Author Topic: The Mobula  (Read 322568 times)

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: The Mobula
« Reply #435 on: July 11, 2013, 08:50:39 pm »
Awesome. 

1.4 Sunderland launcher: 

A gun you put on your ship with a 360 degree arc and large firing arc.  It fires a mini N-Sunderland onto your own or allied ships.  Successful hits give insanely quick repairs to the component and all nearby components for 10 seconds after impact.

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:18 am »
1.4.1: Sunderland launcher is OP, no balance is possible. Removed from game. 

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 12, 2013, 12:08:02 pm »
SunderLauncher: Clipsize 180. VoiceChat activated. Shoots ducks. Uses salutes as ammo.

if i had it my way you'd be shooting yourself out the mine launcher from one side of the ship to the other side to repair things quickly ala mario 64
this is why we are friends
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:10:32 pm by -Muse- Cullen »

Offline kpenguin

• Salutes: 5
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 12, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
So I was flying against some mobulas today and the biggest issue fighting them was not their firepower but that none of us on the ship could estimate how damaged the mobula was. The changes to the model when a mobula's hull health is gnarly seem to be fairly subtle compared to others. Or I'm just not looking for the right thing.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 12, 2013, 09:57:58 pm »
the damage indicators seem to be a change in the whole airframe it gets darker - if you l have height on it on it it's very clear as the wings appear more chequered.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 14, 2013, 11:18:42 am »
I'd love to see some utility gun for quick navigation of the ship. That would be incredible.

Just have a small weapon mount that has 360 rotation and 1 clip, long reload. Player shoots out of it. I think every single engineer here would use it on all ships they owned.

Speaking of which, Sunderland, did those ropes allow any new tricks? I only tried for a bit but I found nothing D:

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 14, 2013, 11:34:59 am »
Just have a small weapon mount that has 360 rotation and 1 clip, long reload. Player shoots out of it. I think every single engineer here would use it on all ships they owned.

I wouldn't use it on a Pyra, nor would I use it on a Goldfish, nor would I use it on a Galleon, nor would I use it on a Junker, nor would I use it on Squid, nor would I use it on a Sp- Oh, wait, I would use it on a Spire. There's absolutely nothing else to do on that ship.

Speaking of which, Sunderland, did those ropes allow any new tricks? I only tried for a bit but I found nothing D:

The only potential I saw was to use them as lookout points, sort of like the Goldfish's roof. Otherwise they were just fun to climb.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2013, 04:34:41 pm »
So, uh, what's the meta for this ship looking like? I've had ridiculously great results on double artemis low, double carronade mid, merc high. The mid guns could be better ... I think the rationale is just removing a close-range target from his firing arc ASAP, and carronades do that quite well coupled with the Mobula's vertical speed.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2013, 08:45:37 pm »
I would like to take a moment to say that 5 Banshees are not only scary effective, buy scary fun.
Thank you.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 15, 2013, 04:50:23 am »
I like the idea of a long range side on the left and a close range side on the right.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 15, 2013, 01:51:58 pm »
Here's my opinion, and in my experience it works quite well in game.

You do NOT need three engineers. You need two standard non-buff engineers (mallet, spanner, extinguisher), and a gunner or buff engineer.

Gun lay out should favor long-range attacks over close quarters combat. Artemis lower deck, both sides. Mercury top captain's-gun. Captain can use the 'trick' to mount the top gun without getting too far from the helm, or the gunner/buffer can use it exclusively. Your choice of close-range weapons on the middle deck. Carronades recommended.

One engineer is totally dedicated to each side; Artemis, engine, and hull/balloon. They NEVER leave their "hallway". Gunner/buffer mid deck, handling the snipe during maneuvers and the close-range guns if an enemy gets too close. Gunner/buffer only has to worry about repairing his guns, and the main engine.

Pilot should equip tar barrel to compensate for the very large blind spot behind the ship. Possibly kerosene, chute vent/hydrogen to complement the ships vertical acceleration, or phoenix claw to keep the enemies in weapon's arc. Burst rounds on artemis for the extra ammo and the AOE increase for accessibility of disable/kill shots. Gunner/Buffer ammo depends on weapons equipped.

Park the ship at mid-long range, that way there should be NO repairs for the balloon/hull "hall"-engineers to worry about. Snipe, snipe, snipe. The two artemis on left and right low should be able to overlap arc at forward facing, and a good deal of side-front. You should be far enough from the engagement that the merc can easily strip armor and disable guns. Artemis disables everything else, and then goes in for the kill when hull drops.

If an enemy gets too close, you have a close range weapon on either side to facilitate a quick getaway, or entirely disable the foe. Carronades, combined with the mobula's climbing ability makes for a quick escape, and fire weapons do well to dissuade the enemy from continuing their attack. During close-range encounters, the engineers will most likely be worrying about hull/balloon depending on the enemies location (balloon low, hull high or on your six). The lack of vertical arc, and slow turn speed of the artemis will not be an issue, as no one will be firing these guns during a direct engagement.

When using this setup, by avoiding all close contact with the enemies, there should be minimal repairs needed. During heavy repairs, each player has a very distinct and defined role, and there should be no real problem getting to components that are, in fact, quite far from one another.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:00:01 pm by dragonmere »

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 16, 2013, 12:49:34 am »
I like the sound of that mobula loadout. Two artemis and a merc should be a stright killer! a killer I say!

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 16, 2013, 06:49:12 am »
I like the sound of that mobula loadout. Two artemis and a merc should be a stright killer! a killer I say!

the turning arcs on the artemis mesh nicely so combined with the mrecury it's possible to have 3 forward firing guns on the same target along most of the forward edge of the mobula. The carronades though - I've experimented with them but I find mortars much better as they can actually kill approaching enemies pairing with the artemis nicely.

After reading about it here I tried a 5 banshee load out and would heartily recommend it .

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 16, 2013, 10:08:24 am »
[On dragonmere's 3 engineer comment]

I love hearing this. Honestly I've found that, with my particular loadout, a gunner manning my top gun works best since I'm reliant on keeping certain guns firing at certain ranges. A gunner can bring the engineers ammo on top of his personal loadout (usually is only 2 types with a 3rd wheel anyways, now the 3rd wheel has a place) so when either engineer has to tend to his trench, the gunner is able to fill in for that weapon at a moments notice, have the right ammo to fire right away, and keep the ship fully effective. Thankfully when he has to fill in, we can forgo the top gun usually.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #449 on: July 16, 2013, 12:24:23 pm »
if i had it my way you'd be shooting yourself out the mine launcher from one side of the ship to the other side to repair things quickly ala mario 64

You could do this with jump pads. There needs to be a better way out of the hallway aside from the ladder. A small platform with a pneumatic kicker on the engine side would do nicely.