Author Topic: 1.4.0 Pyra. Too much stick?  (Read 63516 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
1.4.0 Pyra. Too much stick?
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:38:09 am »
- Pyramidion: Hull Health decreased to 550 (from 700), Forward Acceleration decreased to 2.25m/s2 (from 2.5)

I can't believe I'm going to start this in this manner, but yea, this looks real harsh, and may very well break the Pyra. The Pyra already died pretty darn fast when it's hull armor went down. It's health before was pretty balanced. I just didn't like its turn speed, with claw involved.

Looking at the stats now, I'd frankly be afraid of ramming things, and I think that's a big red flag for a ship that is designed around ramming.

I think the speed nerf can stick, but that hull health is rough.

Discuss with words, not rants.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
Re: 1.4.0 Pyra. Too much stick?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:50:46 am »
As I've already stated...
Rest in peace pyramidion.

I've not spoken to muse about it yet, but for some reason I have the feeling this I not intended to be a.permanent nerf, and simply a nerf to make the pyra less used, across the grid and encourage the use of other ships, then when a set amount of time has passed, put the permahull back up to a balanced number. (Not the speeds.)

Its why Hades received a huge buff once upon a time, make a less used gun over powered to encourage it's use, and another gun under powered, while trying to not kill game balance.

So although.upset to see the Sky Slicer spend more time at the sky port, I thi k the pyra will return as a balanced vanguard.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:20:59 pm »
I've never known Muse to put things in as a temporary measure. If that were the case, they would update a lot more than they currently do. You can't justifiably nerf things that are just popular to use. Make the other options appealing (see other ship buffs) or give more options (see new guns).

The why at this stage is kinda moot though.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 12:25:50 pm »
Oh Muse admitted in a Fireside chat that some buffs and nerfs will be in the interest of game and player base balance, in fact it is more common than many people care to admit in all pvp games, balancing is not just about the numbers of ships and weapons but also on the numbers generated by the players. (weapons used, ships used, tools used, wins using X losses using X etc)

Though when I say temporary, I don't mean a couple of weeks, I mean temporary, couple of patches, perhaps even until a new ship is released...

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:31:14 pm »
In the words of my pilot who shall not be named: "No competitive player thought that (the pyra was OP)."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:35:43 pm by ZanC »

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 12:33:38 pm »
In the words of my pilot who shall not be named: "No competitive player thought that (the pyra needed a nerf)."

I disagree with your un-named pilot!
Every competitive player I know agrees it needed a nerd, just not the nerf it was given.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 12:36:09 pm »
In the words of my pilot who shall not be named: "No competitive player thought that (the pyra needed a nerf)."

I disagree with your un-named pilot!
Every competitive player I know agrees it needed a nerd, just not the nerf it was given.

My bad, quoted wrongly, should be accurate now.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 12:51:18 pm »
Was the Pyra OP? Not really, it was just easy. Other ships do a lot better, but take a lot more work to crew effectively. But the pyra was, and still is, a very simple ship. It's so simple to divide your crew up and have them each cover a fairly limited area. Every other ship requires a lot more running around on the part of the crew, and they have to be so much more flexible in dealing with issues that come up. This patch probably won't hurt the pyra all that much in competitive play. Sure it's a little slower in regards to acceleration, but the pyra, and most other ships have often been in a position where you lose your armor and you're dead before you can fix it. Not always true of course, but very often (especially against gat-mortar). Really this will affect the pub matches more, which might be a good thing. Encourage players to start practicing on other ships and learning different positions and roles. Although probably not.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 12:59:44 pm »
Yeah no, the Pyramidion was not op at all. I did say once before how the Pyramidion cannot do anything better than literally every other ship. Gat/Carro Pyramidion might be the only thing it can really excel and that's it.

At the very least, it does not deserve the hull health nerf.

Now, in competitive matches where my ally is a Pyramidion, I will be considering instant surrender.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 01:55:50 pm »
Yeah no, the Pyramidion was not op at all. I did say once before how the Pyramidion cannot do anything better than literally every other ship. Gat/Carro Pyramidion might be the only thing it can really excel and that's it.

At the very least, it does not deserve the hull health nerf.

Now, in competitive matches where my ally is a Pyramidion, I will be considering instant surrender.

Hey Daniel, want to team up for SCS?
I'll bring the Sky Slicer  8)

More seriously:
Charging speed nerf for pyramidion would have been enough, male it harder to get those brawler builds into range and the pyra is already at a great disadvantage for its most common builds, gat mortar, gat carro, carro flamer.
Nerf the perma hull and the speed and now the vanguard of the fleet has turned into the retired veteran trailing behind and failing at engagements, with only stories of its former glory :(

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 02:22:05 pm »
Agreeing with most people when I say...

Accel decrease is a good nerf. The health decrease... not so much.

There's a problem when my long range spire can destroy a metamidion in flame-range combat. All it took was a few decent artemis shots.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 03:29:08 pm »
When I woke up this morning and read the changes, I didn't laugh. I guffawed. This nerf to the pyramidion is hilarious.

As a someone concerned about ship balance this is of course terrible.

But omg the Pyra is now hilarious. Its a glass cannon! Unlike the Spire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlNXZRuCx1w
This is me without the rage at the end.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 03:52:04 pm »
I have mixed feelings. I want sniping to be stronger and gat/mortar pyra to be less face roll ftw, but this seems...wrong. Am I the only one that thinks pyras need to be extremely tanky and healthy, and just go back to having really, REALLY shitting turning speed and acceleration? Anyone remember when you could circle strafe with a junker or squid around a pyra while they could do nothing, when their rear was actually a weakness? That junkers need less armor and more speed for being evasive? That spires need less health but a lot of armor, since they cannot be glass cannon with the game's direction? Seriously, once the spire is out there, it's out there, far range or near, it can't hide, it needs to be able to tank nearly like a galleon to be a good ship. Or that squids need to lose all that health, and gain a stupid amount of speed?

I don't think anyone wins with this patch, snipers or brawlers; except kinda Gilder.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:55:12 pm by Byron Cavendish »

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 07:53:57 pm »
I have mixed feelings. I want sniping to be stronger and gat/mortar pyra to be less face roll ftw, but this seems...wrong. Am I the only one that thinks pyras need to be extremely tanky and healthy, and just go back to having really, REALLY shitting turning speed and acceleration? Anyone remember when you could circle strafe with a junker or squid around a pyra while they could do nothing, when their rear was actually a weakness? That junkers need less armor and more speed for being evasive? That spires need less health but a lot of armor, since they cannot be glass cannon with the game's direction? Seriously, once the spire is out there, it's out there, far range or near, it can't hide, it needs to be able to tank nearly like a galleon to be a good ship. Or that squids need to lose all that health, and gain a stupid amount of speed?

I don't think anyone wins with this patch, snipers or brawlers; except kinda Gilder.

I agree about Pyras needing more tank and less maneuver. Let the ship do what it was meant to do.

I disagree about spire needing Galleon tankiness. Have you seen some of those crazy quadfecta spire builds? Spire is a great glass cannon.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 08:18:26 pm »
Pyra should be the leader of the pack, taking the hits and throwing a punch back, but all that clunky metal armour slows its accel down, a lot.
That's what it should be...

Not a ship being outgunned by a gat banshee squid...