Author Topic: pyramidions, pyramidions everywhere  (Read 67376 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: pyramidions, pyramidions everywhere
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2013, 05:50:10 pm »
Already exists, it's called a Lumberjack / Flak Galleon with a Mercury light.

Granted, such a combo isn't as easy as point and shoot like all the guns on the Pyramidion are.

Yeah but, the Mercury is a slow weapon that is ineffective close range. A Heavy gatling would both out-DPS it and would probably cause even more havoc on enemy guns and even severe perma-hull damage aside from chewing through armor like its nothing.

Hmm... A close range piercing gun that can out-DPS the merc...

I've got it! Let's call it the "Whirlwind Light Gatling Gun"

:P

But in all seriousness, unless the current piercing weapons are significantly nerfed, a heavy version would be preposterously OP when combined with a heavy flak on a Galleon broadside. Think about how powerful the gatling is now. Do you really want to see something that can strip armour better than that (and that's without even getting around to the major hull damage)?

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2013, 08:35:24 pm »
Hmm... A close range piercing gun that can out-DPS the merc...

I've got it! Let's call it the "Whirlwind Light Gatling Gun"

:P

But in all seriousness, unless the current piercing weapons are significantly nerfed, a heavy version would be preposterously OP when combined with a heavy flak on a Galleon broadside. Think about how powerful the gatling is now. Do you really want to see something that can strip armour better than that (and that's without even getting around to the major hull damage)?

Well, my very first post about Gat/Flak Spires and Galleons was kinda ironic and sarcastic, of course it's a horrible idea and I definately don't want to see an even more destructive version of the gatling and especialy a heavy one that a Galleon can take advantage if.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2013, 10:30:25 pm »
I've got a few words that involve countering a pyra.

Goldfish.
Manticore.
Burst rounds.
Chute Vent.
Phoenix Claw.
Port-side carronade.
Manticore.
In that order.

If that wasn't detailed enough for some of you, I'll expand a bit.
See a Gat/flack Pyra? Grab your trusty Disabler Goldfish and her forward Manticore. Throw a port-side carronade on her.

Tell your gunner to equip burst rounds. Go ahead and rush the Pyra. Make sure both your engies are on the hull, because it WILL go down.
When your gunner is in effective range, he'll shoot the burst Manticore, and disable the front guns. The enemy pilot will see his weapons down, but will likely still go in for the ram. When the Manticore is almost done wrecking everything, Chute Vent.

Ideally, the pyra will sail right over you. (I would not suggest Hydrogen to dodge the ram, because the enemy pilot may be able to match it. Chute Vents are rarer, because, to most pilots, down = bad.)

Slap on your Phoenix Claw and have one of your engies hop on that port side carronade. Do as much damage to the balloon/armor on the balloon as they can while you turn without the claw to spin your Manticore back around.

By this point, the Manticore should be done or almost done reloading, so cause havoc on their engines/port-side guns (depending on if they have the claw).

Congratulations! You now have a completely disabled Pyramidion! Your brawler ally can now finish him (if you haven't already) or you can take care of your own dirty work (if you aren't running a completely disabler Goldie).

The only trick is making sure that Gat doesn't take out your Manticore on the approach. I try to take as much damage with the balloon as I can. You're going to drop eventually anyway.

This strategy can be countered pretty easily by those who have mastered the Pyra, but if that pilot has got a 1-3 next to the wheel icon in the lobby, you can trust kills outta this one. 

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2013, 10:40:58 pm »
Awesome, Kirk. I'm gonna try that.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2013, 01:50:56 am »
Yeah, it's very easy to take advantage of the pyramidion's slow turning if you know what you're doing. If a pyramidion has its guns pointed straight at you, you probably shouldn't stay where you are.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2013, 11:19:30 am »

Goldfish.
Manticore.
Burst rounds.
Chute Vent.
Phoenix Claw.
Port-side carronade.
Manticore.
In that order.

If that wasn't detailed enough for some of you, I'll expand a bit.
See a Gat/flack Pyra? Grab your trusty Disabler Goldfish and her forward Manticore. Throw a port-side carronade on her.

Tell your gunner to equip burst rounds. Go ahead and rush the Pyra. Make sure both your engies are on the hull, because it WILL go down.
When your gunner is in effective range, he'll shoot the burst Manticore, and disable the front guns. The enemy pilot will see his weapons down, but will likely still go in for the ram. When the Manticore is almost done wrecking everything, Chute Vent.

Ideally, the pyra will sail right over you. (I would not suggest Hydrogen to dodge the ram, because the enemy pilot may be able to match it. Chute Vents are rarer, because, to most pilots, down = bad.)

Slap on your Phoenix Claw and have one of your engies hop on that port side carronade. Do as much damage to the balloon/armor on the balloon as they can while you turn without the claw to spin your Manticore back around.

By this point, the Manticore should be done or almost done reloading, so cause havoc on their engines/port-side guns (depending on if they have the claw).

Congratulations! You now have a completely disabled Pyramidion! Your brawler ally can now finish him (if you haven't already) or you can take care of your own dirty work (if you aren't running a completely disabler Goldie).

The only trick is making sure that Gat doesn't take out your Manticore on the approach. I try to take as much damage with the balloon as I can. You're going to drop eventually anyway.

This strategy can be countered pretty easily by those who have mastered the Pyra, but if that pilot has got a 1-3 next to the wheel icon in the lobby, you can trust kills outta this one.

First of all a Manticore equiped Goldie is not a Pyra counter, it's just a disabler ship with the same effect any ship is hits.

Also, ideally, you want to be above a Pyra since its long nose prevents their guns from shooting at you, go below and prepare to get wrecked cause of the massive arc of both the flak and gatling. Trying to circle then with a Goldie when you don't have ally support won't prove to be effective since with their piloting tools they will be able to keep their guns on you.

If you can kill a Pyra using a Manticore fish and that alone, your enemies are probably horrible, hence the whole arguement about countering the Pyra is kinda null, since a counter should be a counter even on higher level play to be valid and also apply on an equally skilled enviroment.

Of course, Chute vent helps with avoiding their rams, but any decent Pyra pilot will probably just use Kerozene to break rapidly and just watch as you go down while their guns can still hit you, unless you time it extremely well.

It's a battleship, basicaly, it brings brute strength on the field, it's not OP by any means, it's slow turning can still be taken advantage of as it is very vulnerable to flanking and focusing since it can't accellerate fast. Still, just like the basic fighter classes in RPGs, the Pyra is simple and easy to play and understand, hence why it's so popular.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:22:20 am by EchoLG »

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2013, 11:21:57 am »
The counter to a Pyri is a Junker

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2013, 11:37:16 am »
Yes. The Junker can out-DPS the Pyramidion without a problem.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 11:39:04 am »

Don't forget about the Junker's exellent turning rate and how easy it is to get on a Pyra's blind spots with it.

Also Trifectas everywhere.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2013, 11:40:43 am »

Don't forget about the Junker's exellent turning rate and how easy it is to get on a Pyra's blind spots with it.

That's part of the reason it can out-DPS it. The other part is how much easier it is to run buffgineers on both gat and flak on the Junker.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2013, 12:02:49 pm »
The difference is that the Pyri is a lot easier to crew, especially for the engis, than the Junker.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2013, 12:04:50 pm »

The other part is how much easier it is to run buffgineers on both gat and flak on the Junker.

I honestly haven't tried going double buff-gineer on the Junker yet, should give it a go, thanks for bringing it up.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2013, 12:12:45 pm »
I wouldn't because you make the % of dieing once that armor dies even higher, and for a junker its like 95%

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2013, 12:18:46 pm »
I wouldn't because you make the % of dieing once that armor dies even higher, and for a junker its like 95%

Eh, experimentation doesn't hurt once in a while

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22:38 pm »
It's a safe bet that I've tried it before and speak from experience, lol.

Not to say no one should ever do it to see for themselves. But that was my experience with it.