Author Topic: pyramidions, pyramidions everywhere  (Read 66594 times)

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: pyramidions, pyramidions everywhere
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2013, 12:31:57 pm »
I wouldn't because you make the % of dieing once that armor dies even higher, and for a junker its like 95%

where does this increase in dying come from?  The only thing that changes is that only one engi up top has fire suppression, which isn't a problem at all.

Hull/front gun: Spanner/Mallet/Extinguisher; top side guns/engines: Spanner/Mallet/Buff; Bot deck: Pipe/chem/buff

No loss on repairs at all.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2013, 12:34:07 pm »
I wouldn't because you make the % of dieing once that armor dies even higher, and for a junker its like 95%

But the Junker still has lots of hull armour, and with two buffgineers it should be buffed coming into the engagement. The Pyramidion crew has to be better than the Junker crew to beat that, especially when you consider the Junker's two buffed guns vs. the Pyra's one buffed gun, and the Junker's easier trifecta (and we have to assume equal skill).

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2013, 12:37:13 pm »
You guys are really on me today, heh.

You assume I'm using 3 engineers, which I never do. That's where I'm coming from with that answer.

Offline RomanKar

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:41 pm »
You guys are really on me today, heh.

You assume I'm using 3 engineers, which I never do. That's where I'm coming from with that answer.

Well that makes sense.  If you are running 2 engis and a gunner, then 2 buff hammers are going to be a problem, yes.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:21 pm »
The only time I got 2 buff to work with a gunner is on a pyra. Haven't tried it enough to warrant it's use over a regular repair engie as main.

Offline RomanKar

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2013, 12:50:25 pm »
To support your point, couple a nights ago my main engi took buff because he was getting an achievement and it was not happy times at all.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2013, 12:57:15 pm »
The one time it was good, was when buffing would make destroyed engines work, back when rebuilding them took longer than buffing.

Anyway, enough derailing. I'm a terrible role model.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2013, 01:01:14 pm »

First of all a Manticore equiped Goldie is not a Pyra counter, it's just a disabler ship with the same effect any ship is hits.

Also, ideally, you want to be above a Pyra since its long nose prevents their guns from shooting at you, go below and prepare to get wrecked cause of the massive arc of both the flak and gatling. Trying to circle then with a Goldie when you don't have ally support won't prove to be effective since with their piloting tools they will be able to keep their guns on you.

If you can kill a Pyra using a Manticore fish and that alone, your enemies are probably horrible, hence the whole arguement about countering the Pyra is kinda null, since a counter should be a counter even on higher level play to be valid and also apply on an equally skilled enviroment.

Of course, Chute vent helps with avoiding their rams, but any decent Pyra pilot will probably just use Kerozene to break rapidly and just watch as you go down while their guns can still hit you, unless you time it extremely well.

It's a battleship, basicaly, it brings brute strength on the field, it's not OP by any means, it's slow turning can still be taken advantage of as it is very vulnerable to flanking and focusing since it can't accellerate fast. Still, just like the basic fighter classes in RPGs, the Pyra is simple and easy to play and understand, hence why it's so popular.

Right on all accounts, but you're looking at it too generally.

Yes, Disablers gon' disable. This is just a specific disabling strategy to disable a headstrong pilot/captain flying a Pyramidion. Not to say being headstrong is bad, (I consider myself quite an aggressive flyer) it's just common, so it's good to be able to thwart the specific tactics.

Ideally, on a fully operational Pyramidion, yes, you do want to be above it. But if you've got a decent gunner, they took care of those front guns and their turning arks. Then you pull the carronade on them, putting some serous damage on that balloon. This pulls one of the combat engies on the top deck off repairing his gun and on the the balloon. Fortunately, the port-side front gun is the one that will be abandoned to repair the balloon, and because the captain will probably be turning to port to get his port-side guns on you, you don't have to worry about the gun in that position too much.

Good communication thwarts this, but Manticores cause a certain panic on most ships that is replicated by few other weapons.

Because you haven't hit them with any piercing damage, their armor is likely still up, which is why I suggested you let your ally come in and finish the kill. This is actually preferred. By "Finish your own dirty work (if you aren't running a completely disabler Goldie)." I meant that you have a starboard Gatling Gun as opposed to a flamer, carronade, or other disablement/harassment weapon. This gives you a nice piercing/explosive combo because the Whirlwind and the Hwacha actually have a little sweet-spot crossover on the Goldie. Once again, less preferred, but still might be effective.

Despite the sheer amount of words and explaining done in the two posts, this is no where near a Cogs-level battle plan, just a fun way to try to take out a few of those pyras other than Gat/Flak them before they Gat/Flak you.

Safety and peace, my friends!

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2013, 02:52:44 pm »
Well, I didn't disagree that you can take them out of the battle for quite a bit by using a Hwacha or any loadout with the Goldie, I know of the notorious Gat/Hwacha Fish build, it's pretty effective for more than taking out Pyras.

I just looked into too much detail, so, what I wanted to say is, you can't just say you 'counter' a specific ship by disabling it with a Manticore, cause well, this will disable any ship. That's all. Other than that, yes, it is a way to beat them I guess, one of the many.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2013, 11:47:59 pm »
One of the many, indeed.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2013, 03:05:21 am »
The new incendiary round is pretty hilarious to use against a pyramid...
Wether it be Gatling gun for rapid hull, slow spread out fire...
...or a Lumberjack, Heavy Carronade, or Manticore for wide area...your everything is on fire...
there's just something funny about shooting one Lumberjack, or one Hellhound....and seeing the entire ship glow in flame...

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2013, 03:17:56 am »
Does the new incendiary round set things on fire with its AOE?  I was under the impression it was just at the point of contact.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2013, 11:22:34 am »
Does the new incendiary round set things on fire with its AOE?  I was under the impression it was just at the point of contact.

Let's say this...
One lumberjack set the guns, hull, and balloon on fire...

Though that does not mean if it's for the whole AoE, or the point of contacts from the AoE

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2013, 01:52:14 pm »
Okay, I do have one complaint with Pyras. They go way too damn fast for a battleship, the fact that they can keep up with a Squid is kinda disturbing. That's all o 3o

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2013, 02:36:13 pm »
I know, right? >.< me and my Squid can't escape 'em without Tar.