Author Topic: Captains to be able to kick players off of ships.  (Read 31097 times)

Offline Rizqo

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Captains to be able to kick players off of ships.
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:44:00 pm »
Hello everyone,

This is just a quick question really, but do you think captains will be able to kick players off there ship while there in and out of game?

This came to mind when a group of us was playing on Guns of Icarus and a player joined are team, they done absolutely nothing to benefit our team so it made us lose the game.
I guess people will agree and disagree with this, but I would like to see this implemented as it does get annoying when a group of trolls just run around your ship messing around, it just ruins the game for everyone really.

Thank you for reading this, please reply soon.

Offline Malarosa Agresti

• Salutes: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Captains to be able to kick players off of ships.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:55:39 pm »
Perhaps, but if such a system was implemented, it would probably need some sort of method of guarding who is allowed to do the kicking.  I'd say having X amount of commendations would probably be the best way.  Proof that you may not be a jerk.

Still though, I'm not sure that it would be a good thing for the game if you could kick people.  It'd probably be way better to communicate why someone is doing something wrong, and ask them to do something else.  Some games you are gonna end up with 3 powder monkeys, but eh, can't win em all.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:18:28 pm »
Hmm, that's a problem since we've first set.. engines and took to the skies. Players not joining with the needed classes can be countered by fixing the class positions, but players who simply aren't doing their job.. well.

You can usually reach everyone aboard the ship by sending them a private message in the chat, even if they don't speak English they'll understand something is wrong once they see a dozen of lines suddenly popping up there.

The only thing I could think of to allow kicking players would be.. not responding. That comes down to being AFK, and players already get replaced by an AI crewmember if they're AFK.

A workaround would be locking ships for friends or for invitation. Meaning, you tick that little "private" (or whatever) button next to your ship, and only people from your friends tab can join.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:37:55 pm »
The fear is that people will start kicking new crewmembers instead of trying to teach them the basics.  The reality is that anyone who wants to be a dick simply takes advantage of the fact that they can act with impunity.  This creates problems because it's very easy for someone that wants to be a dick to use any variety of excuse to avoid trouble, one of the more convenient ones being that they don't speak English (except when they feel like taunting you in English).  And since non-English speakers tend to be silent, it's hard to know that they're not intentionally being douchebags and really just don't know that taking the front gun and not shooting is a bad thing.  It's very hard to gauge someone's intent and so outside moderation is pretty ineffective.

It makes me wonder how Adventure Mode will turn out if the stakes for each battle are raised.  The only reason the game currently can get away with not having any self-moderating tools is because battles themselves are pretty meaningless, stats aren't publicly visible or commonly shared.  If resources or ship upgrades are on the line one person being a dick is going to do a lot more damage than wasting ten minutes of your time.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:57:05 pm »
I too would like a kick option to deal with uncooperative players. Right now I deal with a trolls by leaving the ship and joining the other team. which kinda sucks if I have a good team/crew going.

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:18:00 pm »
We often do the opposite of kicking the player, we kick everyone else.
"Hey I'm making JoeBobs game 2"
If the players like playing with you and know that the current lobby is tainted by bad or afk players they will fallow you.
If you haven't been talking to other players enough to pull this trick whenever you want you should just start talking more.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:44:06 am »
Should be a way to vote people down, not just thumbs up.  That way, if they're impeding game after game, they'll be identified to Muse.  Kicking people will just lead to more problems.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:19:12 am »
I'm very familiar with crew members not following orders but rarely have a problem with it.

Google translate for foreigners.

Explanations for new players.

Inductive reasoning for stubborn people (I need you to do this this way because of xyz)

And outstubborning more stubborn players (if you don't change your loadout/behavior I will turn this ship right around Mr.  I mean it.  We're not going anywhere til you take a mallet and a spanner.  I can wait all day.

I can not remember the last time I wasn't able to solve my problems with these methods but if all else fails, explain to your teammate/s that you've got an impossible troll on your ship.  Surrender the match, and start a new one with whoever would like to join.  If the troll comes back, don't start the match til he leaves. 

I have only had to do this once in my nearly 3,000 games.  Most players will start to listen when you explain to them why you're asking them to do these things.

A kick option is really ripe for exploitation and personally I might be a little to tempted to overuse it myself.  My teammates come into the game and wants to get into my ship, kick the level 1 gunner.  Someone won't change classes, kick the level 1 gunner  Facing a tough opponent and want to win, kick the level 1 gunner.  Feeling cheeky, kick the level 1 gunner. 

Well you see my point is, this will really negatively impact new players.  Instead of teaching people how to play and how to play together, it will create a very negative community that people won't want to be a part of. It will make it clickier than it is now and slow the growth that the game has been having.

The possible negatives just don't justify making it more convenient for vet players who don't want to deal with educating new players or working with other people.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:56:26 am »
I wish I could add something new to this discussion, but Smollet covered all the bases that I'd usually like to hit already.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 05:02:42 am »

You can usually reach everyone aboard the ship by sending them a private message in the chat, even if they don't speak English they'll understand something is wrong once they see a dozen of lines suddenly popping up there.

This is a great idea but it doesn't really happen in reality. I've reported a bunch of kids for their behavior who in turn reported me back. Muse sent me a warning. I sent them a screenshot proving the kids were lying through their teeth. In the end, nothing was really done. They don't have time to investigate nor play judge and jury over everything.

Just had one today. Came on, we were in trouble. Told him over and over to repair the engines to help our engineer who was focusing on hull and balloon. He turns around in plain English, American, and tells me to shut up and not tell him what to do. Then continues to be a jerk. Finally got off after I threatened to report him but the fact is...yeah I can see abuse from a kick system but I'm at the point now where enough is enough. Muse isn't going to do it so it should be in our hands.

If a kick system is implemented with a class fix system for ships then it won't get abused as much as it would without one.

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:28:25 am »
I agree with Gilder. I think that some option to kick a player could be implemented but in a way that's hard to abuse. Like a vote kick that needs more than half of players on the server positive votes to kick somebody. In this situation you need to convince other players that somebody is a pest who doesn't listen to anyone and needs to be kicked. A democratic solution that doesn't involve pestering Muse about a player who doesn't know how to behave.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:43:39 am »
Why would players on a server vote or not vote to kick someone of an opponent's ship?

I still stick with the idea of thumbs-downing someone being an option.  Muse could see if someone is being an ass and trying to 'report' everyone they come across, or if they are consistently a negative player at a glance.  With the larger number of inputs, it removes the he said, she said that Gilder mentions.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 09:16:09 am »
I would like a kick system but it would probably turn the game into an elitist hellhole.

"Hey this guy isn't very good and I know that other guy is good lets votekick to make our team stronger."

One of the best things about this game is the community and teaching that goes on. I would hate to see that ruined be elitism or people just being too lazy to train a new guy. Private games are easy enough to create and you can get the passwords out easily enough.

I've had a few teammates who just refuse to listen but they are the minority. In adventure mode a more "these guys only" approach makes sense but in skirmish where it's brawl for fun I don't see a need for elitism.

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:23:38 am »
Why would players on a server vote or not vote to kick someone of an opponent's ship?
I said it because it requires convincing other players that there is a jerk on a server that destroys the fun of the game. I think it's also important for opponent's team to have challenging battles .
But ok, maybe You are right it's to much for a whole server to vote but leaving a voting option just to one crew could lead to abuse IMHO. As Smollett said, this could result in kicking players just because a captain (or the rest of the crew) don't like something about one player in their crew (to small level, no microphone, to make room for somebody else etc.).
That's why I think a neutral voice is needed here, like the rest of the team (or whole server). Somebody you have to convince that one player in Your crew is a pest so that he can't be kicked only because of one's captain selfish reasons.

I still stick with the idea of thumbs-downing someone being an option.  Muse could see if someone is being an ass and trying to 'report' everyone they come across, or if they are consistently a negative player at a glance.  With the larger number of inputs, it removes the he said, she said that Gilder mentions.
But again this could result in giving negative commendations to players who are still noobs. Innocent people would get negative commendations because they are not yet experienced in GoI, had just bad day as a gunner, haven't manage to do some orders taken from pilot or just someone doesn't like someone's voice.
It's the same reason why on Facebook you don't have an "don't like" button. You either have many commendations what means you are a good player or few commendation what means you are either a bad player or you just started playing the game (or because commendations is a new feature and you are an experienced player but haven't managed to gain them yet ^^').

I've had a few teammates who just refuse to listen but they are the minority. In adventure mode a more "these guys only" approach makes sense but in skirmish where it's brawl for fun I don't see a need for elitism.
It's an awesome thing that this game has such a great and willing to help community but think about the future. I mean, I hope that GoIO will one day become a popular well known game than just aprovincial, cosy game for a small group of enthusiasts (no offense). If so then we should be ready for an influx of pricks without good manners raised on Counter Strikes, CoDs and BFs (also no offense xD). In this case there should be a way to deal with them.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:07 am »

What would stop people from simply "down-thumbing" for lack of skill, or the fact they just don't like them? Then you get all these false representations of players for reasons other than being a straight troll.