Author Topic: The Mobula  (Read 321489 times)

Offline Zormac

• Salutes: 3
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: The Mobula
« Reply #390 on: July 09, 2013, 08:02:30 am »
Also, each engineer MUST bring standard loadout with no buffs, because otherwise the other engineer must run from one side of the ship to the other and that is not feasible.

3 engineers, the 3rd one with a buffing hammer. Buff crisis averted.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 09, 2013, 05:01:02 pm »
Seeing this thing all i can think of is perfect sniper :/

2 merc
2 art
1 either of above xD

Offline NikolaiLev

• Salutes: 4
    • [Fur]
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 09, 2013, 09:23:06 pm »
This is a pretty trash ship, going by first impressions.  Someone will have to pull out some miraculous emergent gameplay to make it decent.  It's essentially a Spire 2.0 that's even harder to repair.  It has horrible survivability, seems to have bad speed, and has no heavy mounts.

It's good cannon fodder, though.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:54 pm »
It would be nice if the balloon and hull were about where they are now, but on the top deck. That would make it less painful for sure, and give the engi something to look at besides walls.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 09, 2013, 10:30:37 pm »
I spent some time in Sandbox today to see if there's some way that you can get the three engines in one go. Results: if you could jump on top of the turning engines from the bottom deck, it would work. But that is not the case as far as I can see.

I heard about being able to jump up to the top gun... It works really well. After getting off the helm, the pilot can simply jump up and hit e. In fact, I'd say it would be best to have the pilot man the top gun, with a dedicated engi on the hull while the other two fire away.

By the way, Lordfunpants...

Thank you so much for those rope collisions. You are my hero.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 10, 2013, 03:08:13 am »
But the Manta can go up and down so damn quickly and has a much smaller hit box than the Spire.  Definitely has dodging potential.

Offline kpenguin

• Salutes: 5
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 10, 2013, 03:12:31 am »
After flying on one today, I think I can safely say I know what Engineer Hell looks like

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #397 on: July 10, 2013, 05:02:13 am »
Well gee, it's almost as if it was designed to be a support ship. Maybe trying to brawl with gat/flak is a reason it's so hard to repair.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 10, 2013, 06:55:58 am »
With a good Captain/crew and a long-range loadout it's a tough opponent.  As a stand-off support sniper on Desert Scrap it's a major PITA if you need to take the CP.

But, there's a lot of new players flying it, crews haven't got the hang of it yet, and some very poor loudouts.. so it looks like it's a squishie for the next couple of weeks.  And if a Captain allows himself to face two split opponents that blinds side is a major weakness.

Offline Zormac

• Salutes: 3
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 10, 2013, 08:16:38 am »
I used the Mobula extensively yesterday and had a LOT of fun, especially against other mobulas. The biggest threat so far are the squids, because they can run circles around mobulas, which just sit there taking a lot of carronade/flamethrower damage from below.

Basically, the gameplay with the mobula is: kill your enemy before it deals enough damage. And it _can_ do it. I had 2 gats and 2 flaks firing and enemies just died in seconds (yes, I was firing too). With less health than a spire, once the armor is down, it's game over. That means that you have to be able to do the same to your enemies, killing them as soon as their armor is down. This is the true glass cannon, much more so than the spire, in my opinion.

I, for one, am satisfied with the ship, and my crew said they had tons of fun. Nobody complained about "not being able to see the fight outside", because my engineers were shooting most of the time, running inside only occasionaly. With the proper loadout, the crew is going to have a great experience.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 10, 2013, 09:08:32 am »
I think the biggest weakness of this ship is it's balloon.

Not just because it's giant.

I was in a goldfish, flying circles around a Mobula when I made the mistake of thinking my gunner had disabled all the guns. In fact, he had disabled 2/5 of them, and I quickly ate point blank merc shots and gat flak fire. Trying to save my life, I quickly chute'd to the ground, forgetting the rapid vertical movement of the Mobula.

It smashed it's own balloon on the ground, killing it. Unable to rise is scraped the dead balloon on the ground, taking out the armor and permahealth in about 2 seconds. Went from sure I was dead to having been awarded the Mobula kill.

It's true the opponent was inexperienced, but the Mobula has got to be the least forgiving against collision (well, Spires has their own special brand of collision). I have to do more science on this (can't fly a Mobula to save my life at the moment), but it's what I saw.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2013, 09:23:48 am »
Really, nobody's discussing the new rope collisions? That was the most fun I had in-game yesterday.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2013, 09:32:21 am »
I was too busy not flying one, lol.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2013, 09:32:49 am »
Since someone brought up the balloon issue I'd like to say, this ship might rise fast, but it drops fast as well, the balloon will keep colliding with the ground and getting destroyed indefinately if you get them bouncing, which is pretty harsh.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2013, 09:37:36 am »
By no means have I tested it extensively, but they all have a little fin that sticks out the bottom that counts as hull.  This partially reduces them falling on their balloon.