Author Topic: Ship Tier List  (Read 59840 times)

Offline Dilwo

• Salutes: 0
    • [RKIT]
    • View Profile
Ship Tier List
« on: August 18, 2013, 01:08:15 am »
God Tier : Pyramidion

Tier 1 : Junker, Galleon

Tier 1 and a half : Goldfish

Tier 2 : Mobula

Tier useless : Squid, Spire

Discuss.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Tier List
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:19:50 am »
I've played on kickass spires and squids can be a pain. It really depends on how you use the vessel that determines its effectiveness, for instance I can roundabout a pyramidion in a Junker all day. A mobula can put a lot of fire down range and is more of a support vessel in my opinion, a spire is a long range sniper platform and with the right weapons and a proper crew it can deal a lot of damage. A squid is more of a harassing vessel, lighting a vessel on fire and then running away, allowing a friendly vessel to disengage or finish the job. A galleon is your typical tank and I really don't know how to describe it really.

Offline Dilwo

• [RKIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 01:30:10 am »
This is true, however this game might as well be called Guns of Pyramidions right now. In any given game there will always be at least 2 pyramidions. Everything else is either galleon/goldfish if we're talking competitive.

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:38:23 am »
What I've yet to understand is how you grouped these together.

Everything else is either galleon/goldfish if we're talking competitive.

I actually don't see Galleons that often, they are more of a rare occurrence in my time playing.

In any given game there will always be at least 2 pyramidions

That's true on average, however I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Offline Dilwo

• [RKIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:45:55 am »
It has to do with the fact that if the ship is on average being played twice as much as any other ship in the game, there might be some problems, as it is much too strong.

Also I do agree on the galleon, however I feel it is still really strong. Most people just play junker or golfish if it's not a pyramidion.

Edit : Sorry, super tired ;P Spelled ship as game.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:56:19 am by Dilwo »

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:53:16 am »
We've had conversations about the pyra https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2028.0.html I recommend reading this if you haven't already.

Offline Dilwo

• [RKIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:56:43 am »
I actually haven't. Thanks for the link.

My main problem after reading the entire thread.

All any lower level player will see is pyramidions, no matter their skill level. It's just annoying seeing nothing but pyramidions EVERY game. I haven't seen a spire in at least 30 games.
This needs to be changed for the general enjoyment of ALL players. Nothing is good in too large of amounts. Sort of like getting a pyramidion cavity, I'm starting to get bored of the game simply because I see nothing but pyramidions, and occasionally a goldfish and junker here and there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:13:57 am by Dilwo »

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 02:27:34 am »
We can't balance the game around the newest/lowest levels players' experiences though.

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 02:33:23 am »
The thing about it is that you can't force someone to use a different ship if they don't want to, the only real suggestion I would have would be to join higher level lobbies and see how that goes for you, mind you even there people fly pyra's but yeah. The thing about the pyra, and you've probably noticed this, is that it is easy to engineer on, therefore making it slightly more durable, and yes while it turns like a barge, it is still a fairly effective vessel, mainly because it is a vessel that focuses on it's frontal armaments, effectivly making it a "Point in general direction shoot." Fact of the matter is if someone wants to use x vessel then by all means they can use x vessel, doesn't mean it'll work for them.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 02:42:19 am »
The thing about it is that you can't force someone to use a different ship if they don't want to, the only real suggestion I would have would be to join higher level lobbies and see how that goes for you, mind you even there people fly pyra's but yeah. The thing about the pyra, and you've probably noticed this, is that it is easy to engineer on, therefore making it slightly more durable, and yes while it turns like a barge, it is still a fairly effective vessel, mainly because it is a vessel that focuses on it's frontal armaments, effectivly making it a "Point in general direction shoot." Fact of the matter is if someone wants to use x vessel then by all means they can use x vessel, doesn't mean it'll work for them.

You also forgot that when something terrible happens...like...say a carronade flamer squid staying in that Pyramidion's blind spot and effectively taking out their balloon and hull...and setting everything else on fire...I'll just stop there.

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 02:43:57 am »

You also forgot that when something terrible happens...like...say a carronade flamer squid staying in that Pyramidion's blind spot and effectively taking out their balloon and hull...and setting everything else on fire...I'll just stop there.

Yeah that is painful, more so on a galleon.

Offline Letus

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 02:47:23 am »

Yeah that is painful, more so on a galleon.

Basically, there is no useless ship...
just people who aren't doing something right....once someone learns how to fly all ships, they tend to learn offhand how they work...and since most newbies seem to put all their time into a Pyramidion, they're going to fly their Squid or Spire like one...

I wouldn't have known how to fly any of my ships without hours of being on other people's....

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 02:54:04 am »
Which is why most of us recommend doing the other two roles before switching to being captain.

Offline Letus

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 03:04:06 am »

Mobula is too soon to call as this ship is still finding its niche in the game

Granted it's early, but I'd say it's more of a support.  It can be a rather effective disabling ship, with enough to defend itself, but it's high fragility means that it will be nothing without teamwork, much like with a Squid, or Flak, or even Spire.  With the fact that all the guns practically point forward, it's basically a sitting duck as, just like a Spire, its insane firepower means it cannot fly circles around you, but rather point and turn.

(I forgot whose Mobula I was on, but we did get 12 kills in Desert Scrap, post 1.3.1 Merc Fix...and we only died twice...)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 09:33:58 am »
If you're bored of the Pyramidion, leave the beginner's matches and start playing in some higher-level ones. You'll find that the Pyra doesn't dominate quite so much.