Author Topic: It's The Clawwwwwww!  (Read 78088 times)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
It's The Clawwwwwww!
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:42:35 pm »
Do you think the phoenix claw is too good at what it does? Do you think it needs a nerf? More damage to engines or decreased turning speed. Discuss  the claw below.

Offline Argus Finkle-McGraw

• Salutes: 0
    • [Cthu]
    • View Profile
Re: It's The Clawwwwwww!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:29:51 am »
Probably, it's chosen by nearly every pilot in nearly every match.  It seems to reduce one of the major weaknesses certain ships have as well.

It's so satisfying to use though, can we just buff all the other tools instead?

Offline Wundsalz

• Salutes: 72
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:15:37 am »
The phoenix claw is overpowered and a certain pick on almost every single ship I fly. I'd like to see its behaviour to be altered to be more intense but less forgiving - similar too moonshine. Even less angular drag but intense damage for the engines (~30-40dps). Currently I tend to overuse it quite a bit and occasionally observe myself to activate it in situations where it's not really needed.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 08:58:11 am »
I think the major issue is that it's nearly penalty free. Unlike kerosene which you have activated for a long time you only ever need claw for a few seconds.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:29:21 am »
I don't think lowering the effectiveness alone will help at all. As Queso says, right now there is no measurable penalty to using it in large amounts, even when you don't need to.

The easy thought is just more damage to engines to use it. We all agree that current phoenix claw works. The issue is that you can simply leave it on. I don't really think some big new mechanic change is required. Just up the damage done to engines so that it's usable, but not nigh indefinitely.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:53:22 am »
While it is useful another reason for its near universal use is that it is the only turning tool. Just as everyone brings phoenix claw, near everyone brings kerosene or moonshine. It makes sense, everyone wants to move fast and move better. Adding a different tier of turning ability (more powerful and damaging turn) could help.

Also a nerf would be a death sentence to Galleons, an already critically underused ship.

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 09:57:48 am »
Agreed, a minor increase in damage should be ideal.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 10:12:32 am »
While it is useful another reason for its near universal use is that it is the only turning tool. Just as everyone brings phoenix claw, near everyone brings kerosene or moonshine. It makes sense, everyone wants to move fast and move better. Adding a different tier of turning ability (more powerful and damaging turn) could help.

Also a nerf would be a death sentence to Galleons, an already critically underused ship.

Simply introducing another tool won't fix anything. Claw needs to change regardless.

People don't complain about Galleons because they turn slowly. They complain because more then not, their guns are smoking heaps stuck in endless rebuild loops. That however is for another thread.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 10:18:10 am »
Pheonix claw is overused because its almost a necesity and as a choice isnt conflicting.

There are solutions to this. Like making pheonix claw a bit more punishing or change it completely, but pheonix claw is one of the reasons why you would want a pilot in the first place. A must have tool for a ship, so you can then put other tools in with the mix for the ship. I dont want to change it completely because it doesnt need a complete change, but maybe buff and make other tools more prefered.

My solution is a new pilot tool that is similar to pheonix claw but in the vertical direction.
Gas Meter
You Rise up or down faster when chosen. Damages the baloon per second by slight. (Helm Tool)

Similar to the pheonix claw, this one helps the ship go up and down faster in the expense of baloon health. But not as rapid as Hydro or Chute vent, nor as strong.
I believe this is a good tool to be brought in to conflict pilots into choosing gas meter or pheonix claw or both. This tool greatly helps ships with terrible vertical meneuver ments. But can also make hydro and Chute vent even stronger for ships that are good on vertical meneuverments (Mobula just may sky rocket)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 10:33:40 am »
I cannot figure out why you think a new tool will do anything to solve the issue with a different tool.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:44:20 am »
Because not everyone sees it is as terribly imbalanced but simply overused.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 10:59:25 am »
Its overuse is not attributed to there not being more alternatives. It's due to the fact that using claw for long periods of time is easy to do. As such, for the low cost of one pilot slot, you can change the turning stats of a ship for effectively an entire match. Your pyra that was balanced to turn x now turns for y. It hurts every ship that relies on turning mobility as an advantage. Will changing it fix that issue entirely? Don't know. But I honestly believe that as is, Claw will continue to hurt ship balance in terms of turning.

We can agree to disagree right here if you believe adding a new tool will on its own solve the problem. Adding a balanced alternative is fine, but not a way to somehow fix something that is broken.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 11:07:03 am »
My impression is that claw is used in short bursts that is how I've always seen it used., doesn't it hurt overall speed?

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:17:44 am »
It's used in short bursts when you need to turn faster than the ship normally can. Since it's such low health to use it's in effect just increasing turn speed with just the cost of a pilot tool. Nobody just sits and spins.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:58 am »
Isn't there a total speed reduction as well?