Author Topic: MAPS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2  (Read 35898 times)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
MAPS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:25:18 pm »
Everything about maps in v1.2

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: MAPS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:57:11 pm »
Not really balance, but I think that the Labyrinth would work way better as a DM map. It's filled with spaces that would be amazing for sneaking around, but they're wasted, since the map's gameplay mostly consists of charging towards the centre repeatedly.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:59:34 pm »
Not really balance, but I think that the Labyrinth would work way better as a DM map. It's filled with spaces that would be amazing for sneaking around, but they're wasted, since the map's gameplay mostly consists of charging towards the centre repeatedly.

I'm gonna have to second this... I really wanna see this as a DM :)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 04:50:27 pm »

It's in the works.  The way it is now, I don't think will cater to DM.  I want buildings and very few large open areas.  This is why I waited.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 04:59:31 pm »

It's in the works.  The way it is now, I don't think will cater to DM.  I want buildings and very few large open areas.  This is why I waited.

You sir, are amazing! though that means there will be even more buildings for me to crash into :P

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 05:01:51 pm »

You sir, are amazing! though that means there will be even more buildings for me to crash into :P

I can't wait to see how that turns out. The more tight maps, the better.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 05:22:13 pm »
Would you consider increasing the respawn time on King of the Hill Labyrinth? It takes so little time to cross the map, games often turn into mad dashes to block captures, against which there isn't really a functional tactic that I've seen.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 05:46:07 pm »
Would you consider increasing the respawn time on King of the Hill Labyrinth? It takes so little time to cross the map, games often turn into mad dashes to block captures, against which there isn't really a functional tactic that I've seen.

Right now, I don't have local control of map spawn times.  It's global meaning it will affect all maps.  Maybe I should spawn you in some tights spots :P

I reduced the capture time on Labyrinth to attempt to mitigate this but any messing around with spawn times will require some extra features which we didn't have time to implement.

Point noted though.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 06:10:40 am »
It is worth noting, as already said, it is incredibly hard to dislodge a team from a captured point, I've been in matches where we could do it, but this was more due from a skill gap between the teams rather then any strategy.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 07:29:57 am »
That's why I've never been a fan of KOTH maps. If we learned anything from the cogs it's that everyone likes to camp. The fixes to moving and shooting will help a bit, but it's still advantageous to be on the defensive.

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 08:16:37 am »
i think you should decrease the size of the capture zone to make it harder for people to block it

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 11:28:10 am »
i think you should decrease the size of the capture zone to make it harder for people to block it

Lol, I'll make it so you have to go inside the globe.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 11:34:07 am »

Lol, I'll make it so you have to go inside the globe.

Why does that sound like a terrible idea...

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:15:24 pm »
I love it, we can call it the firestone maneuvere to capture it.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:45:14 pm »
The thing is, if the point is smaller it'll be also harder to cap just because of the difficulty of maneuvering to it... therefore easier to defend.  I don't think it's the right thing to do here.  I might play around with the clouds in the area and decrease the number of static ones.  That should help a bunch.  Furthermore, I don't like using COGS as any kind of benchmark for balance except for identifying fringe cases (which is incredibly useful).  It's competitive play with the best players.  Balancing the game to them is not balance.  There are other people that play as well.  In casual play, I've seen the point flip a bunch of times.

However, as usual I will keep my eye on it.  I have so many eyes!