Author Topic: Which maps would you want gone?  (Read 27914 times)

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Which maps would you want gone?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 01:32:32 pm »
People don't like Labyrinth? Really? I think it's one of the more fun 2v2 maps, both in goal and environment. Flying through dark ruins of a post apocalyptic city is awesome.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 01:51:13 pm »
I love a good dunes match when I am out playing pub games, but cogs are supposed to be high level play. There are more opportunities for captains to show off their piloting prowess in cluttered maps than in dunes.

Offline Frogger

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 02:18:18 pm »
As Smollett knows, I personally love dunes - you can just as easily show off your piloting prowess in Dunes than on the other maps, albeit in a different way. I find most of the good "dogfights" I have are in open areas, and Dunes of course is the open area par excellence.

Labyrinth is definitely the one I would get rid of. Cogs is otherwise a DM event, and CP maps can get tedious and frustrating watching the entrenched team stomp whoever was too slow to get to the point first.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 02:40:34 pm »
I don't hate Labyrinth, but it does feel weird having one CP map when the rest are DMs. I wouldn't have a problem with it if we had more 2v2 CPs.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 06:54:58 pm »
Just curious, why do some people not like Duel at Dawn?

I just hate it because most of the times we participate, we have to fly on it. Get tired of it. I don't like tiny maps anyways. Too often on Duel you get a kill and then in moments you have that kill right back on you before you can get the 2nd kill. Heck we beat teams by doing just this. Lame imo.

Guess I should hate paritan cause of our record on it but I can't hate it when its not really my doing which led to it. I fly it a lot and fly it totally differently than I have in events. But I do think Muse needs to fix the velco issue.

Labyrinth imo should be a bit faster in play. Quick caps, quick attacks. Actually any 2v2 CP should be much faster on cap rates/etc. The point gathering should stay the same rate but just quicker capping would speed up things and make defending even more important and tense.

Dunes is not a showcase of pilot skills when 90% of the battles on it are long range snipefests.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »
I would replace Labyrinth with Raid on the Refinery. KOTH means capping is almost impossible, while crazy king is okay enough.

If somehow turnarounds were easier in Labyrinth and if a team was holding the point constantly we wouldn't have to wait forever.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:48:12 pm by Keon »

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »
Dual at Dawn along with Canyon Ambush.

Duel at Dawn is such a small map which really feels weong in this game.

Canyon Ambush doesn't feel even. One side just watches for the enemy to leave canyons while the other team must start the fight from a tight spot. Not many places to go. (If people play fair and meet around te middle.)

King of the hill also doesn't really belong with it's current machancs in my opinion. You only need one ship blocking te point and that ship doesn't even have to fight.

Offline Cid Ferringer

• Salutes: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 09:19:15 am »
I really dislike Duel because you can get stuck in some weird places near the edge of the map, due to all the collidable objects.. If the map size would be enlarged slightly, It would be great..
I love Dunes because it's so simple, open and focuses on pure combat..

But why remove maps when you can add maps.
Because I'd love to see a 4v4 Waterhazard.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 12:18:49 pm »
Duel really only has one spot that's really bad on the northeast.

A long time ago people tried to appeal to get it fixed but it was never a priority and I think we all got used to avoiding it and forgot about it.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 08:02:22 pm »
Paritan for me, purely because it takes forever for the map to load and the games well under way.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 03:46:04 am »
My that metric, I would want Labyrinth gone. My main engineer always struggle to load that one. I  get faced with the dilemma of whether to get their quickly and risk being in combat with no Engineer.

However, I don't know if that is the best reason to take a map out.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 05:57:20 am »
Well labyrinth and paritan should both go. There should be no reason for a capture point map in a tournament, lag aside.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 09:20:50 am »
Sure, lets cut out the only map that forces different thought into loadouts and gameplay. That'll be swell.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 11:32:15 am »
There is more too it than that Zill. I know that map is slow to load for a lot of people, not just me. So there is a good chance that most teams will have some issues in the beginning. That means that the team with the least issues will get to the point first, capture it, and win. Because that's the second issue; any coordinated team is going to make king of the hill dam near impossible. That map is too small, with too long a capture time. All you need is a tanky junker and a squid to hold the point indefinitely. There is no nuance, no death match type strategy, get to the point faster in the beginning, then hold it with a junker and rush to block if you die. People talk about watching sniping being boring? I think anyone would rather watch sniping than a tedious king of the hill game.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 11:47:14 am »
Not sure why this map gives you so many issues, but it's a rather lousy assumption to say everyone has the issues you do with it in terms of performance. It runs for me just fine, and any map in Guns has the potential to give problems on the hardware front. I'd be open to that argument only for 4v4's currently.

Call me crazy, but rushing the point on a KOTH is pretty standard. Even did it in a galleon to win (Flotsam). With competitive teams, they will get there before anyone caps the point for themselves, so you start with an initial engage to determine who holds first. Then it's up to the loser to coordinate their counter. While I can give you the point that takes a long time to cap once its already been captured, its not impossible if you keep your momentum and don't blindly rush in one at a time.

All of that, while happening over a contested point, is much more entertaining (and less time consuming) then taking pot shots from spawns.