Author Topic: "That thing's operational!" - Atruejedi's Star Wars-themed thoughts on Alliance  (Read 18427 times)

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
I've been working on writing an email to Muse all week about my thoughts on the Alliance Open Alpha. Apparently people I didn't share it with directly want to read it, which is fine. So, here it is:

You can read it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/484nars3p1g1tjq/Thatthingsoperational.pdf?dl=0

It helps to use the "zoom out" function at the bottom of the Dropbox screen. If you agree or disagree with any of my reflections, suggestions, or criticisms, I encourage you to post here. I've also posted this message in the Steam forums. Thank you for your time.

Oh, and be warned: it's 61 pages (with pictures) and 11,517 words. So... grab a drink.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:13:07 am by Atruejedi »

Offline KeijoPertti

• Salutes: 8
    • [소시]
    • View Profile
tl;dr?

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Oh, and be warned: it's 61 pages (with pictures) and 11,517 words. So... grab a drink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESuWnNW5H7o

Damn man, and people complain on me writing too much?

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
... I just wasted 3 hours reading that whole document...

I liked the pictures :P

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
I'm at page 28 (out of freaggin 61!), this is the part about world map.
Firstly, Jedi, you like Paradox games, I like Paradox games, we are brothers now. It's nice to see someone who understands me and I also like the map gimmick the most of whole Alliance thingie (and I'm happy to say that Muse said they are planning to implement it in some way to the Skirmish).
Provinces that provide boosts sound great, or more general: provinces with characteristics, something in it more than resources. Because if every province grants +5% boost to something, then it's clusterfuck and if everyone's special then nobody is. So my idea is that around 20% of provinces grant some kind of boost like Jedi says, 40% have some different quirks and the rest 40% has no special abilities. What other different quirks? Well, for instance province with high hills/mountains or any other terrain that benefits the defenders.
I'm certainly happy with the fact that I've talked to Howard and he said that, in principle, more player agency and planning is good, so if we keep on good suggestions we could make Alliance truly great. #makegoiogreatagain?

Reading further about resolving battles, I've pitched an idea of global events, which could make battles either longer or shorter. Also, you talking about taking over provinces being a big deal AND storytelling, it makes me thing of a newspapaer. Hell, if in this postapo world people can feed themselves and build giant-ass ships for constant warhammer-esque war then they sure can print NEWSPAPERS. So imagine if every time you log in you can get a daily newspaper with some information from the world and your faction. Maybe it deserves a different thread...

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
I read the whole thing and agree with most of it.

My main beef is with the airplanes, I think the they should be altered dramaticaly or done away with all together. I know muse has spent a lot of time and money on models and AI, but they don't add to the experience. In the original GOI (now flight of the icarus) it made sense to have agile fighters dance around your lumbering beast of an airship. Now the player is in the agile airship dueling other agile airships and occasionally lumbering boss ships. Airplanes don't seem to fit with the game's tone anymore.

With the limited hard points and wide array of guns, GOIO has put a heavy emphasis on strategic thinking in the pregame time and tactical ship placement during game play. Having airplanes come from random angles and not be easily engaged with some of the better ship to ship weapons does not help the aforementioned strategic or tactical thinking. Further more the airplanes present such a low level threat that the best strategy I have found to deal with them is to fly close to the rocks and hope they path find themselves to death.

I do not find dealing with aircraft satisfying as a pilot or a crew member. Since getting to the next objectives or engaging higher threat ships occupy the pilot attention, it is rare that the ship will be purposefully turned to engage aircraft. Crew on their own initiative can hop on a gun and take a pot shot at any airplanes that happens to pass through the gun's field of fire, but if the captain is not aware they are shooting he may turn the ship and throw off their aim or break gun arcs all together. Since there is no way to outmaneuver airplanes the pilot has no real tools to deal with airplanes except hope they path find themselves to death.

I recognize the need for a low level threat that players can grind through to keep their engagement up between more dramatic encounters, but the airplanes are not very engaging. When the optimal strategy is "deal with the damage until they die by accident" there is little to no sense of accomplishment.

Here are my ideas for making airplanes more intereting:

* Restrict airplanes to open sky sections of the map. If an airship flies too low or too close to canyons the airplanes should peel off and go back to patrolling a safe stretch of sky. This would allow the pilot to out maneuver the airplanes and with the airplanes contained to a certain area they can be purposefully engaged with long range guns if they present too much of a threat.

* Add immobile ground or balloon based turrets in areas of the map that the airplanes can not reach. This can be a simple as a gun on the back of a truck that drives into position from a hidden spawn when the player is not looking. Being static and possibly ground based allows the players more agency in how to deal with them. Also slow moving shot drop weapons would be more effective since the gunners can calibrate their aim from the ground hits and the splash damage.

Offline Daelf

• Salutes: 0
    • [ZLOT]
    • View Profile
For the problem with the spotting and health-bar issues in it, I think that if someone on your ship did damage to the enemy, then the health-bar of it shows up. Just having the captain mark it doesn't help when the captain forgets, is focused on other things, or when the crew is firing on multiple enemies.

Offline Not Raged

• [SMGS]
    • View Profile
It was a long read but jedi made sure i read it, it is well crafted and i agree with every point.

Offline .Daring Do.

• Salutes: 4
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Ramming could use more damage.

Ramming is perfect in novice it feels realistic , but in normal and higher difficulties there's a huge jump in the amount of damage it does. So in novice I'm able to get 3 hit rams but in normal it takes 3 times that.

Also at time I hit them and no damage is taken at all... Maybe making the hit boxes bigger on impact damage and
decreasing impact damage from players ships.

Idk but the ramming feels abit off when it comes to damage.

Offline Baelfire Ender

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 6
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
    • Chaos Skirmish Saturdays
Just read the entire thing; I can whole-heartedly agree. First note: I sent an email about the boss ship and a new bug I found on it (not mentioned here). So yeah, I support that. Jedi has already mentioned pretty much everything I could say, except for the fact that the boss ship (yes, it has big engines) IS TOO MANEUVERABLE. It's the size of Rhode Island and moves like a Squid on steroids. Not much else to say except PLEASE JUST READ MY EMAIL ABOUT IT.

Second, yes, for the love of God, FIX THE UPGRADE SYSTEM. I have been flying my Squid for months, no problem. First day of Alliance, whoop-de-flippin-do, no Spanner for you. Because my engineer had a maxed mallet, he refused to take the spanner and instead took his upgraded buff hammer (which has a bug, by the way. If you upgrade it, it takes more hits to buff.) My engineers/gunners don't wanna take Charged or Lochnagar anymore because Greased ammo got powered. Okay, yeah, it's pretty damn effective these days, but what's gonna happen when we need the extra EXTRA damage from Lochanagar to rip apart the boss' health? Greased isn't the best at it, even if you are hitting it's weakpoint. Okay, yeah, it's probably more effective than charged at this point, but Charged was easy to shoot because you didn't have 20 bullets ejecting from your gun every half second. It wastes the volley because half the time, too many bullets pour out of the gun and exploded before they can reach their target, since Greased is short ranger ammo. This, with experience, frustrates captains because that overpowered greased gatling gun can't hit the freakin' target, therefore no hull break. And then no kill. Also, tar barrel. I got murdered by it because a troll tarred me on purpose (I reported him). I've also been accidentally killed by it because I was trying to get ships off my ally's ass and he decided to tar them. I was in the wake, oi.

I do kinda like these new items you've added, the fail-safe and armor kit. I don't have any complaints there. Adds another level of judgement into the mix to determine when you should buff something, where to put it, how often you should check it. The one thing I advice is to make these things a little easier to buff. I don't know how many times I've died on a Corsair because an engineer wanted to use fail-safe/armor kit on the balloon instead of get on a gun and shoot back/help repair the hard to repair armor. Just make these new things vary on where you buff them like you did with the buff hammer, except maybe a little LITTLE easier. That's all I request, thank you.

The new ships, yes, great, awesome, love their layout. One complaint per ship, though. My deal with the Magnate is that I sometimes glitch.... When I'm on a light gun, I get thrown off of the side sometimes. No idea why.

I like the Crusader, but god damn if I haven't had trouble going up those stairs from the heavy guns. I feel like the hitbox on the railing for the Crusader's stair case... isn't there. I've relied on that railing to be able to get me up the stairs because I have those days where my hand doesn't move the mouse fast enough to get me to face the exact middle of the top stair, just so I don't walk off the side... All I can ask is... Hitbox on that railing... please?

Corsair, holy crap, the ultimate Engineer's test. This ship is spacey as all hell and I love it. I love the theme of the ship, cold metal and steel, sophisticated and crafty, but brutal and deserving. You fear this ship and how it looks, and I haven't even gotten to it's layout. The guns, spread far and thin, all have great purpose. Your front gun can be the armor breaking, balloon popper, or disabler. Sides guns are disablers and killing. Back gun is your sneak gun that helps you get away or just make some attacks that assist in the long-run. While the balloon is in a touchy spot, it's a brilliant spot that lets the gunner help out in the repairs as the pilot can also help. Single complaint, single: please for the love of god fix the hit boxes on the ladders. I have run into those things and not climbed. I have reached the top only to be thrown back off. I cannot, for the life of me, make the jumps between the ladders of the side engines without it throwing me into the wall or the main engine. Just please tap it.

The Shrike is an interesting one for me. I feel like it does need another gun, but other than that, I have no real fix to it. The gaps in the floor make it... unique? I dunno. Flustering and annoying for sure. The fact that only really one engineer works is annoying because the gunner and gungineer are always firing guns and usually the real engineer doesn't get to. Either this ship goes to hell because they're too concentrated on shooting instead of helping repair or it just doesn't get damaged because they're too good at shooting. Either way, it's hell for the single engineer.

I don't have a big problem with planes, other than to make them larger and faster. That's it.

The spotting technique we learned in skirmish is useless because, only when we zoom can we see stats, much less the ship itself, unless the captains spot them. Just make the little glow a little bigger and I'll be fine, but if you can add stats to it, YES THANK YOU, PRAISE THE LORD.

I don't have much else to say other than the fact that I support Jedi's review in practically every way.

Offline Unarmed Civilian

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
Wish it had an index, given how long it is. Annoying to look through for points to re-read and make sure I read them correctly.

I generally agree, and will respond to the few points I find more iffy and that I have more to add to.

The addition of upgradable repair tools seems to be in response to keeping up with the raw damage output of multiple ships firing on one. To remove that system would require them to reduce the amount of spam a ship is taken, or reduce the pain of that spam significantly. Even with upgraded tools, it's hard to keep up with the raw pain of the boss ships already.

That said, I feel that the direction they've taken with upgrades in general is suspect, especially the 3 core repair tools.

Messing with the cooldowns as much as they did is a mistake in my opinion. I personally have been trying to get into a good rhythm and feel for the cooldowns, so messing with the pipe wrench and mallet cooldowns doesn't feel right. However I do think that it's fair to reduce the mallet's cooldown by a second or two, given how long it is and the potential harm it is capable of. Just not completely halving it.

The spanner's rebuild becomes much faster and the pipe wrench seems to be in a reasonable spot - though perhaps being too much of a "super spanner", given how its short cooldown encourages camping a part until it's fully repaired - but the mallet should've been further cemented in its role as the long cooldown, high repair, terrible rebuild tool, rather than turned into an upgrade of the pipe wrench. By that I mean it shouldn't get any rebuild bonuses at all, and instead should heal for more health instead, even if it would be overkill on most parts at that point. A even 9 second cooldown, 500 hp replenishing mallet would still be a fantastic tool, bringing high health ships from the brink of death, breathing life into balloons, and guaranteeing full repairs on every other component. A 7 second cooldown, 390 hp repair would also be great if your goal was reducing the cooldown.

The mallet's long cooldown itself, coupled with the highest overall rate of repair, is what gave engineers the ability to increase their effective rate of repair by having multiple simultaneous cooldowns and encouraged moving around to multiple components to achieve that higher simultaneous repair. It's also what let an engineer hit a part every once in a while, empty a clip from a nearby gun, then return to repairing with little loss in effective rate of repair. And at the same time, misuse of the mallet often lead to disaster, where using it on a tiny dent prevents you from being able to repair the huge burst you take immediately after. But that was always the nature of the tool.

That said, I didn't get an upgraded mallet to play with, so this may be mostly speculation.

As it currently is, the upgraded core repair tools overlap and overshadow the un-upgraded versions of their brothers, making it so spanners have higher rates of overall repair than an upgraded mallet and maxed out pipe wrenches are simply better than the stock spanner. The issue might lie in the fact that you are encouraged to max out one at a time to get the most overall efficiency, since the upgrades seem to approximately double the effectiveness of any of the tools, which is an entire problem on its own.

A way to prevent this might be to have all 3 of the core repair tools under the same upgrade: one upgrade upgrades all 3, meaning none of them become almost strictly better than the other.

Wow, that was a lot of stuff on repair tools. On to the other things.

I agree that the Shrike is awful to engineer on due to overuse of slowing stairs and feeling more cramped than a the gunner's nest on a Junker. On the other hand it's fairly good at rushing to objectives, quickly burning them down, and escaping, so it's not a terrible ship to pilot. In that role it is basically a Squid with heavy guns instead of a front gun. It could even be argued that the visibility issues mimic the Squid's horrendous right-side visibility as a balancing factor. Although the moving parts are a bit overkill.

That said, it gets no pots on it from the Traveler's theme, so overall it's completely unusable garbage.

Oh, and that thing on the Magnate appears to be a perpetual motion machine design, of which a rudimentary understanding of physics could tell you doesn't work and has broken any remaining feeling of realism I've tried to hold on to in this game. I didn't even notice how the plane's size made no sense after seeing that thing on the Magnate.

Offline Chang'e

• [❤❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
jfc jedi just submit a job application already

The new tools are interesting, but upgrades are such an unnecessary pain in the ass...

I also noticed there are now STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS for referring friends. In-game 'chieves, sure, but official Steam ones? The fuck is this?

The missions could use more detailed descriptions. Most of the time I'm not entirely sure why we're there, or if this mission is even supposed to be for my faction.

Some very minor quibbles, but I'm nothing if not vain; there should really be more options for painting ships. Especially the new ones. Sure, you can paint the Magnate's balloon, but nobody's going to notice with all the bright yellow sails. They're all beautiful ships(mad props), but I'd love to customize them. Come on, there's an entire store tab dedicated to tricking out your skyboat.

An accent option for clothes would be nice, being unable to change the color of brightly-colored accents kind of limits what you can use without making something that is a crime against all good taste.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
tl;dr?

I hope you're kidding. If you care enough to register and post on the forums of a-- actually, fuck it.

That being said, by popular demand, I have updated the original document to include an index, which definitely does help make reading it a little less daunting. At the bottom of the index, in two sentences, I explain why I wrote all this for the lazy bastards who probably shouldn't bother reading it anyway.

Thanks to everyone for their support and voices!

Edit: Actually, you're probably too lazy to even click the damn link, so here is the TL;DR:

Guns of Icarus Alliance teems with potential but has fundamental design problems. I am here to offer suggestions on how to improve the game and make it a success.

Offline Guagadu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 16
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
    • Guagadu: Twitch
A monster response to a monster letter. I apologize in advance.

Quote from: Atruejedi's Email
narrative deficiencies
Do you think this would be helped by taking a leaf out of a MOBA's book, and adding voice overs to what is happening? I don't play Mobas much, but from my memories, most of them have audio telling players that a structure is under attack. If voice messages saying things such as "Refinery A has been destroyed, or "Your team is attacking Outpost A", it would make sure that all players are more "in the loop".

Why not, instead, make those weak spots into areas that, when targeted, do significantly more damage to the enemy?
I am not entirely sure, but isn't it already like that?

We can take community-submitted ideas for names.
This would be very cool. The markers saying what type of ship they are (the "(kill)" or "disable)" at the end of the name) are not very useful to me, as I don't generally have time to pay enough attention to the ship name to read it. While I still wouldn't have time to read it, adding unique names/nicknames to each ship does sound very cool and would definitely help immersion.

I don’t think a boss is something that should be hidden
While a boss should definitely not be hidden, it should not be explicitly pointed out to the player at first. When you play a match in Skirmish, and the enemy team is completely unbalanced, do you get an indicator when the much more powerful spawns? No, you don't know until you actually spot them. It should be the same for a boss. While you might be able to visually tell where they are, there shouldn't be any special indicators until the boss is spotted. There is something unnerving about knowing there is an enemy, but not knowing where exactly they are. This uneasiness is what makes horror games as popular as they are.

That being said, I would like different types of ships to have different map markers. In Skrimish, there are no more than 4 enemy ships, and therefore only up to 4 map markers to pay attention to, each with a name attached. Thus, we know exactly which ship is which on the map. However, in alliance, all markers appear the same. I would suggest maybe 3 different unique map markers, one for airplane, one for boss, and one for the rest. Also, having names attached would be too chaotic with the large amount of alliance enemies, so maybe have a key on the left showing the difference between types of markers.

Will bosses be "worth" risking it all to destroy,even if the objectives can be completed and victory can be achieved?
There needs to be something done to make players actually consider engaging boss ships. The only reason I have seen so far is for the glory, and bragging rights. Boss ships are such difficult battles, and usually deliver a large majority of my team's deaths, and for what? A measly upgrade. I personally have never noticed any difference at all from getting the upgrades. The most effective strategy so far seems to be ignoring the boss ship and rushing the objectives, on all 3 gamemodes.

Also, once a boss ship has been killed, it feels like game over. Once a boss ship has been killed, the enemy will no longer be able to do much of anything to you.

you are blurring the lines between different tools and different ammos
While I do like the idea of upgrades, I also agree that it does blur the lines. My solution for this would be simple: instead of making up for an item's weaknesses, improve their bonuses. For example: The spanner upgrades currently include boosts to it's repair power and the mallet upgrades include improvements to it's rebuild power, making them more usable for each other's purposes. Instead, the spanner should not get boosts to it's repair power, but more rebuild boosts instead. This way, the lines between those two items would be even more distinct, instead of morphing them to one.

What do those resources...do? Do you need to collect them to win? Should you? Do they provide bonuses? Should they?
This is my biggest problem with the map as well. I see these resources my faction has, but absolutely no idea what they mean, or what they do.
My suggestion for this is influenced by the board game Risk, the exact same game you mentioned that the map was inspired by in yesterday's fireside. What if each faction had a hidden objective they needed to complete in order to win a season, related to these resources? No player would be able to actually see them, so that no simple faction swap would show the objectives. On top of this, each resource would also apply some sort of buff that faction's players in some way. Maybe the pickaxe icon resource is metal which will increase the faction's ship's hull armors. The main concern against this would be that it might snowball the wars, such that one faction has more resources causing their players to be more powerful, but as the map is inspired by Risk, need I point out that that game is exactly the same? I recently player Risk for the first time, and at first it would be quite well balanced, but as the game went on, one or two players started growing more than the rest, in turn making them more powerful than the others. Players of a certain faction might start to get frustrated that their faction is losing, but that would mean that the game would start snowballing, causing the season to end much sooner.

I see tons of provinces on the map that I would like to fight in, but can't because the game hasn't generated a battle in that location. What if each province could be interacted in individually, while the markers still showed up at any territories in which there was a particularly close fight going on, or the majority of players are involved in? This would keep it simple for newer players or anyone who isn't too interested in strategizing, while the strategy gamers among us would have more options to work with.

battles are resolving themselves too fast
Battles currently seem to be taking only a few hours, which is a problem, especially with the amount of territories currently in the game. With this, we could have an entire faction swap land with another in just a few days. A territory should be valuable to a faction, and every time one is won, it should feel like a huge victory to that faction.

That fucking spinning wheel/fan/watermill thing. It's so god damn distracting, becauseany movement attracts attention from the pilot.
I piloted a Magnate for the first time yesterday, and I did not get distracted too much by the watermill.

The Shrike
"What a Piece of Junk!"
I can not for the life of me figure out what is more attractive about a Shrike than about a Corsair. Both ships have one side facing light gun and one side facing heavy gun, but the corsair also has an extra light and heavy gun on the front and back. The only advantage of a Shrike is the less complex layout, but any captain with any patience at all should be able to explain to their crew their responsibilities.

While on the topic of explaining the ship to a crew, there is not enough time at the beginning of a match to brief a new crew. I would recommend that enemy ships will not attack a ship until it has been moved, or a shot has been fired. This would allow time for captains to explain the ship to their crew, without leaving this up for abuse.

Aaand now to address the already existing responses:
there should really be more options for painting ships. Especially the new ones. Sure, you can paint the Magnate's balloon, but nobody's going to notice with all the bright yellow sails. They're all beautiful ships(mad props), but I'd love to customize them.
I do agree. I'm thinking about the new ships: most of them seem to balloons that are not really visible. What if the balloon is not what received the paint, but the largest visible aesthetic section was painted? For example on the Crusader, instead of painting the balloon, the large, red section of the armor is painted?

I like the Crusader, but god damn if I haven't had trouble going up those stairs from the heavy guns. I feel like the hitbox on the railing for the Crusader's stair case... isn't there. I've relied on that railing to be able to get me up the stairs because I have those days where my hand doesn't move the mouse fast enough to get me to face the exact middle of the top stair, just so I don't walk off the side... All I can ask is... Hitbox on that railing... please?
I love the crusader, but it is right now VERY buggy to move on. I can only walk from the mid guns to the armor about 50% off the time, the rest I simply fall off.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:51:23 am by Guagadu »