Author Topic: Ideas for new pilot abilities  (Read 24158 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Ideas for new pilot abilities
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:09 pm »
Why would you want to Keel Haul someone? It is not like we are moving through water or there are any barnacles to scrape up the victim's skin. The experience of being Keel Hauled on an airship would be very much like bungee jumping off a bridge. Flogging on the other hand would be just as unpleasant on an airship as it would on a water ship.

A captain's ability I would like is the "Frog March" where you manually pick up a crew member by his belt and collar and drag him to the gun you want him to be on.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 12:33:56 pm »
Why would you want to Keel Haul someone? It is not like we are moving through water or there are any barnacles to scrape up the victim's skin. The experience of being Keel Hauled on an airship would be very much like bungee jumping off a bridge. Flogging on the other hand would be just as unpleasant on an airship as it would on a water ship.

A captain's ability I would like is the "Frog March" where you manually pick up a crew member by his belt and collar and drag him to the gun you want him to be on.

That's why I was thinking you just let them hang there for a few hours, occasionally teabagging them against the ground. Then you get the wonderful lacerations and possible dismemberment you normally get with keel hauling.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 02:03:25 pm »
There really isn't a need for a harpoon disengage button.  You just need to train your gunners on when to cut the rope.

I've actually been using the harpoon quite a bit lately.  Can't wait til that weapon gets some Muse attention.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 04:19:45 pm »
The experience of being Keel Hauled on an airship would be very much like bungee jumping off a bridge.
well I was thinking more like when you dry your back after a shower - your back being the hull and the towel being the keel haulee.

"What's that you spawned in as engie with 3 buff hammers and no fire ext?" *player's screen suddenly fills with a jittering top down view of a desert vista accompanied by the sound of bare flesh squeaking backwards and forwards across metal*

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 04:46:20 pm »
Keel Hauling is supposed to incorporate all the fun of drowning with the joy of getting the crap beaten out of you by a bunch of angry bikers. Without the water pushing you into the hull I just don't see the point of it.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:52 pm »
Jagged cliffheads. That's the sport with airship keelhaul.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 11:52:09 pm »
Keel Hauling is supposed to incorporate all the fun of drowning with the joy of getting the crap beaten out of you by a bunch of angry bikers. Without the water pushing you into the hull I just don't see the point of it.

If there are Sky Whales then there are SKY BARNACLES!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!! Oh...I just thought up another Zuka codex entry!

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 12:05:13 am »
see you're thinking actual physical torture and punishment, where as I'm thinking of a way to indicate displeasure for comedic effect. But ok - some of the maps have water in them, but even for those that don't , flying at ground level would supply both the abrasive and frictional force you require.

Offline Generalissimo Kronch

• Salutes: 0
    • [CRUD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 01:10:49 pm »
 I'd like to see some way to prioritize a target with the spyglass. Maybe change the white reticle to other colors to assign priority to a ship and other crews would be able to see the colored marker too. Would help coordinate between team captains to focus on the heavy ships.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 01:58:03 pm »
I'd like to see some way to prioritize a target with the spyglass. Maybe change the white reticle to other colors to assign priority to a ship and other crews would be able to see the colored marker too. Would help coordinate between team captains to focus on the heavy ships.

Pretty sure that's what captain's chat is for. A lot of the game is intentionally structured in a way to encourage vocal coordination, and calling out targets is a part of that.

Offline Ninjamanj

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 09:26:43 pm »
These are just a couple i came up with Some of them are just downright crazy but who knows someone might want them.
Crazy abilities.
Barrel roll: makes your ship roll completely to throw the other ships off. Would damage Balloon slightly.
Ultra glow: Makes your ship glow very bright blinding Other ships(not including allies lets just say they where warned and put on super sunglasses) would damage hull armor.
Explosive armor: makes it so when you ram someone it does extra explosive damage but also damages your ships hull armor at the same time.
Serious abilities.
Balloon deflate: Deflates your balloon and makes you drop very fast. Would damage balloon slightly.
Balloon overflow: Over fills your balloon making you ascend fast. Would have a chance to completely destroy balloon but would damage near by enemies when it explodes.
Flaps: would stop the ship extremely fast without having to go in reverse. Would damage hull.(for the noob drivers that don't no when to turn the engine off when stopping)
Flare barrage: Fires flares in all directions to take out incoming missiles. Would damage Hull armor.

Offline Cloudrunner

• Salutes: 4
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 09:56:23 pm »
These are just a couple i came up with Some of them are just downright crazy but who knows someone might want them.
Crazy abilities.
Barrel roll: makes your ship roll completely to throw the other ships off. Would damage Balloon slightly.
Ultra glow: Makes your ship glow very bright blinding Other ships(not including allies lets just say they where warned and put on super sunglasses) would damage hull armor.
Explosive armor: makes it so when you ram someone it does extra explosive damage but also damages your ships hull armor at the same time.
Serious abilities.
Balloon deflate: Deflates your balloon and makes you drop very fast. Would damage balloon slightly.
Balloon overflow: Over fills your balloon making you ascend fast. Would have a chance to completely destroy balloon but would damage near by enemies when it explodes.
Flaps: would stop the ship extremely fast without having to go in reverse. Would damage hull.(for the noob drivers that don't no when to turn the engine off when stopping)
Flare barrage: Fires flares in all directions to take out incoming missiles. Would damage Hull armor.

Half of those exist in some form. And something tells me doing a barrel roll in an airship would be a grievous or very comical mistake.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 07:35:59 am »
And something tells me doing a barrel roll in an airship would be a grievous or very comical mistake.

are you trying to sell this to me? Cos I was already his when I read "barrel roll".

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 11:18:23 am »
"Hey I'm a new pilot and I'm having trouble surviving gat/mortar. Any counters/suggestions?"

"Oh it's easy, you just gotta do a barrel roll."

"E.. Excuse me?"

"Do a barrel roll!"

Continue telling new pilot to do barrel rolls to get out of every conceivable situation.
Occasionally tell him he's becoming more like his father.
? ? ?
Community profit.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:19:55 am by James T. Kirk »

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 11:38:37 am »
And also, start calling him fox and reminding him every 10 seconds when an enemy is behind you