Author Topic: Call for Gunner Ammo Ideas  (Read 181954 times)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Call for Gunner Ammo Ideas
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 07:19:37 pm »
Special ammunition coming in! Warning: Ammo types might require special coding effort.

Speedster: Reload X% faster, but sacrifice the second damage type?

Sticky ammo: Projectiles stick on enemy ship (maybe even terrain) and explodes either when told or when reload or when max number of projectiles is reached (example: mines). Mines have an extra field next to the number of "bullets" in your gun, this same field could be used for this ammo type too.
And either
- 1 damage type gets done on impact, 2 damage type gets done on explosion/release or whatever.
- No damage gets done, full damage on explosion/release or whatever on whereever the projectile is located (just saying because direct damage. Second damage type behaves like normal).
The latter might be troublesome since projectiles do not always hit the same thing as you believe they do.
Might be op if combined with mines.

Curly McSpiral: Removes recoil like heavy clip, instead of flying straight the projectile path is a spiral. Maybe removes arcs.
Could use some tuning in what else it does and how big the spiral radius is and if it gets larger over time/distance.

Spacial ammo: Projectiles never actually leave your barrel, but appear at Xm away from your barrel/gun, as if your guns is over there and you are shooting from over there, thus (e.g.) spread only starts over Xm away and the range begins there as well as arming time.
Would enable you to shoot through terrain/cover (no escape!). Might behave weirdly with the harpoon.
Or maybe just make it so that it shoots through the 1 object it hits? Even through ships. But only through 1 thing and then goes back to hitting stuff.

Slow-mo ammo: Reduced or no arming time. Projectile speed is reduced... MUCH! Range stays the same and arc/drop behave as if the projectile was shot with default rounds. It is just slow. Reeaallyy slow.
Might require weird coding.

Joking A Rounds: After every load the gun behaves like a random other in the same weight class. It of course inherits every stat that the chosen gun has as default (range, projectile speed, spread, damage types...).
Example: Light Carronda gets loaded with said ammo -> Suddenly shoots flak shots.
Example: Lumerjack is now Hwacha.
Might reduce ammo to a specific amount so gatling can't shoot 80 mortar/mine shots or 20 Heavy Carronade shots.
Might remove certain 1 shot per clip guns (Mine and Harpoon).

Twice the ammo: Doubles the ammount of ammo a gun can have, but triples the reload or whatever else the negative side should be.
Example: Harpoon 1 ship, harpoon a second one or harpoon it again INSTANTLY!

Trick shot: Projectiles look different? I dunno, I just wanted to write down the name, before somebody else does!
Maybe throw some cake in the enemies faces so they can't see anything?

Suprise!: Projectile is now a punching glove and does impact damage along with the direct damage of current gun. Only 1 shot. Range is 10m or something else that's really short, but not so short that nobody can hit with it.
Impact damage only to push the enemy away. May not even have to damage enemy reliably.

Reverser: Instead of dropping, projectiles now fly upwards or in the calse of flamethrower: Downwards. May even turn gun arcs upside down.
As a potentional special effect: Let the gunner see the world upside down while on gun that has this ammo loaded.

Placeholder: It will not fully reload the gun, it stops the reload at ~99%. This allows gunners to leave the gun and load their special ammo in it when required. Like burst or heavy for hwacha in case you don't know which will be more useful before you don't even see the enemy. Will load the select ammo once "R" is pressed (again).
If the same ammo is select and "R" is pressed then either don't load anything or just load default ammo.
The price would be that you give up 1 full slot in order to use the other 2 more effiecently.

For reload changing ammo (if it happens) I propose the following mechanic:
The ammunition will first be loading in normally and then only the next one reload will gain the reload effect from the just used ammunition. Might be abusable by reloading again immidiately (for whatever reason you want to do that).

Also, yes, engineers have 2 ammo types because of default ammo. Gunners don't have them loaded in every so they don't count as ammo for gunners. It has been addressed before in its own thread.

Maybe instead of removing default ammo there could be a new engineering tool that is close to useless for the engineer, but might serve as a second tool for the gunner, any maybe even pilot?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:28:03 pm by Dementio »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 07:27:14 pm »
Here is my brainstorm of current ammo and maybe some new ammo.

Old ammo Type

There are some ammo type that needs love, but there has to be a use for them individualy.
The reason why i want some of these ammo types to enhance is because Ammo like heavy clip serve a defined purpose. So enhancing their purpose could make the gunner have great form of control on the enemy ship

Greased Rate of Fire up to 80%, Damage down to -35%
Lets make greased fire faster, and nerfing the buff hammer use on greased weapons [Would work well with Charged change]

Incindiary needs 10%-20% extra chance on giving fire. BUT give it precentage damage to the gun that uses it. 95% damage to the gun thruout the clip.
This is to enhance fire use thruout every weapon, but punishes it for useing it, so that guns that work well with the ammo arent as powerfull.
With this, a gattling gun can be as good as a flamethrower. Along with banshee being super devestating with its aoe. This should then in the end make fire happy people more viable in the use of fire. Simply having the ammo type may cause some chaos for the next reload. So it isnt an ammo type one wants to use constantly, but rather for the moment to cause a bit of chaos. Hwacha would be the best example as a gun that would switch out to this and cause some form of chaos before switching out to something for the kill.

Charged can balance out its bons and cons with 50% damage, instead of 30%. But -50% rate of fire, instead of 20%. 50% damage thru out the clip
[This change would work well with greased change] Again, in my case, it is all about choosing the correct ammo for the right moment. This ammo type is not for every time use, but rather for the correct time. This is also a huge bait for buff engineers to enhance the Damage % to 70, so that most engineers will get Charged ammo type. The rate of fire i could see being a huge detriment to the actual shooting of the gun. But is a nice balance versus buff engineers, and rewards them for actualy hitting. This also balances out being a better choice than greased/Heatsink in terms of damage. Its just the DPS that may be smaller. But the clip damage is bigger.

Heatsink Give it 25%-75% maximum health to the gun that has heatsink
This way, we can be sure that a heatsink weapon is a weapon harder to disable. It is noticed by the chem spray glow. Along with the core nature of heatsink is to protect the gun.

New Ammo type

We want new ammo that really changes up a weapon in such a way that you want the new ammo type and some other ammo type.
Most of this is very hard due to default ammo type being present. Here is my suggestions as new ammo type.

Barricade Turn the gun into a shield. The icon is a shield with a bullet over it. 1 shot. 200% more gun health. -100% rotation speed
[This works well with the heatsink change] This is a good tool for some ships. Changing the gun into a damage soaking craze some ships would love to have. A galleon may protect his right side by giving those 2 heavy guns barricade ammo type. A pyramidion may give his side guns barricade. A spire may give all of its guns barricade for maximum protection. A goldfish can have this loaded before it reloads into a different ammo type. This in turn with heatsink will be for an unexpected effect because it does not have a chemspray glow. However, it only acts as a barricade and one shot isnt alot at all.

Dragon ash / Rubber gluv Remeber the Dev ap ammo?
This will not work well with my Charge change (Maybe if you make this more powerfull)
The concept of these 2 tools types were the best. These 2 tools were about increasing either the primary or secondary damage types. So for each tool, you would want them to do MORE damage than what charge can do. So, if charged allready does 50% damage as of my suggestion, then dragon ash, or rubber gluv have to 1 up charged with 70% more damage to its priority (Primary or secondary) But -30% damage on its other damage type.
As of now, charge gives 30% more damage on both damage types, dragon ash and rubber gluv would then give 50% more damage, but -30% less other damage type... damage. Bring back this ammo type! It was great! it just needed to one up charged.

Mechanic suggestion
Instead of a gun being auto reloaded into default ammo, it would be nice that the ammo instead waits for player to jump in with an input.
Jumping on a gun for the last microsecond is very... very weird and makes for situations where i put in the ammo just in time but it reloads again anyway.
Just a suggestion.

Also
Normal Rounds.

and

This.
So much this.

Why did noone say that before? o.O
Why did I not say that before, thinking about it today?

Maybe because no one... listens...  https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,3576.msg62802.html#msg62802

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 07:37:22 pm »
Depth charge ammunition. Makes projectile weapons' shells sink more quickly, or in the case of mines, sink downwards once deployed. (Richard + geo's idea.)

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 08:11:41 pm »
What do you guys think of an gunner tool that increases weapon turning arcs in exchange for increased firing spread? New weapon combinations would come into play that otherwise wouldn't be possible or were too difficult to reliably maintain. Close range strafing options would benefit most as the increased spread wouldn't interfere too much with gats, mortars, carronades, ect once up close but using the tool to try and get an extra merc or other snipers to line up with each other would be hit harder by unreliable spread getting in the way of long range precision.

I would think that this would be better for gunners and not a "safe" ammo for engies as it's use is potentially redundant. The ammo benefits most weapons that already have mostly good overlapping arcs and would better serve as a reactionary ammo type. Say if a ship has a damaged engine and can't turn fast enough to maintain its normal arcs. A gunner with this in their pocket would be able to continue performing in a situation where they normally couldn't. Same goes for awkward angle of approach.

My main concerns  is that messing with turning arcs could really mess with ship/gun balance, creating problems where there used to not be problems

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 08:35:37 pm »
I'd also like to add my voice to those who want the engineer to lose an ammo type- so engineers will have a choice of 1 ammo type and gunners will have a choice of 3, instead of choosing between 2 for the engi and 4 for the gunner like it is now.

Offline B'Elanna

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 82
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 09:28:59 pm »
My professional Ammo Wishlist:

.clearing throat sounds of an old man.

• Ammo that shoots deadly confetti
  • Ammo that shoots stale pastries
  • Ammo that sprays whip cream to make their guns sticky
  • Ammo that shoots balloons to clutter the view to escape
that is all!

On a bit of a serious note: add a new damage type. Maybe Ice?! .-.

Offline Myroc

• Salutes: 4
    • [BAYT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 01:36:58 am »
Buff Hammer
That's the other problem that needs to be dealt with. As said, engineers are currently sometimes even better at firing guns than gunners are because they can bring something that gives them a flat damage boost with no downsides. (Yes, the gunner can bring it as well, but he then becomes completely incapable of repairing. In a game that is largely about repairing things as they break, this is terrible.) I propose we instead change the effect buff hammer has on weapons. Increased reload rate? Increased turning speed? Something that isn't a flat damage boost at the very least.

Maybe instead of removing default ammo there could be a new engineering tool that is close to useless for the engineer, but might serve as a second tool for the gunner, any maybe even pilot?
You mean the Pipe Wrench?

Also, don't take what I'm saying the wrong way, I'm not saying that I don't want to see extra ammo types in this game, by all means, feel free to encourage suggestions for them and implement them. I just want to point out that it's not actually going to solve the problem at hand.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:50:27 am by Myroc »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 02:31:40 am »
I think we'll eventually have to accept additive affects.

Using the previous example; having an ammo type that increases turning arc would be useful however having a tool that lets you increase turning arc while also being able to bring any other 2 ammo choices you want would make a gunner relevant as they'd be able to do something no other class could do.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 03:12:01 am »
How about enabling the gunner to combine ammo types? Imagine a Charged Lochnagar Heavy flak combined with some Heatsink for increased turning! Incendary + Greased Gatling!

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 03:16:56 am »
How about enabling the gunner to combine ammo types? Imagine a Charged Lochnagar Heavy flak combined with some Heatsink for increased turning! Incendary + Greased Gatling!

.... And that is precisely why that will never happen. That would be broken as hell. More broken than flamers were before the damage nerf (the very first one, where they still did 4 damage) after they were fixed.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 08:17:13 am »
Bouncing Balls:
Reduces damage by 75%
Removes secondary damage type
Changes primary damage type to impact

Impact damage is OP, so a heavy damage nerf allows every gun to deliver some delicious impact damage. Because everything needs impact damage.

Oh, and heavy-flak fish would be (more) viable. ;)

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 08:26:23 am »
I know the buff hammer and engineers allready can have an ammo type, but dont give up on making the ammo types something more wanted.

In my suggestions, i try to enhance the effect of the ammo types on their purpose. Charged gives more damage, give it that BURSTY damage but make it fire slow.
Make greased use up a clip quickly but take away the damage, its not a damage ammo. Incindiary gives fire, Make it give out fire to the enemies.
Heatsink protects the weapon, lets make that even more clear.

I seriously suggest bringing dragon ash and Rubber Glove back but 1 upping charged in damage. (Lets not forget the %damage on the gun thru the clip).

If... changing damage modifiers is a thing, then... can i suggest.

Flachette ammo changes the weapons damage values to work better versus the baloon. (Does not stack with weapons allready good versus baloons)

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 08:27:17 am »
Bouncing Balls:
Reduces damage by 75%
Removes secondary damage type
Changes primary damage type to impact

I want to test this!!

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 08:58:43 am »
I know the op requested no gunner tools due to additional coding, but if you were to take the already existing chem-spray as a start, how hard would it be to make a gunners tool (snake oil) that when applied increases rate of fire or yaw speed? All it would need is a recolouring of the chem-spray effect to a murky brown and would be applied in the same way. (As an example, It would have to be more efficient when used as a gunner with greased rounds on a gatling than an engineer using a buffed gatling  with greased rounds, or an engineer using a buffed oiled gatling with normal rounds.)

If all you do is add more ammo types, engineers are still able to use them and the problem is not resolved.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:33:35 am by GeoRmr »

Offline AscendantWyvern

• Salutes: 1
    • [SoH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 09:15:44 am »
I have two i'd like to propose, i'm a beginner to the game so take my suggestions with that in mind  :P

- Splitter rounds
      These rounds are designed to break in half after being fired, creating multishot potential. This is useful to add spread and dilution on firing.
      +100% magazine, -10% accuracy, -40% damage, Fires two rounds per shot.

- Featherweight rounds
      These rounds are made to be light, aluminium or tin coating etc. They lack a heavy punch, but they increase loading speed and fire rate. I think this would be useful strictly for the reload, which could synergize with other ammo layouts (i.e. something that could buff the gunner)
      -20% damage, +10% drop, +20% loading speed, +20% fire rate, +15% magazine

Again, I am by no means an expert...just feel like tossing out my ideas.