldfish, hell maybe even the Galleon. Because those ships do certain things much better than the Pyri can.
The squid as it is now just isn't really worth mentioning, I started on a Squid pre 1.2 and loved it, but it has lost its edge with the patch. You won't see many people trying to win using them. The spire well the Spire is just a troll ship IMO.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2013, 08:34:54 am »
-It rams hard. Lets be honest ramming people into oblivion is fun and for some reason everyone to ever get this game knows the pyri rams hard.

I really love that the Pyr's design communicates some of its function so well. First time you see that big pointy bit on the front, you immediately assume that it's for ramming, even without being told that it's an extension of the hull armor. 

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2013, 10:47:47 am »
First time you see that big pointy bit on the front, you immediately assume that it's for ramming, even without being told that it's an extension of the hull armor.
That aspect of the ship- the hull armor up at the balloon's level- is my favorite part. Most newer players aim for balloons. By having some hull armor up top, a new team can still be effective and have a chance at destroying a ship. And, cos the Pyra is so popular, many newer players will face against it many times in the skies. The only problem is that those players may not recognize that they are hitting the armor, so they may try to translate their 'shoot the balloon to win' strategy to other ships.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 12:21:15 am »

That aspect of the ship- the hull armor up at the balloon's level- is my favorite part. Most newer players aim for balloons. By having some hull armor up top, a new team can still be effective and have a chance at destroying a ship. And, cos the Pyra is so popular, many newer players will face against it many times in the skies. The only problem is that those players may not recognize that they are hitting the armor, so they may try to translate their 'shoot the balloon to win' strategy to other ships.

Also makes it the easiest to kill with a carronade.  For the most part, I always go for a Pyramid's components because they are all so close to the hull that even if you miss...you're going to hit hull.  When on a merc, trying to snipe out the guns mean taking out hull...
let alone if you carronade their balloon, you take out their hull and balloon easily...hell, I've taken out pyramid's hull before their balloons.

Also tend to aim for them with a lumberjack...same results...though mostly targeting them because they're a threat (that and you can pretty much heavily weaken them for a quick mop-up with your other guns.)  The fact that their hull is right around their balloon is also nice for heavy flak.

That is the downside with the pyramid being rather popular though, so many people aim for balloons because of that hull.

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2013, 09:00:21 am »
The pyramidion is like that hot chick everybody wants she's packing in all the right place and easy to handle but then you  find out she's a slut.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2013, 01:06:13 pm »
Point and shoot ship, easy to pick up and fly with, sturdy and tanky and can support the kill combo of a Gatling and a Flak in front, making it very potent even for a newbie.

When I first started playing, just like most people, I had no idea what the different weapons were good for, so when I joined up on a Pyramidion with an other captain, I just looked around his ship, noted the Gatling and the Flak, pretty much tested out what they were doing myself and understood the basic concept.

Next day I tell a friend of mine to equip these on his ship, he's not the best captain, being as new as I was, yet we still managed to rack up kills like nothing. It's just the ship is the easiest to get used to and probably the most forgiving for extremely agressive players.

Still, that doesn't make it much better than any other ship, it's just easy to learn, but probably as hard to master as other ships. It will keep being popular for new players as long as Gat/Flak is the meta.

Personaly I avoid it like the plauge, I find it the least interesting ship out of them all.
Also who mentioned the term 'Metamidion'? Made me laugh so hard x3
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:08:28 pm by EchoLG »

Offline Letus

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2013, 02:28:36 pm »
The pyramidion is like that hot chick everybody wants she's packing in all the right place and easy to handle but then you  find out she's a slut.

HA

On a side note, yesterday night in a regional chat, someone said the "Pyramidion is the strongest ship."  ...one double-flak + merc Galleon and a Gat-Gat-Flak Junker against two Pyramidions proved that wrong......they're probably the easiest ship to heavy flak against since if you miss their main hull...you're still going to hit their hull.

...on another side note...would try to fly a pyramid again using a merc + mortar combo........
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:34:01 pm by Letus »

Offline Phores

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2013, 12:18:12 pm »
A piercing heavy gun would go a long way for this... just saying.
If suddenly another ship had easy access to armor and integrity destruction it would be a huge difference. As is, light slots are in many places preferable to medium due to light having the guns that really tear apart the armor (and usually share an arc with another slot that can pop in the explosive damage to make it count).

Galleon technically has it on the left side but separate decks for the pierce and heavy explosive damage make it awkward to co-ordinate, all options sacrifice a needed member of the team (currently, downgrading one of the mediums for a gat looks like it would be a massive boost...).
 Spire has the light+medium on same facing but is again hard to get them co-ordinated... combined with it's low health make it a priority target and get it destroyed before it has much chance.

A pierce damage heavy gun (why not simply a heavy chain gun?) would open up killer goldfish to counter pyrmi but that could just open up another can of worms...

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2013, 12:49:09 pm »
A pierce damage heavy gun (why not simply a heavy chain gun?) would open up killer goldfish to counter pyrmi but that could just open up another can of worms...

Like Heavy Gat/Glak galleons and Heavy Gat Flak Spires? xD

Offline Phores

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2013, 01:18:33 pm »
Hey, at least those 2 ships pay for it in terms of sluggishness and being made of paper, respectively. The pyrmi is pretty fast and decent hp. (Also the galleon can't do it whilst aggressively persuing like the pyrmi can).

Didn't say it wouldn't bring other ships to the same flawed meta, but atleast you would see more than Junkers and Pyramids.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2013, 01:56:19 pm »
I used to love the Pyra... I still do, but for both ramming and looks only.  Fighting one isn't fun, fighting two is boring, whether you're winning or not. Now, when somebody uses something other than Gat/Flak, they're pretty fun to fight.

I just wish they'd lower it's maneuverability. It's super easy to turn and keep the guns focused on a Squid with Phoenix claw. It's even easy to chase a Squid with Kerosene. Taking out a Pyra's engines is also incredibly difficult since the engineer can smack all three of them, take a few steps and quickly repair the hull.

It has WAY more advantages than disadvantages. Sure you can beat a Pyra, even make it look easy, but no other ship has that kind of survivability, adaptation, and ease of use.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2013, 02:15:13 pm »
If I know I am taking an inexperienced crew, especially main engi, I'm probably taking a pyri just because it is so easy to assign tasks, and super easy for a noob engi to keep up with.

I think that ease of use is the biggest reason for even experienced captains taking the pyri so often -- they know it is the easiest for unfamiliar crew to handle.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2013, 02:59:48 pm »
I just wish they'd lower it's maneuverability. It's super easy to turn and keep the guns focused on a Squid with Phoenix claw. It's even easy to chase a Squid with Kerosene. Taking out a Pyra's engines is also incredibly difficult since the engineer can smack all three of them, take a few steps and quickly repair the hull.

The Pyramidion turns pretty slowly, the problem here is the gatling's wide turning arc, that's why it seems like they are out turning you, when they realy aren't, their guns are.

Offline Letus

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 04:49:17 pm »

Already exists, it's called a Lumberjack / Flak Galleon with a Mercury light.

Granted, such a combo isn't as easy as point and shoot like all the guns on the Pyramidion are.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2013, 04:51:49 pm »
Already exists, it's called a Lumberjack / Flak Galleon with a Mercury light.

Granted, such a combo isn't as easy as point and shoot like all the guns on the Pyramidion are.

Yeah but, the Mercury is a slow weapon that is ineffective close range. A Heavy gatling would both out-DPS it and would probably cause even more havoc on enemy guns and even severe perma-hull damage aside from chewing through armor like its nothing.