Author Topic: The Mobula  (Read 321333 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
The Mobula
« on: May 18, 2013, 11:01:20 pm »
So Muse revealed the newest ship today, the Manta Ray (EDIT: Official name is "Mobula").

It's still a work in progress, and, like we saw with the Spire, will likely see changes before it comes out.

So, let's speculate on ship stats, component locations, and potential strategies. And, of course, think of a good official name in case the devs want some ideas :D

EDIT: WIP shots so far, courtesy of LordFunPants

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:40:34 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: The Manta Ray
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 11:05:28 pm »
That thing...
looks like Lumberjack Bait in an instant...

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 11:09:43 pm »
MUSE make me a Harpy and I will donate my car to your ship designer! ok maybe not but I have a nice bicycle I can donate XD.

4 guns, 3 forward 1 rear, with the manta having to keep the enemy ship in a perfectly center position to hit with all 3 guns. I think that would be extremely cool. HP,speed, turning that's passed off to the balance guys with the slide rules XD.

@ Letus anything with a balloon wider than a goldfish is lumberjack bait.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 11:14:25 pm »
Looks like... five weapons front, but completely barren behind. We have a new weapons platform ship! To balance out its firepower, it would have to have a slow turn speed. It looks like its mostly balloon in front, so that system's HP may be extremely high. The Hull will be basically protected by the girth of the balloon, but be completely open from behind. The hull's HP must be close to nothing, so the squid may be a direct counter to this menace.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:33:20 pm »
You can see the ladders leading down to the lower guns. The pathway to each gun is clearly shown by the floor above it. Notably, that also extends backwards, right to where you can see what's clearly a turning engine. So this ship is going to be terrible for using kerosene, since you'll probably need three people camping the engines, unless there's a tunnel connecting the two lower gun areas, which I doubt.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »
Hmm... That raised deck in the centre... How do you get up there?

Optimistic: you get on the ropes on the other side of the ship, run along them, jump onto the next rope, and run over to the platform.

Realistic: there's a ladder in the tower next to it.

EDIT: Scratch that. I just noticed the gap in the railing. There's probably a ladder right there.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:54:38 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:02 pm »
If we are talking about weapon convergence, it looks like the pilots attack runs would be diagonal to the enemy ship... possible loadout: gat/flack sides with rocket carrousel top to be able to get your trifecta... which begs the question, where would the hull and balloon components be?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 12:00:30 am »
On the main deck, below and to the side of the main engine, that looks a lot like the balloon component. Not sure if that's too good or bad depending on where the hull is, but it's certainly pretty far away from the guns. Maybe the top deck gungineer could jump down when it's in trouble?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 12:03:28 am »
Also, looking at the floor and the lower deck gun areas again, it seems like there very well may be a tunnel leading between the lower guns. Could the hull be hidden down there?

Right now I'm thinking main deck engi, bottom deck engi, top deck engi/gunner.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 12:04:23 am »
yeah It looks like a gamble to get any engie on a gun... If this is it's true size, it looks like it could rival the galleon

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 12:06:42 am »
It's hard to tell, since the engineer running along the deck is clearly out of proportion (like half the size of a gat, lol). Looking at the size of the other crew members, it definitely looks bigger than the Galleon to me.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 12:14:28 am »
hmmm looks like turning engines are below deck as well... this ship is starting to look scary to me... very engineer heavy

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 12:20:06 am »
looks like turning engines are below deck as well...

Yes, as I pointed out several posts ago :P

They're positioned close to the lower guns. An engi would be able to keep one of them going at all times, but the other would be a real pain. Taking out both turning engines would pretty much screw the ship over.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 12:41:06 am »
i never realized how small i made that person running the deck. . . totally throws everything off. . .

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 01:39:30 am »
I had to look several times to find the person lol.

Definately looks like a weapons platform, from what we've seen I'm guessing this is a Chaladon ship, has a late Victorian British empire feel to it.

I'm guessing two gunners moving from port to starboard managing positions, could even throw the captain to the top gun and wait for an ambush, or have the spare engineer setup there and parkour their way down to repair.