Author Topic: Engineering Tricks and Hardcore Parkour (Video)  (Read 23681 times)

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Engineering Tricks and Hardcore Parkour (Video)
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:40:20 am »
http://youtu.be/kX7lHEZ65Qs

(how do I embed :()

Have I missed any tricks that can consistently be executed even with at least 200ms of ping? Also, how do I fix this grainy-ness?  :(

Tricks I have intentionally not included:

Galleon: main engine jump to turning engines-Rubber band galore AND teleporting into thin air

Spire: top right gun to edge of railing to hull-Bungee cord stuck to feet

Tricks I have unintentionally not included:

Mobula: Something about going from the helm to a lower gun? Even so I'm not sure that's useful for engis.

I'll throw this into a Steam Guide as soon as I'm certain nothing has been missed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:41:54 am by vyew »

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Engineering Tricks and Hardcore Parkour (Video)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 12:49:23 pm »
One thing i missed on the squid are midair repairs on the topengines when doing the engine jumps.
But besides that i cant think of anything you missed. good work there.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:42:00 pm »
Ah yes, well I didn't include that for 2 reasons

1) I can't do it consistently :o I end up under shooting because I forget to hold A while hitting in mid air xD

2) If you hit the top engine from below, is the mid air hit really required? Though I think I read N-Sunderland say something many months ago about the mid air hit ending up contributing very slightly to more efficiency. Either way I think just hitting the top engines from below is easier to do.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:53:51 pm »
Dunno i like doing it that way.
Hit one top engine -> jump down with a midair hit on the second engine -> lower engine you landed next to -> 2 railingjumps towards the last turning engine
Repeat. Depends what your second engineer does but that is a quite efficient route.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 03:56:22 pm »
In my experience the best repair circuit for the Squid is like this:

-hit port top engine from below
-hit port bottom engine
-hit the top starboard engine in mid-air with a rail jump (the one where you cut the corner, not the one where you jump down from the top deck)
-land on starboard walkway and hit bottom engine

It's a really easy method, and it's around the same speed as all the other fast ones.

By the way, that's a really good video. I'm glad to see someone showing all those tricks off, since others (well, me at least) got lazy about doing it.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:48:56 pm »
I would also put component bracing on the tip list, as well as jump movement. Also the thing with mounting a front mobula gun, the same trick can be used on, for example, galleon heavy guns. Sure, you'll fall off after using it, but if you keep two engineers on the top deck for repairs and you need to use both guns together immediately, it's a trick that comes in handy.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 07:14:34 pm »
In my experience the best repair circuit for the Squid is like this:

-hit port top engine from below
-hit port bottom engine
-hit the top starboard engine in mid-air with a rail jump (the one where you cut the corner, not the one where you jump down from the top deck)
-land on starboard walkway and hit bottom engine

By the way, that's a really good video. I'm glad to see someone showing all those tricks off, since others (well, me at least) got lazy about doing it.

I think I put that one in on the second squid repair circuit bit, I'll remove the text about the mid-air hit being unnecessary. Thanks, I'll practice that circuit :)

I would also put component bracing on the tip list, as well as jump movement. Also the thing with mounting a front mobula gun, the same trick can be used on, for example, galleon heavy guns.

I have no idea what component bracing means 0_o ha ha! Do you mean chem spraying before combat, or waiting on a component before big damage comes in?

Jump movement: Didn't I sort of cover that in the video?

Either way, thanks for the galleon tip, I'll add that in later  :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:17:30 pm by vyew »

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:23:57 pm »
I have no idea what component bracing means 0_o ha ha! Do you mean chem spraying before combat, or waiting on a component before big damage comes in?

Jump movement: Didn't I sort of cover that in the video?

I personally called it spannering before I started playing with people decent enough to use this trick themselves, and they call it bracing, if I'm correct :P
It's about hitting your hull (or any other component in a different situation) as many times as possible with a spanner for additional armor boost for every spanner hit before finally hitting with a mallet. A nice little trick that lets you survive the gatling a little bit longer, compared to people that would simply hit the hull with a mallet first occasion they think it's worth it. I think you can do it even up to 4, maybe 5 spanner hits against gatling if you just stay on hull and keep hitting it with a spanner from the very moment the first gatling round hits you, which gives you additional 160, maybe even 200 armor before hitting it with a mallet for another 250. Every point of armor matters, right? :P

As for jump movement I'm talking specifically about constantly jumping all the time in game to move faster. A little trick well known for everyone that ever played games like quake (and I think unreal series, though I'm not sure), that also works in GoIO, if you constantly tap jump as you run instead of walking normally, you move faster than simply by running.

Offline Erheller

• Salutes: 9
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:02:57 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone has discovered this before, but I haven't seen it mentioned here or in N-Sunderland's guide.

You can jump on the Junker's main engine on the bottom deck, then jump on top of the lower port gun, then jump again to phase through the floor onto the middle deck between the front and top port guns. It also works on the starboard side, but you have to jump outside of the boiler thingy hitbox to be able to phase through.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9j8bf4vvaxd6ez/Junker%20shenanigans.mp4

Credit goes to Col. Dierone for discovering this yesterday (unless someone else has before).

Edit: Probably not useful enough to be seen too often, but could have its situational uses.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:07:28 pm by Erheller »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:34:32 pm »
I was shown that one months ago, but it's not an intentional feature (obviously), nor is it really consistent, and as you said it's not very useful. A fun bug to play with, though.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 11:28:37 pm »
Ah ok, technical term for spannering against gatling.

As for jump movement, seriously? :O I thought I was imagining it!

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 63
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 02:01:40 am »
yea, this only really works consistently in a 'controlled environment' i.e.not so much when you start getting into battle with lag and fire everywhere.  Too risky to use in battle, and if it was more predictable then it would probably be considered a cheat and be removed.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:54:22 am »
OK, I'm going to be working on the updated version of this video tomorrow and over the weekend, so if there's anything anyone would like me to add, post it here ASAP!

Current list:

Bunny hopping/jump movement-move around faster by spamming jump

Component bracing-Hitting the hull with a spanner a couple times during Gatling pressure before using the mallet allows for extra armored time

Mount guns in mid-air when falling past them (Galleon, maybe junker)-Use only in emergencies (assuming it doesn't cause me to teleport/rubber band due to touching a solid object on the fall)

N-Sunderland approved easy Squid repair circuit-will keep the other 2 circuits in there to use in case of extreme lag or personal preference (no big jumps at all=no rubber banding caused by hitting objects in midair, yes muse your fix didn't work for this one, see the Spire jump rubber banding section)

I will also streamline the video bit by leveraging my newfound Windows Movie Maker wrangling skills, cutting out unnecessarily long ending of clips, title screens, etc.

Finally, if you fellow engineers (or curious newbies) feel any of the footage is not clear enough (I still don't know how to fix the artifacts, sorry), name and shame it in this thread and I will re-record it.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 09:06:47 am »
Only thing you could add besides those are the moved repairs.
Hit a component and while the animation is still running you already move away so you already move to the next component to be faster but still get the repair on your first component.

Offline vyew

• Community Ambassador
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 10:57:08 am »
Good point, I will add a note about that.