Author Topic: Anime Discussions?  (Read 143821 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: Anime Discussions?
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2015, 10:50:15 pm »
Like, Elfen Lied horrible?

Or AoT horrible?

Edit: Oh god it's like Higurashi isn't it

so how bout that pigeon blood?

and I've play katawa... I'm dead inside and analyse a story for its technique. I do not get feels.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:55:36 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:37 pm »
she so hot she burned?

Play Katawa Shoujo and don't ask anymore dumb questions...you don't want to incur the wrath of Hanako fans.

Ghost in the Shell will suck because Hollywood is run by money, not by creative interest. They'll look at the original story, then use a few concepts but go completely off the deep end with the rest. Cut funding here and there and then end up with crap. Its how we got directors like Paul WS Anderson still working and not stung up by his thumbs somewhere for butchering Resident Evil.

Any Western take on Japan film will be terrible with few exceptions. We take the story, then twist it to what sells here. Which then gets twisted more by studios. They never keep the storyline in tact or the characters. When money rules their decisions, there is no concept of keeping a story true to it's original.

Course Japan does similar. If you've ever seen Heroman, you'll see one of the most unrealistic representations of US high school life. Its like they wanted to make a shounen show but the character age groups don't match. Kinda like there was two teams working on it. One who developed the characters, the other who developed story. Its a decent anime and a nice watch once you get past the little issues. Just gotta forget that these are supposed to be American characters. If you imagine it as a shounen show with that age group, you can stomach it.

But still, if that is their biggest offense, its pretty small in comparison to how terrible western film is.

Some animes, could be done in western live action and actually turn out not terrible. Most of them would be the ones not set in Japan. Attack on Titan, Valkyria, or probably just about any space series or fantasy show.

This is heavily imply the Japanese film industry is any better.

Japanese actors are kinda bad or rather very pantomime at acting. Plus some of their adaptations...

As for frozen... you know the song let it go? It doesn't even fit the damn story. You say it changed the story... but that change clearly didn't change enough to actually fit the damn song that was the whole point of the change.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 10:57:20 pm by Ceresbane »

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2015, 11:08:59 pm »
It's not anime, but have you guys ever heard of Generator REX?

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2015, 12:08:29 am »
It's not anime, but have you guys ever heard of Generator REX?

that sounds so 90s.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2015, 01:57:30 am »
Of course it didn't fit the movie. Its because the girl who sang it, changed the movie. The original movie was to have Elsa be more evil. Trouble was when she sang it, she did it so well in this form that they decided to change the movie to fit the stupid song.

Yeah many of the Japanese actors I've seen have been bad. Course I blame their love for bishounen protagonists partly for this. When that went wild, every film had to have one in it and they were almost always terrible. Course they'd then write the script specifically for them so they'd use the same tropes that women there demanded.

I'm not saying they are better, but that their story telling is generally more open to new ideas. But yes they do rehash a lot too and everyone copies everyone there. Here we'd be up in arms but there copying it is more as paying homage it seems. They also can get away with it better than in the west because they always seem to try to improve on an idea. Just, some don't improve in the right way and the story tanks. Which is why you have tripe series like MM. One show before it went with the S&M protagonist, they copied and turned it completely cliched and tropey. I'm still mad that show made it here and got raves. Course no one else had seen the original cause they don't watch streams like I do and see each anime long before it releases in the states.

Generator REX...hmmm...I may have. Name sounds vaguely familiar. I used to be up nightly watching just about every show I could for awhile. You'd be amazed how many animes you can watch in a short amount of time :D.

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2015, 05:14:13 am »
Seinfeld is my favourite anime

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2015, 08:40:05 am »
I had a bigger synopsis typed, but shit happened, sooooo

The world has been infected by the 'nanovirus', about which almost nothing is known beyond the fact that victims have a random chance of going batshit insane and transforming into powerful, rampaging monsters with almost no warning at all.  One person is unique, however, because he is a a teenager mysteriously connected with the explosion that infected the world.  He is very much infected, but he can control it, warping his body into badass implements of destruction at will.  He's working for the government as a top-secret anti-virus weapon.

It's pretty cool, you guys can check it out.  Rex actually has routine issues controlling his powers, and he doesn't get some sort of powerup through sheer determination.

What is your guys's view on Tsunderes?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2015, 11:28:43 am »
Like, Elfen Lied horrible?

Or AoT horrible?

Edit: Oh god it's like Higurashi isn't it

Higurashi is probably the closest to it. Same general mystery behind the story too.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2015, 03:49:56 pm »
Tsunderes...some are decent, others just get annoying. One trope regarding them that I get tired of is they most often make it a short small breasted girl as the tsundere. Toradora really gave this image a boost unfortunately.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2015, 03:54:59 pm »
Tsunderes...some are decent, others just get annoying. One trope regarding them that I get tired of is they most often make it a short small breasted girl as the tsundere. Toradora really gave this image a boost unfortunately.

Probably because it was really fuckin' good.

But the good Tsunderes?  Someone made a point to me.

It's not so much a personality, as it is a disorder.  They compulsively hurt everyone around them, even if their heart is full of nothing but love to give.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2015, 04:27:29 pm »

No... toradora didn't do anything but follow a trend. What made the popularity of Tsundere was Asuka from evangelion. Claimed to actually be the first official vanilla tsundere (unless of course you count hentai rapey times).

With Evangelion's theme around the hedgehog complex. It created the foundations of the archetype.

Or rather, like all things. It created a interesting characters and was bastardised and dumbed down into a few key traits that created the archetype.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:34:17 pm by Ceresbane »

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2015, 04:43:02 pm »
Yeah Eva did, I'm just saying the modern stereotype was influenced heavily by Toradora. Yes Toradora is one of my favorites. Just when you can instantly peg the tsundere character before they even say much of anything, its getting a bit ridiculous. Its like..oh look, super short girl with small top...tsundere in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Think my favorite since is Inami in Working!! Shes a tall girl and so traumatized into hating men due to her father that she beats up just about all she sees. So you have the man hater mixed with tsundere. Then give her super strength thanks to her dad keeping weights in her school bags growing up. Ahh...I want a season 3 of that show so bad. Sadly, her character started a push towards promoting similar man hater characters. All of which were vastly inferior to Inami.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:50:47 pm by Gilder Unfettered »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2015, 09:51:01 pm »
http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/junketsu-no-maria-online

oh dear god! so gud... so much waifu.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2015, 12:51:33 am »
Ok so Kantai Collection is the browser game which has taken Japan by storm right? Right?

I really don't get why this exists when Arpeggio of Blue Steel was much better and way more interesting. The girls don't even turn into the ships they represent, they just do cutesy things with giant cannons and backpacks strapped to their butts.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2015, 02:08:59 am »
Ok so Kantai Collection is the browser game which has taken Japan by storm right? Right?

I really don't get why this exists when Arpeggio of Blue Steel was much better and way more interesting. The girls don't even turn into the ships they represent, they just do cutesy things with giant cannons and backpacks strapped to their butts.

Because they aren't ships- they are specifically NOT actual ships, they're actual girls; Cyborgs, if you will.