Author Topic: Ideas for new pilot abilities  (Read 24549 times)

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for new pilot abilities
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 11:53:43 am »
I like the idea of an emergency braking tool. I've always thrown her in reverse with a burst o 'shine, then used Phoenix Claw or Drogue Chute to come to a complete, steady stop.

Offline Rumzie

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 04:39:07 pm »
I would seriously like to see the Tar upgraded to having particles inside the cloud that have a chance of making projectiles explode unexpectedly before hitting your precious ship.

If that seems too much for some than I would also be keen with a separate ability that does the same (without the tar). It seems like a great tactical fix for some ships that have no rear guns. Though to make this balanced though you would have to shred all of your hull armor. Albeit I'd rather have no hull armor than no engines on a ship.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:01 pm »
That just sounds like you want to take off your armor and have it float behind you.

Not sure how useful that'd be.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 05:33:32 pm »
I would seriously like to see the Tar upgraded to having particles inside the cloud that have a chance of making projectiles explode unexpectedly before hitting your precious ship.

I read that as your trying to use tar to lose spots, which works if you have a ship with centre mounted weapons chasing you, but fails with ships that have side mounts like the junker, because they will always see around the cloud.

The thing with tar is not to think of it as a portable cloud, but rather as a large rear facing flamer which can disable your pursuer if they fly through it. Also if your pursuer is to one side turn in the opposite direction just after you release the tar and diving also helps if they are trying to fly over the tar, if you toggle it off and on you can make a 180 degree spiral and still have engines to move with.

Offline Rumzie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 06:06:01 pm »
Changed my mind on upgrading tar as I only play on 2-3 ships so my view is askew. Though the reasoning behind the particles is a temporary relief for ships that want to get out of the fight quick and painless rather than repositioning themselves(I.E. Launch tar cloud full reverse and drop altitude). I don't captain much but it seemed a bit reasonable considering I've been in those situations where all engines get blown out and then you get rammed to your doom. A good pilot though shouldn't ever be in these kinds of situations anyways and adding this in would take away the risk slightly on showing the enemy your rear on most ships.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 06:07:02 pm »
I think Rumzie is takling about some sort of rear facing bullet shield. The odd thing is they existed:
Read Feudal Japanese "Horo" cloak:

That big pack on his back is essentially a silk balloon on a light frame or inflated by the rider's motion. When an arrow hits the silk the cloth/air resistance slows it down so the rider is not harmed.

Offline Rumzie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 06:13:16 pm »
I would like to see that in-game! Though I don't think I could take it seriously as a Balloon blocking a bunch of cannon fire hahahaha

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 09:45:33 am »
Maybe a shield, that blocks damage incoming from your rear up to 10% but slows you down to a relative amount, depending on mass and engine power of the ship used with.
Would be a great counter to flanking tactics.