Author Topic: Lock out noobs  (Read 26177 times)

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
Lock out noobs
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:55:24 am »
Add a feature for creating lobbies to disallow noobs to join that lobby. Who those noobs are you ask? Everyone who is level 1 in every class and did not complete the tutorial. (note it's an AND condition, so both parts of the condition must be fulfilled) People who do not have the common sense to play the tutorial first when starting a multiplayer game rightfully earn the negatively coined title of noob.

Making it optional allows for friends of new players to teach the rookies themselves, people who are teached in that manner are sure to become level 2 in some class by the end of the teaching. Also, playing the tutorial should not be asked too much of anyone as it takes about 5 minutes.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
Re: Lock out noobs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 08:45:52 am »
I still think we will need more sophistication than that, I will start something in general discussion tonight.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:53:40 am »
I'm sorry since I may be biased on this (I hate the word "noobs" since it's negatively connotated) but I think it would split the community apart.

I agree with you on having to solve the problem behind this, but I don't think giving everyone a button to press to keep out unexperienced new players isn't the way to choose.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:59:29 am »
If a 1 1 1 joins my ship I usually quickly friend them to see how many matches they've played.

Tten I take it as my opportunity to welcome them them to guns of Icarus and take some time to teach them the basics of the game.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:08:12 pm by Captain Smollett »

Offline Cheekydood

• Salutes: 0
    • [RWBY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:05:56 pm »
If a 1 1 1 joins my ship I usually quickly friend them to see how many matches they've played.

Tten I take it as my opportunity to welcome them them to guns of Icarus and take some time to tech the the basics of the game.
This is exactly what i was going to say, you've only gone and beat me to it XD

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:33:23 pm »
I'm sorry since I may be biased on this (I hate the word "noobs" since it's negatively connotated) but I think it would split the community apart.

I agree with you on having to solve the problem behind this, but I don't think giving everyone a button to press to keep out unexperienced new players isn't the way to choose.
Splitting up the community isn't bad per se. The trick is to make sure the players can migrate to any of the pools if they so desire and are able to compete in that pool.

Tten I take it as my opportunity to welcome them them to guns of Icarus and take some time to teach them the basics of the game.
And then that 1 1 1 does this:

Really, been there done that.

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 01:44:26 pm »
The suggestion is being 1 1 1 AND not having done the tutorial
It's not that big of a split
going to level 2 takes only a few games and doing the tutorial isn't that long either
do one of these and you're not a "noob" anymore

Not saying I'm for or against this idea it's just that I don't find the suggestion hard enough to like, split the community apart.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 02:25:53 pm »
Think about it: The tutorial is currently evolving, it will become longer and more into detail. Doing all of these tutorials will take it's time as well as leveling EACH class to level 2 (they are still new und unexperienced players then) and by the end of the day we still have stacked teams that shoot those "not-noobs" into skyri...oblivion.

Offline treseritops

• Salutes: 6
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 02:38:27 pm »
I think a more constructive way to go about this is just locking the non-beginner matches until a player reaches Level 2 or 3 in at least one class. They will have at least learned the basic mechanics of the game to the point that they can join a normal match and learn from it, rather than just drowning in it.

Personal anecdote: When I first joined I *grossly* underestimated how deep this game was. I thought this would be more like an xbox live online match where everybody just kind of grabs guns and goes crazy, the majority of people don't communicate or know what they're doing, etc.

I played beginner matches but it's *really* hard to enjoy those matches because the captains are awful (I would quit games after 5-10min of 0-0). I started to branch out into matches above my skill level to try to see how the more experienced players worked and sometimes we won, sometimes we lost. Only once did I rage quit because the captain was such a douche about "WHY ARE MY ENGINES DOWN?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TRESERITOPS?! YOU HAVE TO REPAIR THE SHIP!" I was repairing the hull or something else and just misunderstood the "hierarchy" or repairs but noob stomping isn't cool.

Point is: no one wants to play beginner matches because you *don't learn* in them. And playing in the main matches is difficult.

Unlocking parts of the game would be a better solution:

Complete Tutorial- Opens up beginner matches in the non-pilot class. If you only do the engineer class, you cannot play as a gunner. (This is the only time the engineer and gunner unlock separately.

Level 3 in either class- Unlocks Pilot of beginner match and normal matches for non-pilot. (at this point if you are level 3 engineer you can play as a level 1 gunner in a normal match)

Level 3 of pilot- opens up piloting in normal matches.

[separate suggestion] Expand the CA role to include a lesser ambassador who can play in the beginner matches as a teacher/instructor. This way there would hopefully be at least 5-10 of these Match Ambassadors online who would teach in beginner matches from time to time.

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 03:09:21 pm »

+1

I've had a lot of positive experiences with new players I've taught from scratch (starting with when to use mallet/spanner/extinguisher and when to hit which components with which weapon). Some of them picked up the game really quickly and after a couple of matches they played significantly better than many high level players I've flown with.
I think it's mostly about the attitude of the pilot/crew whether they can work with inexperienced crew members or not. If you just expect things to run smoothly and start yelling if they don't, neither you, nor your crew will have a pleasant time. I can work with roughly 80-90% of those powder monkeys and swabbies who happened to end up on my ship if I'm in the mood to teach.
The remaining players are those who either struggle with language barriers, paying attention or processing the information provided and are very well able to cause discomfort for me and my crew.
Still, at least for me, the positive experiences out-weight the negative ones by far. On a side note: I actually prefer playing with lvl 1 players over playing with lvl 2-3 player, as it's easier to teach people from scratch than breaking bad habits. Those players who've just bought the game and experience their first matches are usually interested and eager to learn. Hence they're often easier to teach and pick up stuff quicker than players who've already played a couple of matches on their own and think they had got a grasp for the game.

Regarding Sprayers initial suggestion: I don't think pestering new players with a forced to tutorial would do us any good. In their current state there's little to learn from the tutorials anyway as they don't even cover the very basics of the game. Once the tutorials are a bit more sophisticated I think some sort of "we strongly recommend to play the tutorial"-pop up at the first login might come in handy.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 03:49:35 pm »
I would like people to need to do at least the very basics of a tutorial.

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 07:24:56 pm »
As promised: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2329.new.html

Lets get some discussion going and get a proper suggestion out to the developers.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 11:05:08 pm »
Keep your thread to yourself. Nobody here agrees with that thread. Not a single person. I have a few things I really want to say to you but they might get me kicked out of the CAs, which is a position I really enjoy. Anyhow. Your idea is - one I strongly disagree with (edit: keep it calm) - and I really dislike every single idea you've proposed in it, from the "reporting casual players" to the idea that only the "cool bros" can be in the competitive scene.

Okay. Take two.

Please keep your ideas out of here. They are completely out of scope for this thread.

I think this thread is a pretty good idea. I guess I feel like the best thing to do would be a blanket "You must have completed the beginner tutorial of your class to play in the game as that class, period." Not the advanced tutorial or anything, just the basics. It doesn't make sense to me that anybody would want to allow level 1-1-1s who have never done a single tutorial. Just grey out "join match" until you do at least one tutorial. It's not that harsh, or at least it doesn't feel so to me. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:09:51 pm by Keon »

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:07:08 pm »
Problem is that I think the current tutorials are kinda...lackluster. I think if they get improved it would make a lot more sense to have them be required to play a class. (i.e. if you wanna try engineer, you gotta finish the engineer tutorial)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 11:11:51 pm »
Problem is that I think the current tutorials are kinda...lackluster. I think if they get improved it would make a lot more sense to have them be required to play a class. (i.e. if you wanna try engineer, you gotta finish the engineer tutorial)

Very true. Though I think muse is working on them, if I remember right.