Author Topic: Top pilots  (Read 100316 times)

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Top pilots
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 10:33:27 pm »
Just to clarify -

Dementio Daniels post is not sarcastic - the pyramidion is the weakest ship in the game.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 10:55:17 pm »
Among one of my early games as an engineer, I got to fly with an amazing Mobula pilot.

He unitized the third dimension to the fullest. He dodged rams and point-blank Hwacha shots. When a Pyramidion was on our tail, he magically switched place with it, putting us behind the Pyramidion.

I remember how the hull armor never seemed to get damaged. The pilot's skills were miraculous.

I've been trying to imitate the moves I saw that game. It's a shame that I can't remember his name.

Sir, if you are still out there, flying your Mobula among the clouds, know that you have an admirer in me. Thank you.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 11:40:38 pm »
OMG is this even possible! There are so many good pilots in this game it's hard to even pick!

Agree with Geo on what he said about Tropo and Castus 100%. There is never a time I don't have fun while flying under them.

I've never flown under Melon but darn he scares me when I'm playing against him.

No one can beat Richard LeMoon when it comes to his mobula "Hades Funhouse"! I've never seen anyone fly a mobula as well as Richard can!

Jub Jub and Lazy Panda's (even though they are probably the most opposite co-pilots ever) they work together in such a close proximity always communicating with each other. There is a reason the Predtorions (never get this spelling right) do so well.

Angry Walnuts - quiet, stays under the radar, stealthy and deadly! He flies the "Wolf Among Sheep" His double carro pyra is often laughed at until you go up against it. Most pilots fly the double carro like a meta but not him. He has his own flying style for this build and it shows. It takes down balloons and components with ease and then he rams them into a pulp with so much intensity.

zlater75@hotmail.com

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 12:41:14 am »
Geo?  ???

Meanwhile must mention Mattisamo most magnificient Mobula master magician.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 01:02:49 am »
Geo?  ???

Meanwhile must mention Mattisamo most magnificient Mobula master magician.

My most apologies Genozide! I saw Geo's name at the top of the page and it must of stayed in my mind and it's far to late at night and for some reason it seems like I can't modify my post to correct that.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 01:20:47 am »
Everyone knows Zill is best pilot. HamsterIV get in here and set the record straight.

Zill has an aura of fear about him for me because he was most active when I was learning the game. Like the 80 lb pitbull who backs off from a 10 lb cat that smacked manners in to him as a puppy, my fear/respect of Zill comes from early traumas. He is a mighty fine pilot, and one of the best escape artists I have flown against. I don't play competitive so I can't say who is the best pilot with any accuracy.

Captaining is more than just piloting. There is planning, tactics, leadership, coordination, map knowledge, in addition to raw ship handling skill. Even if Zill is the best pilot he may not be the best Captain.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 01:46:57 am »
I've seen Spud Nick win matches with the most godawful crews with the most godawful loadouts.

Spud for President.

Also, of course Clan Clan boasts some pretty awesome pilots that I always have a wonderful time flying with -- Dutch Vanya, Ruairi, Nietzsche's Mustache, Infinity Omelette, Lochnagar, Zirilfer, Tix Plicky....

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 07:08:40 pm »
I'm very partial to the Bard founder, DJ Tipz n Trix and his junker. It's one of the best junkers I've flown on, and Tipz is a lovely pilot and a spectacular captain. He taught me everything I knew at the beginning and him and the former [MUS] were the reason I started playing this game as often as I do. Even though he's been eaten by Dota 2, his spirit lives on. 

Castus is super rad too. I love crewing on any one of his ships any time I have the opportunity

AngyWalnuts' double carro RAS Wolf Among Sheep is very very very very scary.

Speaking of scary pyras, Montucky's Moose on the Loose always gives me a challenge. I love allying with it and hate going up against it.

Pony's Tears' Galleon, Confetti, is always great. I love seeing people get all bothered by losing to it on a Crazy King game

Jacob was the first dev I ever flew with and had such a great time. I was super new to the game and afterwards I told all my friends I flew with a dev and how cool he was :D

Spud Nick turns any match into a good time. Whether crewing, allying, or flying against him, it's always a blast

Nietzsche is great. He's a terrific pilot and runs some really interesting builds. Never had a bad time on a Nietzsche ship, even when we lose

Fiasco Total from the Thralls was always fun. His ship was probably the first ship I was really scared of screwing up on while I was still new :P Also, I met Blacky Sabbath on a Fiasco boat :D

And Daniel because duh

Really, I just love everybody :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:13:37 pm by DJ Logicalia »

Offline Castus Crios

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 02:30:13 am »
Top pilots are imo

Tropo (of course)

Dementio,

Lueosi,

Fiasco Total,

Crafeksterty,

Skrimskraw,

Frogger,

nhbearit,

Mr. Lambert,

Sammy BT,

Ariden,

Rear Admiral Zill,

Thomas,

Lazypandas,

Jub jub,

Riggato,

Shinkurex,

Spud nick,

Melon,

Que fox p,

Redria,

Puppy Fur,

Hamster IV,

Cassiopeia,

Zuka,

Janeway,

Richard Le moon.

so many its hard to think of them all.

Talking about top pilots is interesting to me due to its inherent subjectivity (how many good matches you've played with and against a captain)and confirmation bias. I usually scratch it up to all top pilots being contenders and putting rankings down to clan performance. That being said many captains I've listed here don't play competitive anymore so that's not a definitive metric. So many great memories just writing this list :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:33:34 am by Castus Crios »

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 02:50:23 am »
Well, I have no ranking of who is being top, but honestly? I really admire flying with LeonXross as captain. This guy is damn hilarious. And, so far I was flying with him, he is good pilot as well.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 02:50:37 am »
I think Frogger deserves being in like top-5 or something

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 05:26:21 am »
top 5 competitive pilots:

1. Fiasco:
My co-pilot, but not only respected as such. He has an amazing ability to always manage to survive in harsh engagements, aswell as setting up flanks when needed. Fiasco is just top notch pilot. His inability to proper micromanage his crew is not a problem when either Mezhu or myself have been keeping an eye on it. Fiasco is maybe 50% of Thralls success in the past, whereas engineering, other pilot and gunners all hold the rest of the 50% together.

2. Lueosi:
Lueosi have been under severe critique from me for a long time now. one of the reasons for this is that he was both a competitor and a superior pilot than myself, but he is also a leader meaning that my mindset rarely will work with his flying together. That said he is an amazing pilot who have managed to pull off the best metamidion, one of the best goldfishes and the best galleon I have seen in this game. A lot of credit should go out to his crew for outstanding engineering and gunning, but they would not be able to function that well if it wasnt lueosi telling them what to do. His focus on his own ship often means that his focus on controlling the team is lacking, which have led to some disorganisation on the team as a whole, but when things run smoothly he is the best in the game.

3. Thomas:
Thomas is a newcomer on my list. For a long time I did not pay much attention to him or even SPQR as a team due to the double pyramidion picks. I feel like a pilot cannot be on a top 5 if all he does is fly one ship well. Thomas and the rest of SPQR have however gone to newer ships and are doing the very very very well. This is some of the best squid piloting I have seen, and he seems to have an overview of how to control enemy movement, or atleast follow it to his own advantage. I have crewed for him a couple of times, and he is a pilot with high expectations and knows exactly what he needs. SPQR engies must be very well disciplined to pull off the repair cycles on his ships.

4. Frogger:
I never had the chance to play vs Frogger properly, I was always away from home when Thralls faced off vs the notorious mandarins. However it cannot be ignored that the mandarins double junker is most likely the most impressive thing this game have seen competitive. add to that a sense of formation flying and map use, and you have an unbeatable team.

5. melon:
I will probaly have a lot of people disagree with me here, maybe even fox :p
The reason why is that melon is an uncontrollable pilot. as a co-captain it can often be frustrating to see him fly into an obvious trap. But there is a reason for him being on my list. Melon is a good pilot with good maneuverbility. He is still inexperienced as opposed to the others on my list, but with time he might rise higher on the list. He is super fun to fly with, and pulls off impressive things with mobility ships. Its a bit sad to see him on a pyramidion, but he can fly it proper.

That said, this is my all time list. you will see a lack of older pilots which is due to my opinion that the skill level is much much higher today, than it was a year ago. I would even have loved to put myself in, but truth be told I am horribly outskilled as a competitive pilot these days. I belong to an older school now and its going to be interesting to see what comes out of the next "generation".

Offline Frogger

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 12:17:52 pm »
I'll have to jump in here and put in a plug for Squash and Captain Smollett. Though they've both been out of the game for a while now, my memories of playing against them in RAFT vs Paddling games still represent the most intense, challenging, and fun experiences I ever had in competitive Icarus, and managing to beat the Paddling in Cogs S2 is the accomplishment of which I am most proud, perhaps even beyond my time with the Mandarins. The sheer coordination and accuracy of the Lucky Duck's long range fire was truly a thing of terror, the equal of which I never again experienced after the Paddling's retirement. Squash and Smollett were, in my opinion, the greatest strategic minds Icarus has seen, and the Paddling was its first and likely best uber-team. They deserve to be mentioned here.

Offline Chmielewski

• Salutes: 19
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 05:09:50 am »
I don't actually understand the point of this topic.
I've seen many great pilots, but the main thing about them, what make them good for you as a crew - is how you can cooperate with them. The good captain, for what I think, is the one you're having fun with.
For example, Mezhu is a great player, but I don't like him as a person and I hardly make a functioning crew with him. My beloved captain then is kinda noobish, but I have great fun with her.

This is my thoughts. I know I understood everything wrong, but I wanted to tell this.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 08:17:05 am »
Please close this thread before my head gets too big. My party Hat wont fit anymore.