Author Topic: Tesla Weapons  (Read 14723 times)

Offline Roderick Archer

• Salutes: 13
    • View Profile
Tesla Weapons
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:42:19 pm »
Okay, so this is something that's been bugging me for a while...

I /remember/ the Muse team talking about Electrical Weapons, but I don't think I've heard anything about them for a while. So, I might as well take a crack at designing a few of my own so I can at least get these ideas out of my skull.

Preface:

Two Things:

1) I have no idea how these numbers will work. I was looking at the damage table and was making an educated guess. If these feel unbalanced, please, say something.

2) Adding a new damage type might cause a hiccup in the damage system that GoIO had developed, so instead of that, I'm going to go out onto a limb and interpret "Fire" as "Electricity".

So, let's move onto the pros and cons of Tesla Weapons. Pro: You can cause shots to arc from one system to another (small chance of it happening), potentially knocking out multiple systems with just one shot. Con: You can't load special ammunition into weapons that fire /just/ electricity. Like the Arc Projector, for example. The Coil Gun, however, uses an actual bullet, along with electricity, so you can load special ammunition into it.

Weapon 1:

Arc Projector (Light Weapon)

First we have the Arc Projector, a gun able to project a deadly line of electricity 

Damage Type 1: Fire
Damage 1: 20
Damage Type 2: Shatter
Damage 2: 10
AoE: 2
Range: 500
Ammo: 5
Reload: 3

Coil Gun (Light Weapon)

Next, the Coil Gun. Another gun meant for snipers. While lacking the range and damage of the Mercury Field Gun, the Coil Gun makes up for it with a bigger clip. Great for Gunners who like to aim for specific components.

Damage Type 1: Impact
Damage 1: 70
Damage Type 2: Fire
Damage 2: 30
AoE: 1
Range: 1300
Clip: 10

Mag Launcher (Heavy Weapon)

A beast of a weapon, the Mag Launcher is like putting the enemy ship right into the middle of a thunder cloud. It's only downside is the long reload and one shot.

Damage Type 1: Fire
Damage 1: 100
Damage Type 2: Explosive
Damage 2: 125
AoE: 10
Range: 300
Clip: 1

Let me know what you all think and feel free to throw whatever against the wall and see what sticks.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Tesla Weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:05:17 pm »
Tesla weapons were part of the original guns of Icarus. But since that was PvE having a gun that shot lighting made sense for some of the harder to destroy enemies. It was sort of the BFG of the later levels. However BFG's don't make for good PvP balance.

Here is an image of the original Guns Of Icarus, you can see the Tesla and Super Tesla weapons on the weapon selection grid.

Offline Roderick Archer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 02:16:12 pm »
Well, aye, I figured as much that they were the end game stuff. They're bloody Tesla Cannons. :P

But that's why I was trying to put forth the idea /and/ find a way to balance it so that they can be an interesting addition without chucking the balance out the window.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »
I like the idea of a harpoon-like weapon that, once attached, did some damage-over-time electricity sort of stuff for a couple of seconds.

Offline Roderick Archer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 10:03:51 am »
Oooh, now that sounds fun... Wouldn't be that hard to do, actually. The line would need to be weaker than the actual Harpoon and can't pull at the ship, otherwise there would be no need to use the original harpoon anymore when that variant did everything the old Harpoon did, but better.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 04:07:17 am »
If the tesla weapon from the original game was implemented into this game, it could take a few seconds to charge up while locked onto a target, do a simple and quick BZZT for some impact explosive damage, and then go into a reload state for about 20 seconds. If it was a medium weapon, it would act well as a sniper, but wouldn't do enough damage over time to become unbalanced. However, its burst, if used correctly, could do a good quarter to half of a hull's health if the armor was down, but not much to the armor due to its explosive nature. Or... the opposite- piercing damage- it does damage to armor, and not to the hull.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 01:19:41 pm »
On the subject of tesla weapons and electrical harpoons, have some renders:

Offline Lehran

• Salutes: 9
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 02:18:45 pm »
those pictures look amazing, we need these guns now

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 02:21:24 pm »
did you make these pictures???

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 02:44:38 pm »

I think those are old pictures from back when Muse planned on having Tesla weapons.

Offline Connor Mc.

• Salutes: 18
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 02:45:36 pm »

I think those are old pictures from back when Muse planned on having Tesla weapons.

ahh I see, I was about to say

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 03:00:04 pm »
Yeah, they're unused renders by MUSE