Author Topic: what do you think of the new spotting UI?  (Read 21402 times)

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
what do you think of the new spotting UI?
« on: November 18, 2014, 05:43:55 am »
A while ago Muse posted a screenshot on their blog showing a new design for spotting:

Looks pretty cool to me, although I haven't heard any discussion about it anywhere.  What do you think?

Offline TeddyBearMafia

• Salutes: 8
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: what do you think of the new spotting UI?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:08:46 am »
Not noticeable enough for me. The white boxes are helpful because they contrast quite well with most terrain. The red outline would be hell on something like Canyon Ambush or Red Sepulcher. Still, I like the general outline idea, especially because it gives the outline so I know what ship it is that has been spotted, as opposed to having to open up the match list to check.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:20:29 am »
It'll add many tactical advantages, now you'll know both ship you're stalking and exactly what direction they're facing, but as mentioned maybe the colour could be looked at. :)

Offline Battle Toads

• Salutes: 4
    • [kTen]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:36:00 am »
I can see a problem of this making sniping too easy because as long as the enemy is spotted, you can know exactly where their components are and snipe them individually even if they are in cloud cover

I am sure this will work well for Co Op, but I think it shouldn't be in skirmish mode

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 07:51:12 am »
I find the outline to be immersion breaking - no from me.

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 08:11:37 am »
I also prefer the white boxes since they stand out more.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 08:18:13 am »
White boxes definitely. This red outline gives too much information. I'd rather have a thrill of not being sure what situation I'll witness, then knowing exactly what is going to happen... It's more exciting.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:32:53 am »
Visual wise I find the outlines appealing. Balance wise they might be problematic, as they add information compared to the white boxes, or at least make information way easier to access. With the boxes, you've got to check the minimap to see the ships orientation and guess the ship type correctly (if you didn't remind it from the lobby/ score screen. To hit specific components inside a cloud you also need to know the ships layout fairly well. With the outline you get all this information for free - just by looking at it. I also wonder whether one can see the projectiles movement if its inbetween the line of sight to the marked ship, which would make aiming at cloud-covered ships even easier.

I find the outline to be immersion breaking - no from me.
But the white frames aren't?

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 08:39:52 am »
Visual wise I find the outlines appealing. Balance wise they might be problematic, as they add information compared to the white boxes, or at least make information way easier to access. With the boxes, you've got to check the minimap to see the ships orientation and guess the ship type correctly (if you didn't remind it from the lobby/ score screen. To hit specific components inside a cloud you also need to know the ships layout fairly well. With the outline you get all this information for free - just by looking at it. I also wonder whether one can see the projectiles movement if its inbetween the line of sight to the marked ship, which would make aiming at cloud-covered ships even easier.

You, sir, have said way better and way more informative than me. Have my salute.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:53:33 am »
I had an idea about this. What if this was somehow used with the rangefinder to have it be more useful and inform people of the orientation of enemy ships. Requires more activity than spot and forget, but in return you get to know more about the enemy. I have not thought out a lot of detail on this, but it could be interesting.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 09:58:18 am »
Well... that's quite a good idea. ^^

For example, range-finder gives also the approximate speed of tracked vessel. Or something like this. ^^

Offline Shaytan

• Salutes: 5
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 10:23:22 am »

Offline shaelyn

• Salutes: 73
    • [◉‿◉]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 12:42:53 pm »
I had an idea about this. What if this was somehow used with the rangefinder to have it be more useful and inform people of the orientation of enemy ships. Requires more activity than spot and forget, but in return you get to know more about the enemy. I have not thought out a lot of detail on this, but it could be interesting.

so far, I like where you're heading with this.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 12:50:14 pm »
I would have to use and see it before I approve/disapprove of it.

In adventure mode, when we might fight multiple weak (minion) ships at once, this could be very useful.

In skirmish, where we usually know what we are fighting, I don't know how this would work.

Offline RedRoach

• Salutes: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 01:07:13 pm »
This is a brilliant idea. I really love it. I just hope it doesn't get implemented into Skrimish mode.

Think about it. If we had white squares around 10+ ships because Adventure mode spawns in tiny weak ships, it'd suck trying to see them. Not to mention this could help divide the attention of "Okay, this is an AI ship, and the white cube is a Human player."

But in Skrimish... *shudder* that outline is so red, so thin, and the picture looks so zoomed, that it must suck trying to see that through a ship or cloud.