Author Topic: Where is the PvE mode?  (Read 23917 times)

Offline Santa Barbara

• Salutes: 1
    • [GROX]
    • View Profile
Where is the PvE mode?
« on: June 20, 2015, 07:44:52 am »
I think this game desperately needs one. The community is not so large and when the player count is low, find a match takes a lot of time. PvP is simply not enough, and sometimes is even frustrating because the matchmaking isn't perfect. The game has been around for a while now, it's so bad we still have just a couple of PvP modes :-(

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the PvE mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 07:55:38 am »
The planned PvE and adventure mode have no defined dates as Muse Games want to ensure that the content is a good as programmable possible upon release.

You can watch the developer streams for weekly updates on the upcoming content. :D

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:57:11 am »
It's coming!  The best thing I could suggest if you want an update on the co op DLC is to read the updates on the main site which come out every week.  You can also pre order co op here (what the hell happened to the CSS on that page?).

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:58:29 am »
... (what the hell happened to the CSS on that page?).

Strange, seems ok now.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 09:17:37 am »
Put it this way, would you rather Muse take their time to make sure its done when they release? Or they half finish it, then charge us for it AGAIN when its done? I'm looking at you Ubisoft.

Offline Santa Barbara

• Salutes: 1
    • [GROX]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 01:00:43 pm »
To be blunt, I bought the game only recently full of expectations, enthralled by the gameplay, the theme and lore of the world.

Now, seeing the game was published in 2012, I am very disappointed to see how few contents it has: just a pvp arena mode with few maps and ships ultimately, and matchmaking problems (lots of time to start a match, and often teams are not even balanced... I don't think the fault for this is of the algorithm; simply, almost ever, there aren't much players to make the matches even).

I must say this is mitigated a little by the fair price I payed, since I bought the game on sale at least.

Adventure mode and PvE is what GoIo needs to give the game a decent dimension. Well, verily I think an open world will be the best, but I know this is just a dream because the devs are a little studio and must think small.

Anyway I'm happy they are working on something to expand this wonderful game, it deserves it.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 05:41:07 pm »
So you know the studio is small and you still want them to pull off wonders that big box devs pull off? If Muse had DICE level of resources and manpower, we'd have adventure mode by now.

As far as MM problems, just consider for 2 seconds what this game would be like with instant start on all lobbies/etc. You'd have probably the worst matches ever. No one would bring the right builds or gear. It would be perpetual novice mode which is utter shit. This game has a degree of setup to it so if you want instant gratification, you need to uninstall and go back to CoD with the rest of the 10yr olds. Sorry to be harsh but I just have no patience for people who come in expecting CoD and throw a fit because they are expected to actually use their brain.

In fact time and time again I find more newer players who appreciate when a vet actually takes time and preps them because a minute or two of prep turns a battle from being rage quit fest into actually fun. They begin to understand this. Quick start novice mode only lasts until the player realizes they are always getting the worst captains, the worst crews, and can only watch helplessly as a ship with experienced players stomps them so badly that it makes them feel like they are utter jokes. So at the end of the day, do you want a fun game or do you want to rage quit? If you want fun, learn to give things a little prep time.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 06:39:23 pm »
I'm skeptical of PvE and adventure mode. PvE sounds grindy/repetitive and adventure mode over ambitious. I think the game is best at PvP. More content can and should be created, but it's hard for me to imagine successful PvE.

I wish Muse luck and success, but I think they should be focusing on adding to PvP.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:46:40 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 06:47:15 pm »
Soon™

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 07:56:57 pm »
Gilder be nice to clueless noobs please. I am politely asking not demanding. The didn't even say anything about lobby wait times.

re:op I am with blackened on this one. I love esports and competition and think the game most needs better support for refereeing and a replay system, and then more content for PvP like new maps or game-modes. It would be so awesome to implement that. Adventure/co-op is kinda cool but not nearly as awesome as pvp- mindless drones simply are not interesting as opponents compared to other players. If the game had builtin demo recording, casting would get much better and competitions would get much better.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 08:10:38 pm »
Lack of competitive support is holding the game back. It would be a big step forwards to turn skirmish mode into battle mode.

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 10:35:45 pm »
huh. under £3 is more "radically generous, and sort of sad that Muse would have to go so cheap" than barely "fair" to me. I hope you buy some cosmetics.

but you are getting what you want so get excited about it. and maybe don't force Muse to go on sale to sell it to you this time.

@BlackenedPies:

I have reflected a little on competitive, having been quite involved in it myself. When you think about games with a really strong competitive scene, it is the gameplay that really sold itself - for instance Dota had a vibrant competitive scene when it was nothing more than a fan-made mod. If GOIO had the potential to be a massive competitive breakout, I'm sorry to say it would probably have happened by now. It just doesn't have the sort of gameplay that gives competitive play a broad appeal. You don't have scope for audacious plays, exciting action and epic reflexes. Competitive play is certainly of nice niche appeal and has probably done the game quite some good by sustaining a dedicated part of the playerbase. Maybe Muse could do themselves some good by keeping the competitive scene alive, but that's far more to do with sustaining a core of veteran players than releasing any serious potential. I do not think competitive could ever be the keystone of the game's future in the way that it is for say, Dota 2.

I think Muse's decision with Adventure mode to lead GOIO into the MMO end of the pool is undoubtedly the most appropriate one. If you think about it GOIO is often more a social experience than a competitive one. The slow-paced but interesting, cerebral combat is not so good for a competitive skirmish game but potentially lends itself to quite an interesting kind of MMO which is maybe more about somewhat infrequent fights which have more hinging on them. I just wish they had the engine to have a full open world because sailing your airship convoy straight out of port, across miles of canyons and smoothly into a player ambush would be so fucking immersive and atmospheric.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:55:31 pm by Velvet »

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 10:54:01 am »
GOIO's competitive lack individuality. Hence will never be on the same popular level of other competitive games.

What DOTA (and countless other, including CS) offers is the hero paradigm, how each player shapes its own gameplay in order to achieve victory as a protagonist: at the last tower, at the last bullet once person is responsible for victory or defeat, creating a hero, a legend. Following an event in DOTA is about knowing the names and personality of each player involved in a fashion similar to basketball or soccer.

GOIO instead is absolutely squad based and even the pilot is part of the greater ensemble that we call Clan or Competitive Team. Each clan has a distinct personality, recognized by its own peers and willingfully employed during a match. The individuals are reduced to elements of a greater design in a similar manner to water polo, rugby or american football. Clan leaders today absolve the function of coaches, directing each member of each crew into a pre-ordinate setup that will eventually win or lose the match. Grinding practice matches creates an homogeneous crew that largely fight on autopilot, requiring limited directional input once deployed.

What we see and love in a GOIO competitive match is a clash of game philosophies and strategies, not personalities and this will never cater to the majority of possible spectators. A Clan X ship will fight like a Clan X ship, mostly regardless of the crew. Yes, many personalities exist and can turn the table, especially regarding gunners and pilots, but in the long run they too will be subject to the overall clan personality, losing part of their flair, of their magic.

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 11:00:15 am »
GOIO's competitive lack individuality. Hence will never be on the same popular level of other competitive games.

What DOTA (and countless other, including CS) offers is the hero paradigm, how each player shapes its own gameplay in order to achieve victory as a protagonist: at the last tower, at the last bullet once person is responsible for victory or defeat, creating a hero, a legend. Following an event in DOTA is about knowing the names and personality of each player involved in a fashion similar to basketball or soccer.

GOIO instead is absolutely squad based and even the pilot is part of the greater ensemble that we call Clan or Competitive Team. Each clan has a distinct personality, recognized by its own peers and willingfully employed during a match. The individuals are reduced to elements of a greater design in a similar manner to water polo, rugby or american football. Clan leaders today absolve the function of coaches, directing each member of each crew into a pre-ordinate setup that will eventually win or lose the match. Grinding practice matches creates an homogeneous crew that largely fight on autopilot, requiring limited directional input once deployed.

What we see and love in a GOIO competitive match is a clash of game philosophies and strategies, not personalities and this will never cater to the majority of possible spectators. A Clan X ship will fight like a Clan X ship, mostly regardless of the crew. Yes, many personalities exist and can turn the table, especially regarding gunners and pilots, but in the long run they too will be subject to the overall clan personality, losing part of their flair, of their magic.

Dunno what people you fly with, but all of my crew mates are very personable =)
The again, if you simply watch the whole thing from outside, you won't know that.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 12:08:39 pm »
In all of Magkels post one sentence stands out the most...

"this will never cater to a majority of spectators"

As much as I love guns of Icarus and the competitive scene, it is hard to sell towards the mainstream market...
The YouTubers are not selling the game when they play as an example, they're selling the fun they're having, which is more often than not exaggerated as are their personalities..

The audience which GoIo competitive sells to is not a mainstream audience...
It is very easy to paint a single ship and crew as a hero, underdog or any other role that mainstream audiences thrive on, this is not the problem, the problem originates from how the game appears from an outside perspective...
No matter how the spectators sell the game, and no matter if they follow crew or ships, the game from an outsider view looks tactical more than action packed, because it is.

Watching Guns is more like watching Golf or Chess than it is like watching Hockey or Football (personally I hate football, but I'll not go into that! :) )
The action is not a constant through the match, you spend half the match watching pilots make tactical choices and movements, based on their assessments of what they predict the enemy will do, tactically playing cat and mouse until one.gets the upper hand, then there is a chip shot to the green and the ally makes the putt! Or the bishop takes the queen from behind after the knight makes a distraction, then its back to tactics choices and movements which does not appeal to the low attention span and intelligence levels of the mass audience, which guns does not appeal to..

Co-op has more consistent action over time, but the threats to the players are much lower and skill cap lower, so selling that to an audience will be tough too...

All we can do is sell to those who enjoy guns and encourage as much competitive play as we can...

As for my opinion regarding the original post... My opinion tallies with others who have posted, I shan't echo :)