Author Topic: Anime Discussions?  (Read 142431 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Discussions?
« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2015, 02:21:28 am »
Meh, I want Blue Steel back. Seeing the Sentoku class submarines in action, even if as transforming girls, was worth it. Dumb military in WWII had to scuttle them. I'd like to go back and slug whoever decided not to keep those around. First and last subs that could launch and retrieve planes. They would have been priceless to museums. <Insert Indy Voice "THAT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!"

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2015, 09:02:43 am »
Why not both?  It wouldn't really work, though, because in-canon they are actually ship-GIRLS.  Blue Steel does sound really cool though.  But the Sentoku sound rather impractical, especially to put in a museum.  To launch aircraft the sub had to have been fucking huge.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2015, 03:33:57 pm »
Blue Steel uses an anime CG style. Its not as great as regular drawn ones but its unique. Uses some common tropes but overall not terrible.

It was ingenious. The whole design was based around being able to sneak close to the US west coast, launch the plane, then hit strategic targets before any defenses could be raised. The plane was basically a sea plane with pontoons that could be collapsed. It was bigger indeed. The conning tower was a mini container and launch system for the plane.

One issue tho, it took time for them to reload the plane and dive again. The whole design was in early stages but absolutely brilliant.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2015, 04:29:48 pm »
Blue Steel uses an anime CG style. Its not as great as regular drawn ones but its unique. Uses some common tropes but overall not terrible.

It was ingenious. The whole design was based around being able to sneak close to the US west coast, launch the plane, then hit strategic targets before any defenses could be raised. The plane was basically a sea plane with pontoons that could be collapsed. It was bigger indeed. The conning tower was a mini container and launch system for the plane.

One issue tho, it took time for them to reload the plane and dive again. The whole design was in early stages but absolutely brilliant.

Even better, have a submersible aircraft!  Just launch them underwater and have them come out that way!

I miss warships.  They were badass.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2015, 05:43:35 pm »
Alright discussion time. Aldnoah Zero 2 is coming out in probably a day or so. What do you all expect? (Spoilers ahead)

One, they did nothing to set up any new protagonist and as far as the story goes, the one guy is becoming the villain. His love is dead and he helped her killer do it. Then he offs the protagonist. But the question is, will the protagonists stay dead? I think what we'll see is a time gap followed by a revelation that either she was brought back via Aldnoah or he was. The war will be brought to Martian soil. The Earth forces need Aldnoah to be able to stand against Mars, that is clear. The entire first season seems to set him up as being the pilot to take the fight to Mars. So, even with him getting killed at the end, he's too important to die. Her character too is too important. She could go into a coma or something. Earth needs her survival cause without her alive, Aldnoah couldn't function for them. I can't see the story continuing without them surviving. Earth tech is too far behind and there is just no story without them to help mount a resistance.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2015, 06:01:40 pm »
Alright discussion time. Aldnoah Zero 2 is coming out in probably a day or so. What do you all expect? (Spoilers ahead)

One, they did nothing to set up any new protagonist and as far as the story goes, the one guy is becoming the villain. His love is dead and he helped her killer do it. Then he offs the protagonist. But the question is, will the protagonists stay dead? I think what we'll see is a time gap followed by a revelation that either she was brought back via Aldnoah or he was. The war will be brought to Martian soil. The Earth forces need Aldnoah to be able to stand against Mars, that is clear. The entire first season seems to set him up as being the pilot to take the fight to Mars. So, even with him getting killed at the end, he's too important to die. Her character too is too important. She could go into a coma or something. Earth needs her survival cause without her alive, Aldnoah couldn't function for them. I can't see the story continuing without them surviving. Earth tech is too far behind and there is just no story without them to help mount a resistance.

Knowing Anime, they're not dead, for sure.  I've never watched even the first season, but would you recommend it?

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2015, 07:05:20 pm »
Yes very much. Aldnoah Zero is fantastic. Its a mecha but it doesn't follow all the traditional tropes. You don't have the hero finding the godlike mech that can't be stopped nor kids with delusions that killing is bad/etc. People get killed in it and no one is really super safe. Kalafina does the opening song for it. If you recognize that name, you'll like it.

Opening to it: http://dai.ly/x267jhr

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2015, 12:29:02 am »
Finally an anime topic I can get into!

Watched the whole series from the start, and must say I loved it. It was definitely a twist as far as tropes go (the stoic main protagonist was definitely unique), and overall enjoyed it quite a bit. Have even listened to the opening song over 200 times by now.

Definitely pumped for Aldnoah.Zero 2, finally a good anime to watch again (got bored of Log Horizon II and SAO II mid-way through the season, hasn't been much else to entertain me since).

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2015, 12:42:56 am »

Watched the whole series from the start, and must say I loved it. It was definitely a twist as far as tropes go (the stoic main protagonist was definitely unique), and overall enjoyed it quite a bit. Have even listened to the opening song over 200 times by now.

Definitely pumped for Aldnoah.Zero 2, finally a good anime to watch again (got bored of Log Horizon II and SAO II mid-way through the season, hasn't been much else to entertain me since).

Kek... implying SAO 2 was good at any point.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2015, 01:31:26 am »

Kek... implying SAO 2 was good at any point.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It was a good concept, and if they'd not gone in the direction they did, (full harem) it might have been amazing.  Really wish that guy he meets at the very beginning would have teamed up with him right away...

Because of the fact it went full harem, SAOII, or as some people like to call it, GGO,   is pretty much a pile of steaming Powder Monkey dung.

Also, I'll be sure to watch AZ, then.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2015, 02:07:54 am »
I enjoyed SAOII just cause its SAO. The 2nd half kinda slowed a bit. But the series pretty much went too much into harem area, I agree on that. It didn't need to. It was clear Asuna would be the only one for Kirito from the start. But if you think the series is bad, play SAO Hollow Fragment. The game is literally cheap harem cliche scene after another. You can increase relationships with all the girls but Asuna is still the only one you marry. To increase them, you basically flirt then sleep in the same bed, not sex, for a night. Its silly and kinda lame but its neat the see the rest of Aincrad.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2015, 09:00:39 am »
SAO is baby's first .hack meets Fate stay night for idiots.

If only they just stopped at the first novel...

Offline Bronzium

• Salutes: 11
    • [HMCS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2015, 10:12:29 am »
I actually consider Log Horizon a good blend of Sword Art Online and .hack//SIGN. It mixes greatly and everything, I just thought that in the 2nd season they slowed down the action wayyyy too much, which is kind of why I eventually just dropped it.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2015, 11:55:23 am »
Haven't watched Log Horizon, but I have seen .hack. 

Speaking of games, No Game No Life?

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2015, 12:07:05 pm »
Haven't watched Log Horizon, but I have seen .hack. 

Speaking of games, No Game No Life?

My clan's Mantra is "In the land of twilight under the moon, we dance for the idiots."

A direct reference to .hack awesome sound track.

No game no life is the classic genre-smartest guy in the room. However I don't like how this series handles it where obvious rules have been established but then they add some stupid deus ex machina cheat to win every single time. Pretty art though. And "smart" if you don't think too much about it.

I mean in the many scenarios I would have written moves that were within the rules that were established, and I'm just kinda disappointed that it's not by the rules. Oh look a game of chess! Nope... lets add extra rules that completely ignores the rules of chess, making the whole chess aesthetic inconsequential. And through these rules lets bullshit a deus ex machina all the way into victory.

bugger everything! A new season of durarra!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:32:08 pm by Ceresbane »