Author Topic: Ship Idea: Raider  (Read 9007 times)

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
Ship Idea: Raider
« on: May 06, 2017, 05:44:34 pm »
SHIP: RAIDER
TYPE: BRAWLER

Manoeuvrability:
similar to the pyrmadon, not exactly agile but has a high top speed. Slightly better turning, top speed, and acceleration but worse vertical manoeuvring.

Durability:
also similar to pyrmadon with decent armour and perma hull

Fire power:
5 light guns total 2 on each side pointed slightly forward to give it better arcs when approaching an enemy ship, and one gun on the back for defence since it isn't very agile.

Unique features:
it has metal plating on the sides of its balloons making them harder to hit when attacking it from the sides but not front or rear.

Advantages:
+ relatively short run distance between guns on the same sides so one gunner can switch between them.
+ it has a gun pointing backwards to help it defend
+ armour protects its balloon

Disadvantages:
- its a bit of a run to switch from port or starboard guns compared to other ships.
- no front gun means its hard for the ship to advance or chase targets.
- poor vertical manoeuvrability make it vulnerable to balloon poppers.

Here is a rough floor plan of how the ship could be laid out

here is a side silhouette to see how the ship could look unique.

Offline Ambiorix

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 0
    • [CHPR]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Idea: Raider
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:33:35 am »
that actually looks pretty cool

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:05:46 am »
It seems... kind of like a reversed Junker.

The new positioning for the guns is nice, and makes it a very nice broadsider, but it honestly looks like an inverted Junker.

Not a bad idea though.

Offline SirNotlag

• [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 12:25:20 pm »
Yeah i came up with the idea ages ago, but after i drew it out out i thought "isnt this just like if the pyra and junker had a baby?". And yeah it is. I feel like it could be a good ship in the game but I also would like to see crazier ideas first before ships that are just inbetweens start showing up.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:28:29 pm by SirNotlag »

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 07:58:39 pm »
I like where your head is at with it, but with the Alliance ships being included (in some ways a mistake, in my opinion) new ships are going to make a massive backseat.

I like your idea behind it, though. I'm having a hard time finding it's niche though... Asides from making it Stormbreaker-esque. Old Stormbreaker, now, as they messed her up with a heavy mount.

Offline SirNotlag

• [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:45:46 pm »
well i actually thought it up way back when i drew up my other ideas like 3 years ago

these one:
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4969.msg82398.html#msg82398
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4968.msg82397.html#msg82397
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4967.msg82396.html#msg82396
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,4966.msg82394.html#msg82394

but I didn't like it then cause it felt like it would not bring anything new. I just got back into the game due to alliance and saw this thing still sitting on my hard drive and thought "well someone may like it." So I saw no harm in throwing it on the forums since it was the only idea i did not bother putting up.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 03:33:02 pm »
I remember reading all of your ship concepts. I liked most of them, some of them I was a little iffy on, however. Just little issues I had with them here or there.

I haven't really made many ship concepts, but weapon concepts I have in spades.

Offline SirNotlag

• [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 06:49:31 pm »
I have made that many weapon concepts there is just so many different things you can do and its very easy to make them overpowered or useless based on stats alone. That is why i did ships I pretty much looked at what they had any went what if we had a ship that could do this or was built like this other one but faster.

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 03:41:13 pm »
The issue with that is that you can innundate the player with way, way too many ships, or else ships that are just kind of gimmicky without being really useful. There are chances for that with anything, just look at the major change that was done to the Stormbreaker for Alliance.

Now, a ship that was built for all lights is being dedicated to having a heavy mount, and I really, really feel like it's going to make it much, much weaker.

Offline SirNotlag

• [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 11:25:47 pm »
I think it would only be an issue if they did start coming out with like a thousand ships. I'm quite happy with all the current alliance ships and 2 more are on the way plus like 3 new weapons. sure they have all their bases covered in the game now but there is still a lot of room for ships that would be like nothing currently in game. I absolutely hate the pyramdon but its the only ship with 2 front facing light guns, I would love it if there was more options, like a fast attack ship with 2 front facing guns as well. 

Having a heavy gun on the storm breaker seems like a good idea to me. It adds that little bit more variety and firepower. Plus the original build with all the light guns in one place could be disarmed with a couple lucky Artemis hits.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:29:12 pm by SirNotlag »

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 12:38:34 pm »
See, I can understand that logic, but the issue with it is that newer players would have almost no idea what to do. Unless you started putting ships behind a level-wall, you'd have players with no idea how to crew certain ships.

If they did institute a level wall for newer ships, in effect giving a *load* more progression for players and increasing the retention and desire to level up, it would certainly open the doors for having quirky, difficult ships.

And I disagree with that logic on the Stormbreaker. Stormbreaker's weapons were perfect, and it's speed and acceleration were more than enough to completely outmaneuver arty fire. The four light guns, thre of which you can get into arc on the same targt, could tear into targets like a rabid dog. One gat, a banshee, and a flak could render most targets moot, and a hades on the front just rounds it out perfectly. Or you could easily use it as a sniper platform, effectively using it like a hyper mobile Mobula. The four lights were perfect. The heavy mount screws with it's initial strength.

They should have planned accordingly if they wanted to give it a heavy mount. They did not. As such, they are ruining a perfectly good and serviceable ship.