Author Topic: Seperating Drums from Music.  (Read 24348 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Seperating Drums from Music.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:04 am »
/remembers a time when mentioning removal of music (sonar) was received with nothing but negative responses from people here who practically made love to GOIO tunes.
/facepalm this community...again...

+1 separation of music and drums.

Offline DJ Tipz N Trix

• Salutes: 20
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 02:18:46 am »
I agree that separating music and drums should be done.  I also agree that drums should be removed completely for ambush attacks.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 03:12:21 am »
yes, please #I_stopped_counting.

On a side note I occasionally (roughly 1/3 to 1/5 of every match) can't hear drums despite having music turned on.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 07:15:30 am »
I've had my music turned off almost since day 1 just so I don't have to worry about whether the music will be too loud to hear crew or teammates at crucial times. When I first heard people start talking about drums I thought everyone was crazy. If drums are a mechanic, then they should probably be in SFX or have their own slider, not in music.

Offline SaintR.L.

• Salutes: 5
    • [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 09:31:18 am »
I agree that separating music and drums should be done.  I also agree that drums should be removed completely for ambush attacks.
Of course, the question of what an "ambush" attack is will forever be up to debate. Although, in my opinion, if your opponents manage to get the drop on you before you're able to react to the sudden sound of drums I think that counts as getting your butt kicked. :P

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 11:25:50 am »
Of course, the question of what an "ambush" attack is will forever be up to debate. Although, in my opinion, if your opponents manage to get the drop on you before you're able to react to the sudden sound of drums I think that counts as getting your butt kicked. :P
The presence of drums in competitive play is so prevalent that I've had to make mention of it during casts several times when a team turns to face another coming in from somewhere before any sort of spots or visibility is possible to avoid from people thinking that the team is stream cheating.

I don't begrudge anyone for using drums signals, you'd be stupid not to. They just, frankly, imho, have no reason to be there.

Offline Llamas Unite

• Salutes: 10
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 11:46:34 am »
Whilst I can fully support the separation of music and drums, for those people who don't find the music their kind of thing, I must admit I find the drums much more of a boon than an annoyance. Not only for tweaking repair/ chem cycles as an engi, but for coralling newer players onto the guns where they're meant to be by letting them know the enemy is near, somewhere.

Offline SaintR.L.

• [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 03:18:21 pm »
The presence of drums in competitive play is so prevalent that I've had to make mention of it during casts several times when a team turns to face another coming in from somewhere before any sort of spots or visibility is possible to avoid from people thinking that the team is stream cheating.

I don't begrudge anyone for using drums signals, you'd be stupid not to. They just, frankly, imho, have no reason to be there.
Hmmm, at the pro level drums kill the suspense. At the low levels drums really help new players who're starting out. Looks like we're going to get a competitive version of the game at this rate (different from the regular games).

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 08:44:16 pm »
I still think drums should be a pilot tool like spyglass and rangefinder. There are some good threads out there suggesting listening tools. Ear Trumpets or other interesting devices. I particularly like the Acoustic Beard.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 01:03:28 am »
Agree but as a player tool they would be pretty OP I think, unless they had a drastic penalty like damaging armor.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 06:53:08 am »
/remembers a time when mentioning removal of music (sonar) was received with nothing but negative responses from people here who practically made love to GOIO tunes.
/facepalm this community...again...

This, so much this....

why would some want drums gone? Its the only way for people to find eachother than circulating around canyon or paritian constantly.

THIS, so much THIS!!!

As much as many people may say that drums are killing the suspense, there's that one important reason of having those drums. Yes, many people indeed are not getting themselves into ambushes as easily, for they are aware the enemies are close, but the only reason those people can prepare an ambush in the first place is because they can find their enemies via drums. Even now it's really hard at times to find your enemy for first ten minutes of the match, running in circles from spawn to spawn with passages at the edge of the map, and all of that with drums included, because at some point one will hear the drums and take a detour. With the amount of hard cover on some maps, not to mention a crapload of clouds between them, how do you expect anyone  to find one another on some maps?

I suggest organising a test tournament, with one of the rules being getting the music turned off for everyone, just for a test. I'm sure that clans that will join the tournament will show their high level of sportsmanship and just go with it fair and square. If it's going to work, if people will find a way to find eachother the same month they will start the match, sure, drums can be removed, as for what they are here. As it currently stands, I believe that more often than not it's not the amazing vision of your crewmembers with spyglasses that ever lets you see the enemies, it's the drums that help you be aware of their presence, and therefore finding them in a close proximity.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 07:01:51 am »
Agree but as a player tool they would be pretty OP I think, unless they had a drastic penalty like damaging armor.

Why would it be overpowered? It takes up a tool slot and does the same thing the drums do in game.

Offline SaintR.L.

• [☂]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 09:59:39 am »

Why would it be overpowered? It takes up a tool slot and does the same thing the drums do in game.
It would basically mean that everyone would take it, and be using it at all times. That's like how in League almost everyone always took blink making one of the slots so meta, mundane, and predictable.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 10:33:57 am »
I don't think it's so mandatory. For instance I don't see a valid reason to MUST take the drums for example on Battle of the Dunes. I think it would be pretty valid item, maybe preferred rather by new players than the old. Something like extinguisher for the engineers.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 01:34:34 pm »
Anyway, everyone agrees that the drums should be moved from music into sound effects in the volume control, because they serve a gameplay purpose instead of just being aesthetic like the rest of the music.

This way is probably the easiest to implement code-wise as opposed to having to draw new art for a tool, or adding a separate foghorn system.