Author Topic: Spawn system feedback 1.3.4  (Read 113921 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Spawn system feedback 1.3.4
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2013, 07:38:10 pm »
Have you ever tested a very very short capture time, like only a few seconds? Maybe even just one second. That would change the dynamic from 'Capture the point' to 'Stay on the point'. Drift off for a few seconds, and the other team can grab it and start getting points. Might be a very terrible idea, or more fun.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:57 pm »
there no way to fix how bad the cp's are at this stage from what i can se they will never be fair
I know this is a quite off topic, but one of the issues with capturing the points is the ability to block is very powerful if you already own the point. As long as you can get someone from your team to the point fast enough, they will never neutralise/capture it.

Perhaps if you die next to the point which you own, it "damages" the point by 30% or something (as in, instantly reduces the capture ring), allowing for a quicker neutralisation and thus, capture. This may allow much more changeover.

Suicide shortcuts have always existed in CK maps, especially Flayed Hills where the respawn points were in the middle of the map so you could get a head start on the next point by dying and respawning halfway there.  The ability to choose your respawn location just made the suicide shortcut strategy more obvious.  The only way I can see to reduce this shortcut is to increase the respawn times and cluster the spawn points (what awkm said above) so that a team is only close to one point.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2013, 01:39:33 am »
I haven't had a chance to get on cp maps much so take this opinion with a grain of salt but conceptually I think longer spawn times would be needed in cp maps, if people are spawning closer due to the new system.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:15 pm »
Regarding spawn times and capture times, I'm not too worried about those because can be easily tweaked without hot fixes.  I can accept suggestions on those as more people get to play them.

Offline NorwegianWolf

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 2
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2013, 01:23:11 pm »
Alright, really don't have the luxury of time to read through all these posts so I'l just post my suggestion. From what I could gather from the dev app you guys are trying to make only the spawn points in the middle of the map and the ones close to the team's starting spawn available. This could in my eyes lead to very heavy camping, more so than usual. Instead what I think could be done is keep the spawn points all over the map active, except for those within a certain radius of an enemy vessel. The ideal length of this radius in my mind should be the same length as 1 square of the current map-grid. This way you can chose between spawn points all around the map, and they will spawn far enough away so the other team has a chance to react. And using each individual map-grid as the spawn length will compensate for the smaller maps.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2013, 01:33:03 pm »
@NorwegianWolf

Well I guess there might be a month and half worth of camping then.  The proximity detection on top of spawn choosing is a feature request that cannot be put into a hot fix.

Although sniping is not guaranteed.  I will evaluate how it goes over the course of the month and see how to rectify.  However, I don't think it will be an epidemic of camping.  In the previous version, you could also camp on your side of the map.  Now, you just choose where exactly you spawn on your side of the map.  We'll see.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2013, 01:52:03 pm »
I haven't tried this out yet (busy week, will try it out this weekend) but if you honestly give it a month, it'll turn into an epidemic of camping. Sure you could camp before, but you couldn't choose to spawn somewhere advantageous. Now it's a sure thing if you hang in your base vs those trying to kill you out of theirs.

You seem to have the base idea down but the logic isn't there. Why would I move to a hot zone knowing I can hang it out near my base for guaranteed spawns in case something goes wrong? The only people going over there are those who don't know any better, or know the other team is worthless.

This needs some logic for the attacking team. If you successfully attack the enemy base, then you should get partial control, and earn a spawn closer or in their base. Otherwise there is no incentive for me to go in there.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2013, 02:10:54 pm »
Yeah at least disable the spawns near the enemy even if they are in "your" zone.
I totally dont see why you could spawn anywhere near a fight after you died.
The advantage you get from this is extreme. There is no reason to give the enemy that advantage when you can just sit in your base.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2013, 02:13:19 pm »
@Zill

Too bad I can't do that right now.  So yeah, 1.5 months of camping it is then.

Completely open spawns in all regions of the map clearly didn't work so we're at forming lines of scrimmage.  The next pass can be exactly your idea, Zill.  As your team pushes forward, you push your line of scrimmage just like in American football.

The only problem is that this is positive reinforcement cycle and we don't have a ball that the defending team can kick and reestablish their ground.  Will think more on.  Plenty of time to do so anyway :P

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2013, 02:15:00 pm »
Again, any big logic changes cannot happen for next week.

We have to deal with what is coming in the hot fix.  I can, however, push the ideas and have try to get an engineer assigned to it next patch.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2013, 02:36:26 pm »
Well my point was mostly, you're just poisoning yourself, either by doing nothing, or putting in the new bit. You seemed to of picked your preferred one though and I'll leave it at that. Hopefully in 1.5 months we can get something going.

Nice to know we were on the same wavelength for the future at least.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2013, 02:43:28 pm »
@zill

Whatever I do at this point, I'm just screwed anyway.  So yeah.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2013, 02:45:28 pm »
Hypathetically, if you put out your base/scrimmage system and people still complain, will you give up on the spawn choosing system?

Offline NorwegianWolf

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 2
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2013, 02:48:48 pm »
Wasn't expecting any big changes in such a short amount of time anyway. As it is now the game is like a clay statue. We give our thoughts on what curves will give the most beautiful statue, and you evaluate which one is best. With this community we have it is going to be a masterpiece I'm sure. ;)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2013, 02:49:24 pm »
Hypathetically, if you put out your base/scrimmage system and people still complain, will you give up on the spawn choosing system?

I doubt they will. I like choice honestly, just it needs to be put in right, which is very much a work in progress.