Author Topic: Anime Discussions?  (Read 140786 times)

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
Anime Discussions?
« on: May 20, 2014, 04:18:01 pm »
Any weeaboos here in GoIO? Here's some stuff about me, feel free to copy paste this as a template or add more questions!

First anime: Dragonball Z (aired on tv for me when I had never heard of anime as a kid!)
Favourite anime of all time: Oban Star Racers
Favourite anime this season: Brynhildr in the Darkness/Black Bullet/No Game No Life.. Please don't make me choose, was hard enough narrowing it down to this!
Favourite anime last season: Log Horizon, hands down (2nd place would be a tough call though!)
Anime you secretly enjoy(ed): Recently, my sister is unusual
Most hated antagonist: The as of yet unnamed guy (I believe) from Gokukoku No Brynhildr (Brynhildr in the Darkness) I really want to know his name so I can put him in the Death Note book...
Most loved protagonist: Shiro (Log Horizon) is the Sherlock of anime.. always 50 steps ahead, but not ridiculously intelligent/ahead of everyone as Shiro/Sora from No Game No Life!
Favourite relationship: KiritoXAsuna :O SO KAWAII!
Waifu: Chocolat from NOUCOMe
Over-rated anime: Naruto
Under-rated anime: Bodacious Space Pirates needs way more love!
Personal anime fact: I have watched every episode of Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT and the abridged series.. still have to watch the movies for completeness but I don't want to kill myself from how bad they are..

Interested to see the opinions of others! Took me a while to think all of those through and decide!

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: Anime Discussions?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:36:29 pm »
-Love Hina
-Gun Sword / Sword Art Online
-Issukan Friends / Tonari no Seki-kun
-Log Horizon
-So-ra-no-wo-to
-Heathcliff, SAO
-Van, Gun Sword
-Kirito x Sachi, CAUSE SHE LIVES DAMMIT!!
-Taneshima Poplar, Working!!
-Evangelion
-Gun Sword
-I've logged more hours watching anime since 07 than most people have their entire lives. To the point now I can tell a good show from a bad show by the first episode or two. Also how the show will likely end and who the lead romantic interest will be. Genres I didn't originally like, I now find interest in. But what many people see as the pillars of anime and as the greatest shows of all time, I cannot stand. EVA and Code Geass. Shows which butcher character development or run around in circles of psychosis and never get anywhere. Then my recent most hated genre being all female cast animes. Space Pirates, Symphogear...etc. For the last couple of years Japan has been doing a summer of anime with only female actors. The shows end up being horrifically predictable and rampant kawaii fests to rake in money. These ruined the Last Exile sequel and turned shows from good potential into moronic story like Space Pirates.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:21:00 pm »
First anime: Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, but didn't get into anime until FLCL

Favourite anime of all time: Steins;Gate

Favourite anime this season: Haven't been able to watch any this season yet, but I have No Game No Life and Mekakucity Actors on my list to watch

Favourite anime last season: Noragami

Anime you secretly enjoy(ed): The Hentai Price and the Stony Cat

Most hated character (changed this one up): Everyone from Oriemo, but especially Kirino.

Most loved protagonist: Probably too many to choose from, but for right now Rintaro Okabe because deluded self-proclaimed mad scientist is too good to pass up.

Favourite relationship: Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjougahara (Monogatari series)

Waifu: I don't... I don't do that creepy waifu stuff.

Over-rated anime: Death Note, because the 2nd half sucked, and the ending just heaped the shit on.

Under-rated anime: There's about a million that I could list here... I dunno, Noein probably?

Personal anime fact: I've been to several anime conventions and once dabbled in making AMVs. My anime watching has slowed a lot in the past few years due to taking up streaming on a more regular basis, but for several years there I watched a plethora them. Even did some reviews for a couple of different anime websites.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 11:19:27 am »
-Love Hina
-Gun Sword / Sword Art Online
-Issukan Friends / Tonari no Seki-kun
-Log Horizon
-So-ra-no-wo-to
-Heathcliff, SAO
-Van, Gun Sword
-Kirito x Sachi, CAUSE SHE LIVES DAMMIT!!
-Taneshima Poplar, Working!!
-Evangelion
-Gun Sword
-I've logged more hours watching anime since 07 than most people have their entire lives. To the point now I can tell a good show from a bad show by the first episode or two. Also how the show will likely end and who the lead romantic interest will be. Genres I didn't originally like, I now find interest in. But what many people see as the pillars of anime and as the greatest shows of all time, I cannot stand. EVA and Code Geass. Shows which butcher character development or run around in circles of psychosis and never get anywhere. Then my recent most hated genre being all female cast animes. Space Pirates, Symphogear...etc. For the last couple of years Japan has been doing a summer of anime with only female actors. The shows end up being horrifically predictable and rampant kawaii fests to rake in money. These ruined the Last Exile sequel and turned shows from good potential into moronic story like Space Pirates.

Sword art was a damn good anime.. and I'm pumped for Phantom Bullet after reading the novel! I look forward to Seki-kun every week, I didn't really like Heathcliff.. I would of liked him more had they have hinted at him being the bad guy as opposed to "SUDDENLY HE IS THE CREATOR!". WHY MUST YOU REMIND ME OF SACHI! I've been looking to watch Evangelion, is it not good at all or just worse than everyone says? Also I cannot resist the kawaii :(

First anime: Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, but didn't get into anime until FLCL

Favourite anime of all time: Steins;Gate

Favourite anime this season: Haven't been able to watch any this season yet, but I have No Game No Life and Mekakucity Actors on my list to watch

Favourite anime last season: Noragami

Anime you secretly enjoy(ed): The Hentai Price and the Stony Cat

Most hated character (changed this one up): Everyone from Oriemo, but especially Kirino.

Most loved protagonist: Probably too many to choose from, but for right now Rintaro Okabe because deluded self-proclaimed mad scientist is too good to pass up.

Favourite relationship: Koyomi Araragi and Hitagi Senjougahara (Monogatari series)

Waifu: I don't... I don't do that creepy waifu stuff.

Over-rated anime: Death Note, because the 2nd half sucked, and the ending just heaped the shit on.

Under-rated anime: There's about a million that I could list here... I dunno, Noein probably?

Personal anime fact: I've been to several anime conventions and once dabbled in making AMVs. My anime watching has slowed a lot in the past few years due to taking up streaming on a more regular basis, but for several years there I watched a plethora them. Even did some reviews for a couple of different anime websites.

Everything this season is good and very unique/original.. so far everything I've seen except Dragon Collection and HEROBANK are must watch series', Dragon Collection is okay but HEROBANK is shockingly bad. I WONDER what is included in The Hentai Price and the Stony Cat. Koyomi sounds like a really cool character from your description, might give it a watch! WAIFUS ARE NOT CREEPY! ^^ And that's pretty cool, any favourite AMV's?

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:32:49 am »
Everything this season is good and very unique/original.. so far everything I've seen except Dragon Collection and HEROBANK are must watch series', Dragon Collection is okay but HEROBANK is shockingly bad. I WONDER what is included in The Hentai Price and the Stony Cat. Koyomi sounds like a really cool character from your description, might give it a watch! WAIFUS ARE NOT CREEPY! ^^ And that's pretty cool, any favourite AMV's?
I ended up liking Hentai Prince/Stony Cat because on the surface it was a fluff anime, especially for the first half or so, pretty stereotypical characters and just a thread of a story to go by, and then suddenly the story took this incredibly poignant turn that I did not see coming... kinda like the first season of Chuunibyou in that respect.

Errr... I didn't really give Koyomi Araragi a description (but you should watch Bakemonogatari and the rest of that series anyways). I did give Okabe a description, that's from Steins;Gate, which I automatically recommend to everyone.

I personally find the concept of waifus creepy because most anime girls are quite underaged... I suppose it's one thing if you're still young but at my age? Yeah, not so much.

As for AMVs, pretty much anything by Nostromoro... in specific https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMiuN8ULd_c or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhMmgt9xh6U
And just for silliness, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZMh_nBSn-0
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:44:43 am by Imagine »

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 01:21:33 pm »
I ended up liking Hentai Prince/Stony Cat because on the surface it was a fluff anime, especially for the first half or so, pretty stereotypical characters and just a thread of a story to go by, and then suddenly the story took this incredibly poignant turn that I did not see coming... kinda like the first season of Chuunibyou in that respect.

Errr... I didn't really give Koyomi Araragi a description (but you should watch Bakemonogatari and the rest of that series anyways). I did give Okabe a description, that's from Steins;Gate, which I automatically recommend to everyone.

I personally find the concept of waifus creepy because most anime girls are quite underaged... I suppose it's one thing if you're still young but at my age? Yeah, not so much.

As for AMVs, pretty much anything by Nostromoro... in specific https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMiuN8ULd_c or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhMmgt9xh6U
And just for silliness, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZMh_nBSn-0

I meant Okabe, my bad, I read the wrong line I guess!
I never really looked at waifus like that.. and if they are under-age and you're aged 25 or something I can see that being creepy!
Also.. I now have some new songs for my playlist! =D

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 08:21:15 pm »

Sword art was a damn good anime.. and I'm pumped for Phantom Bullet after reading the novel! I look forward to Seki-kun every week, I didn't really like Heathcliff.. I would of liked him more had they have hinted at him being the bad guy as opposed to "SUDDENLY HE IS THE CREATOR!". WHY MUST YOU REMIND ME OF SACHI! I've been looking to watch Evangelion, is it not good at all or just worse than everyone says? Also I cannot resist the kawaii :(

Surette recently asked me my opinion of Evangelion (he's watching Eureka Seven now),  so I'll copy that over:

I'd say you should definitely watch it eventually, but it's not something to kick to the top of the list. It's one of those classic anime that influenced so much that came after. Especially in the dub Shinji manages to be even whinier than Renton. His voice is slightly less annoying in japanese,but he's still a huge bitch. It's a much darker feel overall than E7. A lot of the imagery is really cool and the battles are pretty uniquely done and visually interesting. The characters are so unbelievably fucked up it's interesting, and there's always some mysterious background stuff going on that keeps you wanting to know more about the world and piece it all together. The ending(s) is/are really weird and kind of unfulfilling, so I just kind of ignore them.   

Both Eva and E7 are heavily character focused, but Eva takes more of a "ways we damn ourselves and how we deal with our psychological baggage" while E7 is more of a hopeful redemptionist theme. You can even see this in the shows' palates. E7 is all bright colors and pink explosions while eva is dark purples, blood reds and black. They have completely different feels.

Eva can get painfully awkward at times because Shinji is such a bitch and the creators felt the need to put random fan service in for no good reason, but you get through those bits to get to the good parts.

He just recently got into anime by watching SAO with me, and I've been taking him on an overview of anime since then. Unlike most, I prefer dubs, so some of the above may not be applicable. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:22:47 pm by DMaximus »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:04:03 am »
Ok heres the deal with EVA. Imagine the protagonist of E7, which is made by the same guys who did EVA, being a whiny little brat from beginning to end and never learning anything, instead of being the whiny brat through 2/3rd of the anime before learning. Everyone in the series is just insane and they had to recut the ending multiple times because no one could figure it out. The original ending had cryptic images and text with voices going for 24 mins...nothing else. They redid it, actually animated the ending...it then still left people going "wtf?"

Some folks love it for all of that. They love that everyone is nuts and insane and never learn anything (Brick). I personally refuse to sit through it again. If I did, I'd probably shoot the TV aiming at the protagonist cause hes so infuriating. Now...the remake series is better. I saw, I think the first part of it, but they released it so far between that I just didn't keep up with it to see if it worked out in the end.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 06:30:20 am »
First anime: It would be either Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Great Teacher Onizuka or Hotaru no Haka, sadly I don't reach that far with my memory, but those are 4 main anime I've seen when I was a little kid.
Favourite anime of all time: That would be Death Note all the way.
Anime you secretly enjoy(ed): Can't say I watched any anime I'm seriously ashamed of, apart of the fact that I really don't like ecchi genre, yet have 2 friends that constantly advise me to watch certain ecchi titles, and I do... not COMPLETELY forced ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Over-rated anime: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Personal anime fact: I currently have 188 different anime on my list, with around 70 of them watched, and I rewatch all of them to refresh my memory, also adding the rest as new positions. The list keeps expanding, as well.

For the last few days I asked myself if I should post in this thread. Mostly because I had to cut off some questions that I have no way of answering, thus providing little to no information about my anime history, and having drastically different opinion about anime in the first place(I feel like I don't belong here ._.). Yet I did, basically just to ensure there's someone else watching anime on this forum :P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:33:21 am by Deltajugg »

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 06:50:59 am »
I have a problem. I watched death note and code geass first, since then nothing have been close in my opinion.

I only watched things like cowboy bebop, paranoia agent and baccano! that I found somehow enjoyable.

I think its a problem with me losing interest if there are too much non-plot related bullshit going on. In code geass the random episodes of teenage problems I sat through painfully because it had clawed me in with the first episodes.

currently gonna give attack on titan a chance.

Offline Deltajugg

• Salutes: 16
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 07:01:12 am »

Do give it a chance. I also have a really tough expectations from anime, but Shingeki No Kyojin definitely is worthwhile for me, hopefully it will be for you.

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 11:12:29 am »

Day 1: "Gonna give it a chance"
Giving it a chance: "Cool theme" "wow I like these characters" "this world is pretty cool" "I hope they expand the story about him and his mother" "OH MY GOD WHY DID THEY DO THAT *SOBS*" "EPISODE 2! NOW!" "Seid ihr das Essen? Nein, wir sind der Jager!!"

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 11:14:18 am »
I'd probably shoot the TV aiming at the protagonist cause hes so infuriating. Now...the remake series is better. I saw, I think the first part of it, but they released it so far between that I just didn't keep up with it to see if it worked out in the end.
I see what you did there..
I currently have 188 different anime on my list, with around 70 of them watched, and I rewatch all of them to refresh my memory, also adding the rest as new positions. The list keeps expanding, as well.
Weaaboo level >9000

Offline Shikiso

• Salutes: 0
    • [sued]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »
Got introduced to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure about 6 months ago and goddamn, it's taken over my entire anime and manga tastes. It's up there with my favorites: Cowboy Bebop, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Watamote, Fist of the North Star...

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 02:54:02 pm »
Short animes are the best. They stick to the point and avoid the draging out and filler that plagues some longer running animes *coughnarutoonepiececough*

Steins;Gate and Soul Eater are probably my favorite animes. I would recommend Steins;Gate to anyone for sure. The characters are strange but it is amazing. Soul Eater is just pretty awesome in general.

I pretty consistently keep up with Naruto, especially now that things are finally coming to a head.

I took a Summer and watched all of every Dragonball series since I didn't have cable growing up so I sort of missed out on that.

Various other animes I've watched, but none really made an impression on me (though Deathnote was pretty good).