Author Topic: New weapon idea(s): Ligh and Heavy shark torpedo launcher  (Read 13018 times)

Offline omegaskorpion

• Salutes: 7
    • [CwG]
    • View Profile
New weapon idea(s): Ligh and Heavy shark torpedo launcher
« on: June 04, 2014, 06:29:55 am »
Ligh and Heavy Shark Torpedo Launcher

Light Shark

Stats

Direct Damage:    50 Fire

Burst Damage:     100 shatter

Burst radius:      6m

Effective Vs:     Balloon, hull, guns, engines

Reload Speed:      4 s

Magazine Size:    2

Projectile Speed:    400 m/s²

Fire speed:  1.25 Bullets/s

Range:   2000m

Size:    light

Horizontal Angles:    40 deg Left; 40 deg Right

Vertical Angles:    40 deg Up, 40 deg Down

Other information:

Torpedo's have heat seeking ability and they follow biggest heat source (ships), they can be fooled with flare gun and they will follow closest flare.

Torpedo's heat seeking area radius is 300m so they can't follow targets that are outside of that area.   

Torpedo's are bigger than missiles and canon shots and are more visible, they can also be shot with any gun before they reach their target.

Heavy shark

Stats

Direct Damage:    30 Fire

Burst Damage:     50 shatter

Burst radius:      5m

Effective Vs:     Balloon, hull, guns, engines

Reload Speed:      8 s

Magazine Size:    16

Projectile Speed:    370 m/s²

Fire speed:  3 Bullets/s

Range:   2000m

Size:    Heavy

Horizontal Angles:    30 deg Left; 30 deg Right

Vertical Angles:    30 deg Up, 30 deg Down

Other information:

Torpedo's have heat seeking ability and they follow biggest heat source (ships), they can be fooled with flare gun and they will follow closest flare .

Torpedo's heat seeking area radius is 350m so they can't follow targets that are outside of that area.   

Torpedo's are bigger than missiles and canon shots and are more visible, they can also be shot with any gun before they reach their target.

My other ideas

Ships:

swan
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4156.0.html

turtle
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4160.0.html

skyreaper
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4162.0.html

dragonfly
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4161.0.html

ikazuchi
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4243.0.html

Bridge
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4267.0.html

Guns:

Kalskel light canon
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4251.0.html

Light Nailer
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4256.0.html

light zhuno Crossbow
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4264.0.htmln

Heavy piercer canon
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4269.0.html

(stats, model and the name are just ideas that can be changed)

Offline Milevan Faent

• Salutes: 15
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: New weapon idea(s): Ligh and Heavy shark torpedo launcher
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 07:03:18 am »
Now see, I haven't been too interested in most of your concepts for guns so far, but THIS! This is actually rather unique and interesting! This is what I want to see in a new gun! Something that actually stands out in what it does! Heat-seeking missiles, huh? The seeking area should probably be little smaller, so you at least have to aim a little. Overall though, I LOVE this concept!

EDIT: Reload speed might need to be toned down a bit too, as this IS a weapon that's a bit tricky to deal with, even if you can shoot it down or counter with flares. Noobs would die in droves XD

I assume, as this deals fire damage, it would have a chance to ignite fires?

EDIT2: Okay, so I'm going to probably end up theory-crafting this gun to death now in an attempt to see how balanced it is, to break down ways it could work that might be interesting but still balanced, and just generally doing crazy shit with it XD I shall post it all in a new post when I finish "testing" it and thinking up ideas, as I'm sure this post will be locked by then. Though I'll probably go to bed first so I can do it after I've woken up with a fresh mind.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:17:06 am by Milevan Faent »

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 07:31:52 am »
Now see, I haven't been too interested in most of your concepts for guns so far, but THIS! This is actually rather unique and interesting! This is what I want to see in a new gun! Something that actually stands out in what it does! Heat-seeking missiles, huh? The seeking area should probably be little smaller, so you at least have to aim a little. Overall though, I LOVE this concept!

EDIT: Reload speed might need to be toned down a bit too, as this IS a weapon that's a bit tricky to deal with, even if you can shoot it down or counter with flares. Noobs would die in droves XD

I assume, as this deals fire damage, it would have a chance to ignite fires?

EDIT2: Okay, so I'm going to probably end up theory-crafting this gun to death now in an attempt to see how balanced it is, to break down ways it could work that might be interesting but still balanced, and just generally doing crazy shit with it XD I shall post it all in a new post when I finish "testing" it and thinking up ideas, as I'm sure this post will be locked by then. Though I'll probably go to bed first so I can do it after I've woken up with a fresh mind.

Thank you, i appreciate ideas. (and yes the gun has change to ignite fire)

And no, i wont lock these idea posts since i want to hear peoples ideas and opinions. (if some of my posts are locked: i have no idea why they are locked)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:05:44 am »
He probably means the fact that you can't modify your own post after a certain period of time.

I dunno about the projectile speed. If it were to be too fast then the projectile would fly right past the enemy ship, unless the projectile can turn incredible fast, which makes dodging it impossible (don't forget that pilot tools should be useful too).

Considering the range it has, it can potentially be better than any other long range gun and the shatter damage makes it all the more useful. In contrast, mercury, artemis, hades, heavy flak and lumberjack require lots of practise in order to aim. I would tune it down to around 1000m, so that long range ships have a better chance fighting it, at least on the light version (light flak has less range than heavy flak too).

I am a bit confused with the logic of giving the light version more burst radius than it's heavy counterpart. Damage is arguable since the heavy version has so much more ammo and its fire rate is higher as well.

Long range fire damage heavy guns needs to be a thing. Heat-seeking makes it easy to use. Considering that its burst damage is shatter damage could make it a potential harrasment weapon like the artemis was/is. Switching it though is questionable too since only fire damage is easy to counter with chem spray and how accurate can you be with heat-seeking projectiles in order to make use of direct damage?

Anyhow, I like this gun so far.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:25:17 am by Dementio »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:40:23 am »
I really like the heatseeking/flare idea because it comes with downsides- the torpedo can be shot down and it can be dodged. I would only make it seek out working engines or guns, so a crafty pilot could turn off engines, stop firing guns, and easily dodge by just using vertical mobility.

Gilder has been asking for a torpedo almost a year now.. https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1580.0.html

The artemis also used to be heat-seeking, then was deemed op and removed, but that was before my time.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:46:55 am by Omniraptor »

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 10:59:04 am »
Gilder has been asking for one almost a year now..

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1580.0.html

There has been many posts about asking devs to make heat seeking weapons past 2 years.
but there hasn`t been many posts that have art about it.

He probably means the fact that you can't modify your own post after a certain period of time.

I dunno about the projectile speed. If it were to be too fast then the projectile would fly right past the enemy ship, unless the projectile can turn incredible fast, which makes dodging it impossible (don't forget that pilot tools should be useful too).

Considering the range it has, it can potentially be better than any other long range gun and the shatter damage makes it all the more useful. In contrast, mercury, artemis, hades, heavy flak and lumberjack require lots of practise in order to aim. I would tune it down to around 1000m, so that long range ships have a better chance fighting it, at least on the light version (light flak has less range than heavy flak too).

I am a bit confused with the logic of giving the light version more burst radius than it's heavy counterpart. Damage is arguable since the heavy version has so much more ammo and its fire rate is higher as well.

Long range fire damage heavy guns needs to be a thing. Heat-seeking makes it easy to use. Considering that its burst damage is shatter damage could make it a potential harrasment weapon like the artemis was/is. Switching it though is questionable too since only fire damage is easy to counter with chem spray and how accurate can you be with heat-seeking projectiles in order to make use of direct damage?

Anyhow, I like this gun so far.

Well let me explain.

The projectile speed is VERY SLOW as you can see, which gives torpedo time to turn but it also gives time to shoot them down or deploy flare.
The torpedo seeks heat at range of 300-350m which ist much bigger rainge than flame trowers flame. This and projectile speed, means that it cant hit targets from long rainge if they aren't leaned right. Also they are more easier to spot at long rainge and that gives 2x more time to shoot them down or deploy flare.

The differences beetween light and heavy are this, because i want them both be usefull.
Light deals hevier damage per shot but heavy deals damage faster.

The biggest weakness of these guns is the projectile speed and the size of the projectile. They are easy to spot and easy to shoot down (flame trower and gatling will make it easier)

They are good surprise guns from clouds, but in open area they lose some of their effectivenes. At close rainge they can deal good damage but they aren't the fastest ones to do that.

They are good support weapons but not good main guns. (light version is good for port of pyra and front of junker, heavy is good for galleon)

I really like the heatseeking/flare idea because it comes with downsides- the torpedo can be shot down and it can be dodged. I would only make it seek out working engines or guns, so a crafty pilot could turn off engines, stop firing guns, and easily dodge by just using vertical mobility.

That could also work to stop torpedos  from following you.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:02:39 am by omegaskorpion »

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:43:05 pm »
I like this idea too. Heatseeking weapons may have been op back in the Artemis days but i feel like Muse could balance out a weapon that homes in rather easily now especially if they move slow enough to be shot down or get distracted by flares. The other ideas are great too of having them not home if the engines aren't running, but I wouldn't have them track guns firing as they can be shot straight at a ship and shooting them down would be a last line of defense if the balloon cant get you the ship of the way in time.

Adding arming time could be a another idea give the light version a very long arming distance of like 400m turning it into an easy to use but easy to counter long range weapon and the heavy like a 200m arming distance to stop it from being used at point blank but make it more effective at medium ranges, so even between the two guns they would be slightly different with the small version a long range harass and the big version a medium to long range disabler.

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:34:04 am »
Naming Conventions! Don't Forget the Naming Conventions! Don't deviate from the Greco-Roman Naming convention we currently have!
(thus, this would probably be named the Neptune heavy torpedo launcher)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 12:40:34 am »
Pfft, heck with rome, I want my heavy impact damage Barracuda!

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 03:24:12 am »
I agree, barracuda is an awesome name. The current guns are not all greco-roman, balloon-poppers and gatling for example.

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 05:17:50 am »
And when i name my guns, i try to find suitable name... it turns out that im bad with names.
Still these names are just ideas so delopers can name then what ever they want.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 05:55:01 am »
The choice of gun's  names actually makes me think there are Final Fantasy fans amongst devs , who named the weaponry.

So.. what do you think of Ifrit?

Offline omegaskorpion

• [CwG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 06:21:44 am »
Ifrit torpedo laucher?

Offline macmacnick

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 121
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile: Macmacnick
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 10:34:26 am »
Barking dog light carronade, Hellhound heavy carronade. both are similar in name, light is to greco-roman, heavy is.