Author Topic: Please, Remove Profle's Leave Count  (Read 30762 times)

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Please, Remove Profle's Leave Count
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 05:49:43 am »
But, which of the three would you guys prefer on your ships: a, a constantly reconnecting player trying hard not to earn a left game on the counter and "going for points" during the whole match :P like I did in the video; b, a "former" quitter now staying afk on your ship to avoid getting a left game on the profile, who is watching/playing something else on the net in another window (not as if I wanted to suggest deconstructive ideas...); c, or an AI who comes when a player leaves your ship and at least helps with repairs. The leave count, in a way, encourages the first two.

All very well put Andika and I think seeing as there is no way of the game knowing what is a legitimiate leave and what isn't (and 'legitimate' can be quite subjective) the leave counter could be quite misleading. I know I've left captains and crew because there's been an intolerable lack of teamwork or a game's gone on longer than expected and I've had to dash or for whatever reason lag has made it unplayable and I'd rather an AI take my place, like you say.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:10:29 am by geggis »

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 07:27:49 am »
I just took a look at my leave counter and it's higher than I thought.

Offline Van Manfred

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 08:44:06 am »
I understand that it is my responsability to insure that I have a decent internet connection, and I will. Until it is done, thought, I'll restraint from playing.

Anyway, whatever happens with the Leave Count, I want to thank this very supportive forum and, most of all, the Muse team. I'll be back, and then you'd better watch for me, somewhere in the crimson skies.

Cheerios !!!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:47:17 am by Van Manfred »

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 10:36:21 am »
It's really inevitable to NOT get any leaves on your counter. Gonna happen sooner or later. As long as the amount of leaves is smaller than matches played then its fine. I haven't actually been finding that many rage quitters myself and don't really check the leave count.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 11:28:17 am »
In my opinion, if someone has terrible internet reliability, and they lose connection on a very regular basis, that *should* be reflected in their leave stat.

If I'm depending on you as the captain, and you disconnect, it doesn't really matter if it was because you are a terrible sport, or because Grandma picked up the phone line while you were dialed into AOL yet again.

If you leave in the middle of a match, it negatively affects your crew. If this is something that happened due to extreme circumstances, thats fine. If it's something that happens on a regular basis, I'd like to know.

I think part of the problem is that the leave count couldn't be grandfathered in. This leads to players, like myself, with ~3000 games completed, and 0 recorded leaves. I fully admit that I, much as everyone else who plays this game, have left matches due to disconnects. With this stat in place now, eventually my leave count will reflect that. And I'm OK with that.

The problem is, new players are seeing older accounts, such as mine, and thinking there's some expectation to make it to several thousand matches without a single leave.

There's not.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 11:47:33 am »
I think part of the problem is that the leave count couldn't be grandfathered in. This leads to players, like myself, with ~3000 games completed, and 0 recorded leaves. I fully admit that I, much as everyone else who plays this game, have left matches due to disconnects. With this stat in place now, eventually my leave count will reflect that. And I'm OK with that.

Lol I can only imagine the horror of leave counts when GOI had their memory leak, and crashing was pretty much a norm for awhile.

Offline NoWuffo

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2013, 04:34:19 am »
or because Grandma picked up the phone line while you were dialed into AOL yet again.

Son, you have a strange and wonderful way with words...

I agree with Dragonmere here, I need to know the reliability of my co captains. However, I really only look at it for lower level players. I'll be honest, the higher your rank, the more I'm going to initially trust you. If I see a level 1 or 2 captain with over 2 dozen leaves (seen it), I'm probably going to ask you to not be my co captain. Then again, if a level 5 or higher joins in, I probably won't even care what his or her number is until they give me a reason to doubt them. I don't think the leave count is that big of a deal, I just think everyone needs to take this stat with a grain of salt.

I've had my game crash on me twice now, and so now I've got leaves. Oh well, I'm not sweating over it.

Offline Mr. Ace Rimmer

• Salutes: 31
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2013, 02:07:03 pm »
With the community being so close knit, once you've played 50+ games, people begin to get to know you, your personality and your strengths and weaknesses. They tend to ignore the leave counter at this point as long as you are following Guns of Icarus Online rule #1 (aka Wheaton's law): Don't be a dick!

It can look iffy to begin with, but if you play a few games with people questioning your leave count without leaving, it's all good. Most are also happy to accept disconnects, especially when the player involved explains what happened (and there can be any number of reasons for a disconnect from faulty graphics cards to router hiccups etc)

Offline Emperor Phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 09:57:43 am »
My main issue with the leave counter is the fact that it went up when I left a match I was spectating... Dwell on this.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 11:30:14 am »
My main issue with the leave counter is the fact that it went up when I left a match I was spectating... Dwell on this.
You should mail that in to Muse then. I've left several matches during spectating and have not been given a match leave.

Offline Van Manfred

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »
You should mail that in to Muse then. I've left several matches during spectating and have not been given a match leave.

Same here. I only get a Leave when I play (I often spectate and always leave those matches at some points).

Offline Serenum

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 06:04:02 am »
I don't like the idea of a "leave counter", I think it approaches the issue from the wrong angle. Instead of punishing players for leaving by "shaming" them it should reward those that stay until the end on a losing match, maybe with an achivement, or another counter called something along the lines of "stand your ground" or "never surrendered" that gives an idea of being a badass for fighting until the end even if you lose.

Plus, having the leave counter going up for accidental disconnects or crashing issues is pretty bad.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 10:20:21 am »
^

While I don't mind the leave-counter AT ALL, I entirely agree that there should be some positive incentives to stick around. In some lost thread somewhere I had suggested similar achievements (challenges, actually, since they're not class specific). I really like this idea. Give people a reason to do something, and they'll do it.

Also, there should be some indication to new players that leaving an in-progress game is frowned upon. Perhaps an "ARE YOU SURE? Your team needs you!" message or something for new players, when they try to abandon match. As it stands, newbies have no idea that they're not supposed to leave, nor do they realize the amount of stress it puts on their team. Often times, I'll see a new player with less than 20 games, half of which have been abandoned. I don't hold it against them. They didn't know.

(P.S. I got my first 'leave' ;) )

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2013, 11:26:09 am »
Plus, having the leave counter going up for accidental disconnects or crashing issues is pretty bad.
Except it doesn't. I mean, if you never come back to the game, something you have a few minutes to do so, you don't get a leave count. And if it does happen, on shucks, you get one. If you're "accidentally disconnecting" or "crashing" enough times to where it's a regular problem and your leave count is shooting up, you entering games knowing full well that something like is likely to happen again is probably just as bad as you leaving (and before someone gets in a huffy here, I'm using you in the general sense, not referring to you in specific).

Offline Serenum

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »
Except it doesn't. I mean, if you never come back to the game, something you have a few minutes to do so, you don't get a leave count. And if it does happen, on shucks, you get one. If you're "accidentally disconnecting" or "crashing" enough times to where it's a regular problem and your leave count is shooting up, you entering games knowing full well that something like is likely to happen again is probably just as bad as you leaving (and before someone gets in a huffy here, I'm using you in the general sense, not referring to you in specific).

If the game was perfect, you'd be right. But I happened to crash without the option to come back in the game, probably because of connection issues.
And anyway I don't feel that if you are in a laggy, unplayable game you should HAVE to re.connect after disconnect no. 23, you should at one point have the freedom to say "screw this, I'll just look for another game and let someone else try".