Author Topic: Carronades 1.3.2  (Read 93789 times)

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Carronades 1.3.2
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2013, 04:59:07 pm »
I'd be very curious to test 400M heavy carro range and 350M light carro range.

I feel that would solve most of the things people have been complaining about while still allowing blending to be done easily once in range.

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2013, 01:40:11 am »
Personally, I felt the Carronades needed nerfed pre-patch. Why someone felt the need to buff it I don't understand.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2013, 05:35:25 am »
As I said, none of those changes were needed.

Edit: By the way, it was not worth it for various reasons, including the fact that now everyone is complaining about a gun that was alright before, this is extremely annoying to me since I kept insisting that it should NOT be changed at all in 1.3.2, this is a very frightening fact considering what has happened to other guns due to massive complaints because of simple changes that guns didn't realy need.

The carronade was fine in 1.2, just bring it back to how it was and leave it alone, please?

They've gone and done the same with all the ships. 1.2 wreaked the game as far as I'm concerned. Yeah the game was broken before but Muse fixed it and then didn't try to keep it relatively close to what it was before, which was fantastic except for the part that was broken. Totally wreaked havoc. It has been a problem with Muse for a long time. Great folks and a great studio but when they fix or tweak something they tend to either go too far or not enough. Its taken most of this year for them to get the heavy flak back to decent again. Now we have OP carronades and broken ships. It wouldn't be that bad but there is no real counters to carronade because we don't have ships capable of doing it. In 1.1 Blenderfish were nothing to fear. I know, I shot a ton of them down. Unfortunately, small team and we have to deal with it. But that doesn't stop me from every chance I get asking for a squid fix. Same as with the Hydro/Chute problem, which still isn't fixed.

They made changes to things that the community as a whole didn't really want. They are asking us more now via the dev app, which is good, but I sure would have liked that access back when 1.2 was going into development so I could at least have said something to stop the madness from happening. There was a beautiful competitive scene growing before 1.2 but now, meh...we got too much of a one trick pony scene going on. Yeah there is optimal setups and loadouts but there can't be such a huge gap in ship capabilities. You could cut out about 4 ships out of the game and they wouldn't be missed. In 1.1 that number was 1-2 ships.

The lack of capable vessels directly impacts abilities to counter and attack with different loadouts. Which is affecting the perception of carronades. Just a simple thing of returning some ships like the squid to their original abilities would really turn this game around. Give teams back the flexibility they once had.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2013, 07:09:35 am »
Judging from how Hydrogen and Vent worked on 1.1 from videos I have watched of it, I would never agree for that to be brought t how it was. Aside from the fact that it looked absolutely ridiculous, it gave very heavy ships an equally ridiculous advantage of having it, which kinda detracts from them being you know, heavier and less manuverable.

Blenderfishes were not a threat even back in 1.2 Gilder, not when the stupid Gat/Flak was still around and wrecking everything with almost no effort, reducing the game to an armor stripping contest while ignoring every other possible component on a ship for the quickest kill possible. Don't even get me started on old quad Mercs, 1.2 was hell for ANY Goldfish, not just the Blenderfish.

My opinion on the matter of the Carronades remains the same, people bitch and moan about them cause they are simply not used to the fact that their balloon will go down sometimes from match to match cause someone is using a now viable weapon, while blindly ignoring the bladant downsides the weapon has, let alone the Blenderfish, which is the primary victim of the complaints most of the time.

The weapon now simply is on par with Gat/Mortars and other set ups and it WORKS. You don't like how the 1.3.2 one works? We still have the 1.2 set up and can simply be brought back to that, nerf it more than that and it will be a useless piece of scrap that nobody will use except on a Galleon, the Goldfish is already a ship that is barely worth the trouble of flying it anyway (Only 3/4 heavy guns work for it, 2/3 aren't THAT effective for it, limited bifecta gun selection for sides, requires careful angling), don't ruin it completely is what I'm asking from Muse.

The Squid is fine atm and very competitive due to the fact that more loadout possibilities opened up.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2013, 01:51:29 am »
Why is it whenever I bring up Hydro/Chute people always assume I'm talking about heavy ships? When have I ever promoted heavy warships? Yeah the change was good for them because it was silly before, but the light ships were fine and needed those abilities badly to be capable. Muse did squat to bring the light ships back to their former abilities which were not bad or silly. In fact the game has gone even more skewed away from light vessels which needed speed and agility to be able to counter raw firepower from the heavies. We've gone from a great game where you could really be flexible with ships and inventive to one where its just a bunch of flying turrets. Wheres the fun in that? Takes no skill to fly around in a turret.

The squid is fine you say? If you are going to say that, don't do it to someone who logged more hours on the squid than anyone, brought the squid into competitive play in 1.1 and won with it, and was known for emptying lobbies within 1 match because people could not keep up with it.

I'd still be flying it now if Muse hadn't ruined it. Freaken fact, the squid is crap compared to what it used to be and if you say otherwise you are either: someone I made rage quit with it, someone who is new to the game and doesn't know squat, or someone just running their mouth but flies Prya in 90% of their matches and couldn't care less about any other ship. I got pages of info I already sent to Muse about how bad the squid is and why it needs to be fixed. So unless you can back that up, don't start barking up a tree I've already marked with T-rex pee.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2013, 02:29:27 am »
The squid is worse than it was before 1.2, doesn't mean it's not good.

With the buffs made to virtually all non kill light weapons, the squid is competitive again.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2013, 07:34:29 am »
I've had a lot more success with the Squid recently than nearly any other ship, and if I remember rightly, Zill is a devil with one so while it may not be as 'good' as it used to be, it's still a nightmare to deal with in the right hands and that's surely all that matters.

As for the carronade, it's currently the bane of my Mobula on a Goldfish. While I don't want to cry OP, I do want to say that it's hard to counter if you've not got some real distance between you and good line of sight. The Artemis can't fire up very well, and flying high is asking for it anyway. How low can you go? Same goes for the Merc with its limited arc (though I ought to try this some more to be honest, it seems like the most sure fire way of dealing with a carronade).

Last night I had the pleasure of being on the other end, crewing a blenderfish with a couple of new players, one piloting and one gunning. The gunner didn't have the right ammo for the carronade and wasn't so sure of its range but we still wiped the floor with our enemies. Particularly so when he brought heavy for later rounds. I explained that the carronade has practically no downward arc so the pilot, once realising this, knew just how to position himself. As for engineering (which I don't do much of), compared to most other ships I've been on, it was a breeze thanks to the one-tap hull armour and incredible hull health of the 'fish, the position of the hull next to the guns and the 'free' crew to keep an eye on things while the lone gunner guns on the front. Even the promiximity of the balloon to the helm made it a good possibility for the captain to help out. Once the enemy ship was locked down though it was just a matter of time before they were gonners. The Goldfish and carronade are a match made in heaven-- and hell.

Do I think the carronade needs nerfing? I'm not sure, but the range makes it a ridiculously easy and devastating point and click weapon if you've got heavy loaded. So that would be my first suggestion: to shift the range closer to its lighter sibling so there's greater risk for the same reward. There's a lot of talk here about it being good at armour stripping but I'm not sure why that is? It does flechette and shatter damage so I'm presuming the damage transferred from the popped balloon and shattered guns and engines etc. is adding up very quickly on the hull armour? That's quite a formidable mix there.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2013, 08:03:00 am »
Why is it whenever I bring up Hydro/Chute people always assume I'm talking about heavy ships? When have I ever promoted heavy warships? Yeah the change was good for them because it was silly before, but the light ships were fine and needed those abilities badly to be capable. Muse did squat to bring the light ships back to their former abilities which were not bad or silly. In fact the game has gone even more skewed away from light vessels which needed speed and agility to be able to counter raw firepower from the heavies. We've gone from a great game where you could really be flexible with ships and inventive to one where its just a bunch of flying turrets. Wheres the fun in that? Takes no skill to fly around in a turret.

Whenever you bring up a pilot tool you are instantly talking about ALL ships cause in case you didn't notice, you can bring the same buffed up tools to the heavies, if I am not mistaken.

As for the whole Light ships vs Heavies, that's realy something for an other thread and it realy depents on what you consider 'Light ships'.

The squid is fine you say? If you are going to say that, don't do it to someone who logged more hours on the squid than anyone, brought the squid into competitive play in 1.1 and won with it, and was known for emptying lobbies within 1 match because people could not keep up with it.

I'd still be flying it now if Muse hadn't ruined it. Freaken fact, the squid is crap compared to what it used to be and if you say otherwise you are either: someone I made rage quit with it, someone who is new to the game and doesn't know squat, or someone just running their mouth but flies Prya in 90% of their matches and couldn't care less about any other ship. I got pages of info I already sent to Muse about how bad the squid is and why it needs to be fixed. So unless you can back that up, don't start barking up a tree I've already marked with T-rex pee.

Jesus.. Look, I never denied the fact that it USED to be better, what I said is that is IS fine right now with the standards that I know of. If you don't like it then tough luck, seriously, nobody can help you and I'm sure nobody else wants to see Galleons and Pyras being able to go at rocket speeds verticaly because they are in no place to be able to do so and I honestly never read the mentioned document of changes you sent to Muse so I have no idea what you even what to do with the ship.

As for the rest of assumptions.. I never ragequited a single game, I've been all the way up to play competitively and pretty much inspect all balance changes to the game since I've started playing last May and I almost never fly a Pyra.

Also let's stop derailing. This is about carronades, not the Squid.

As for the carronade, it's currently the bane of my Mobula on a Goldfish. While I don't want to cry OP, I do want to say that it's hard to counter if you've not got some real distance between you and good line of sight. The Artemis can't fire up very well, and flying high is asking for it anyway. How low can you go? Same goes for the Merc with its limited arc (though I ought to try this some more to be honest, it seems like the most sure fire way of dealing with a carronade).

Blame Muse for that, the Mobula's design is basically asking everyone to blend its balloon, that ship is never meant to go anywhere close to the big guys else, no matter what they bring, you will be dead in no time, at least from my experience with it.

Last night I had the pleasure of being on the other end, crewing a blenderfish with a couple of new players, one piloting and one gunning. The gunner didn't have the right ammo for the carronade and wasn't so sure of its range but we still wiped the floor with our enemies. Particularly so when he brought heavy for later rounds. I explained that the carronade has practically no downward arc so the pilot, once realising this, knew just how to position himself. As for engineering (which I don't do much of), compared to most other ships I've been on, it was a breeze thanks to the one-tap hull armour and incredible hull health of the 'fish, the position of the hull next to the guns and the 'free' crew to keep an eye on things while the lone gunner guns on the front. Even the promiximity of the balloon to the helm made it a good possibility for the captain to help out. Once the enemy ship was locked down though it was just a matter of time before they were gonners. The Goldfish and carronade are a match made in heaven-- and hell.

It was always like this, even back in 1.2 and it's how it should be, else there would be no point to the gun, why the hell bring a Heavy gun to pop a balloon and be mostly useless against anything else aside maybe the occassional enemy heavy gun or big engine, which you have no time to shoot for anyway cause you have to keep the balloon down.

All ships have some quirks to their set ups that help them, the Pyra has the balloon very close to an engineer and the hull is very close to the captain, making the captain able to assist in the repair of one of the most vital components very quickly. Junker has the balloon right above the captain and the hull can be repaired from below! So, please, most ships are having it just as easy, the Goldfish has 1 extra free engineer, but only one maingun, all other ships have 2 main guns most of the time, so I think that's a fair trade off.

Also, 'Matter of time', how much time? Cause it honestly couldn't have been faster than a Gat/Mortar.

Do I think the carronade needs nerfing? I'm not sure, but the range makes it a ridiculously easy and devastating point and click weapon if you've got heavy loaded. So that would be my first suggestion: to shift the range closer to its lighter sibling so there's greater risk for the same reward. There's a lot of talk here about it being good at armour stripping but I'm not sure why that is? It does flechette and shatter damage so I'm presuming the damage transferred from the popped balloon and shattered guns and engines etc. is adding up very quickly on the hull armour? That's quite a formidable mix there.

If the two carronades have similar ranges that kills the point of even going for the Goldfish and not just bringing a Light one on a tankier ship, which has more overall damage per clip and does the same job with marginal difference, plus gets even more damage per clip than the Heavy one with the right ammo up close. Range and faster cycling rate are the only differences between the two.

If anything, the range of both guns should be brought back down to what it was in 1.3.1, even though I honestly can't see how 50 meters affect anything that much. I disagree to making it lower cause then the gun would always be at an extreme disadvantage against ANYTHING that outranges it, which is.. pretty much any gun that isn't a Flamer. It's already at a disadvantage at range.

Damage spill always uses correct modifiers, so nothing wrong with that.

Carronades are supposed to be the big bad cannons up close that wreck your shit, I don't get why people keep complaining about them working in their intended range, I've had no issues and if I ever went down to them, it was because I either had inferior positioning to the enemy or my gunner couldn't get that shot on their gun to disable it and even then, my allies, randoms or not, are mostly concious and help me, so I just don't see what people are complaining about.

Am I realy one of the few people in these game where I just admit to having been outplayed if I die and not just call the weapon the enemy used OP? I insist that people are simply NOT used to having carronades in the game simply cause of how stupidly broken Gat/Mortar/Flak used to be and don't have enough time spent on the gun or against it and therefore just imply it's broken.

Carronades could do the SAME exact things they do now even back in 1.2, but nobody even brought up the damn gun. Now that they are 'usable' everyone complains about them. Is THIS how we are gonna do the balancing in this game? Please tell me from now so I can take my early leave at least.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:28:14 am by Echoez »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2013, 09:41:13 am »
I just glanced over most of what's been said so far, so If I repeat something, my fault.

After playing more, I think tweaking the range for the heavy carro will be close to all it needs.

I'd like to switch focus here from the heavy carro to the light one. I've been seeing a lot of pyras taking the double carro front, and the dps those things pump out is...no. Its over that of the heavy carro for sure. So, without putting any ideas in, I want to get people's take on the light carro.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2013, 09:57:01 am »
Not much of a suggestion but the light carronade could use a decrease in rate of fire and/or reload speed.

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2013, 09:59:03 am »
It was always like this, even back in 1.2 and it's how it should be, else there would be no point to the gun, why the hell bring a Heavy gun to pop a balloon and be mostly useless against anything else aside maybe the occassional enemy heavy gun or big engine, which you have no time to shoot for anyway cause you have to keep the balloon down.

I'm not sure what exactly you're responding to here Echoez.

[...] the Goldfish has 1 extra free engineer, but only one maingun [...]

The front mounted Hellhound on a resilient fast moving, fast turning ship coupled with that spare engie goes a long way though, that's all I'm saying.

Also, 'Matter of time', how much time? Cause it honestly couldn't have been faster than a Gat/Mortar.

Of course not. You're busting my balls Echoez! I'm not outright moaning about the carronade or the slow spiral of death here.

If the two carronades have similar ranges that kills the point of even going for the Goldfish and not just bringing a Light one on a tankier ship, which has more overall damage per clip and does the same job with marginal difference, plus gets even more damage per clip than the Heavy one with the right ammo up close. Range and faster cycling rate are the only differences between the two.

If anything, the range of both guns should be brought back down to what it was in 1.3.1, even though I honestly can't see how 50 meters affect anything that much. I disagree to making it lower cause then the gun would always be at an extreme disadvantage against ANYTHING that outranges it, which is.. pretty much any gun that isn't a Flamer. It's already at a disadvantage at range.

I agree that the two shouldn't have similar ranges, that would make the Hellhound practically obsolete hence why I said 'closer to'. What are the max ranges of both weapons currently?

Damage spill always uses correct modifiers, so nothing wrong with that.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with that -- it is a formidable mix -- I was just asking how it works!

Carronades are supposed to be the big bad cannons up close that wreck your shit, I don't get why people keep complaining about them working in their intended range [...]

I absolutely agree that they're big bad cannons but my tentative issue is with the range at which they can be big and bad because once they're in range and have fired those first two shots into your balloon, they only get closer, bigger and badder until you die or your teammate helps you. I'm not crying OP here, or that it's broken; simply that it seems to be a particularly easy weapon to use particularly effectively in a lot of situations, thanks in no small part to its range.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2013, 11:55:43 am »
Sorry Geggis, it was not my intention to stress you dude, don't take what I said personaly btw, this topic is just so frustrating to look at sometimes, I can't help but spill some spite in each post and most of them look like they were written by angry Joe. So my honest apologies there.

For the first quote, I simply state that the Carronade while being a balloon popper must not lose its current secondary utility, which is taking out armor, brought it up cause you were talking about damage spilling to hull.

As for the Goldfish, it's not as resilient, a Gatling will still mostly strip your armor in one go and they can finish you while you get in range easily. Of course if you flank them, then they have to play in your advantage field. Also the gun IS exposed, so charging blindly doesn't work that well unless you are already near range.

Third quote: Sorry xD

Current Max ranges are 400 for the Light, 500 for the Heavy, old values were 350 for the Light and 450 for the Heavy. Could be brought back down, I won't deny that the range increace was not needed.

For the damage spill, it happens cause of the multiple pellets that don't all disappear after your last shot takes out the balloon and just hit the hull, with hull modifiers though, so don't worry about that, there's no crazy damage spil going on :P

That aside, the range should probably be brought back to what it was before 1.3.2 and the gun should have 5 seconds reload because OCD. (5.5 looks irritating beyond any belief and also overdone.)

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2013, 12:02:31 pm »
I'd like to switch focus here from the heavy carro to the light one. I've been seeing a lot of pyras taking the double carro front, and the dps those things pump out is...no. Its over that of the heavy carro for sure. So, without putting any ideas in, I want to get people's take on the light carro.

haha, this is why I always said that the Light carronade having the same and more total damage output as the Heavy was so ridiculous.

Double Carro Pyra was standard practice for me when I wanted to play Pyra in 1.2, it was even more powerful back then cause Heavy let you have the full 5 shots magazine, but Gat/Flak was so broken, it eclipsed even that.

double Light carros can destroy a LOT of shit in no time and keep doing it, the DPS is otherwordly and your health bars won't be going up any time soon, once those are on you, this is where you are realy dead with no hope of coming back unless your ally REALY does something (or you somehow escape their arcs)

and THIS is why I'm so frustrated by people always blaming the Goldfish and the Heavy one.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2013, 12:22:56 pm »
Well then what would "fix" the light carronade issue? I mean, one on it's own isn't too bad, but put two together and it's as you say "otherworldly."

RoF? Damage? Im thinking RoF as we still want it popping balloons. Most drastic change would be 1 less ammo.

I still think the ranges can go back to stock at least as well.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2013, 12:47:48 pm »
Well then what would "fix" the light carronade issue? I mean, one on it's own isn't too bad, but put two together and it's as you say "otherworldly."

RoF? Damage? Im thinking RoF as we still want it popping balloons. Most drastic change would be 1 less ammo.

I still think the ranges can go back to stock at least as well.

Range back to stock for starters, that is a given and then either RoF or a longer reload. 1 less shot is a bit much.