Author Topic: Seperating Drums from Music.  (Read 24343 times)

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
Seperating Drums from Music.
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:26:54 am »
Currently drums indicate when an enemy is near you. If you have music off (for whatever reasons) you can no longer hear this extremely valuable info. I feel these should be separated. I never listen to music in games and due to that I'm always at a disadvantage.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
Re: Seperating Drums from Music.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:37 am »
+1 for this

Or just remove them from the game completely.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 07:37:56 am »
Agreed

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 08:32:06 am »
btw, isn't this like the 10th thread about this?

One day I hope muse reads it.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:51:53 am »
I'm actually going to have to disagree with you guys here. I cannot think of a good reason to turn off the wonderful music in this game, and by turning music off you are choosing to give your enemy an upper hand. So the question I have is Why do you choose to turn off the music?

Offline GeoRmr

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 08:53:29 am »
When you've listened to over 2000 hours of it it can become rather annoying despite how good it is. It also can cause problems understanding people over voice chat.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 09:10:38 am »
I've had my music off for ages, not because it's bad at all. Like Geo said in a different manner, the music has simply gotten repetitive and it adds immersion for me to have it off. No foul there.

Anyone saying the music doesn't provide valuable information though is lying to themselves. The first set of slow drums indicates they are roughly a map square away, and fast drums are the "look all over the place yo" indicator.

Removing them completely wouldn't be ideal. Detaching them from the above stipulations would be great. The drums can simply play when fighting breaks out, after everyone is engaged.

The idea here, I assume, is to allow me to stop using my crews as "sonar."

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:45:50 am »
why would some want drums gone? Its the only way for people to find eachother than circulating around canyon or paritian constantly.

aye to putting them seperate from the music slider

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:47:18 am »
I'm actually going to have to disagree with you guys here. I cannot think of a good reason to turn off the wonderful music in this game, and by turning music off you are choosing to give your enemy an upper hand. So the question I have is Why do you choose to turn off the music?
Because 99% of the time I have my own music on.

Regardless, I've always been against having drums act like some sort of warning system to stealthy ambush approaches. It's actually kinda ridiculous how many matches I've seen and casted where one team sneaks up on another only to have it foiled and punished by something completely not under their control.

I get the entire "it enhances the game experience" arguments (even though I vehemently disagree, I don't think it's such a crucial element that anyone would actually miss it), but please for the love of god add some other trigger than ship vicinity. Start it when spots are down, or when shots are being fired, or whatever, but this vicinity thing is become a completely hampering joke by now, especially when considering competitive play.

Offline obliviondoll

• Salutes: 26
    • [BSky]
    • View Profile
    • obliviondoll's blog (barely-maintained)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »
Warning drums are a cool feature.

Music is a cool feature.

Both are cool features, and both are well-implemented, apart from the fact that the volume control considers them the same thing. The option to turn off music and keep the drums should be there, and for those who want the added challenge but like the music, the reverse should also be possible.

Offline Ruairi

• Salutes: 6
    • [ƤƦ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 01:18:10 pm »
The music does get repetitive that's for sure... And in regards to the drums in general, I'm completely against the current trigger. If anything they should only sound when shots are fired/spots occur as others have mentioned above. Not to mention it doesn't make any sense for there to be drums playing at all without an actual engagement occurring.

I understand the drums are supposed to insinuate a "beat to quarters" concept, however the current delivery could be improved...

As for the problems that could occur where teams circle the map looking for each other for long durations of time, perhaps there could be an option for pilots to trigger the drums playing from their own ship? (The reason for this could be perhaps a very slight buff of some type, that could provide the slightest of bonuses for a short duration of time, however is nullified upon combat commencing or something) *I understand this may be slightly off topic but it could create an interesting element...*

In the mean time however, it would be nice if the drums were separated from the music.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 02:15:15 pm »
Remove the drums, add foghorns. Everyone is marco-polo happy and I get to beep at people when ramming them.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:19:13 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 03:41:13 pm »
Make an another slider for drums. This way if you create private lobby (or even tournament) you can set the rule to turn off the drums. And everyone else can use it how they want.

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 05:00:15 pm »
I honestly wouldn't mind if the drums were lumped in with the other sound effects on the sfx slider. Personally I think the drums are a sound effect considering how it's more situational than the music.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 05:02:40 pm »
Yeah, just separate 'em, give us the option. I have haven't had trouble finding people or being sneaky as captain, and i have had the music off for a while, for the same reasons as everyone else.