Author Topic: Hwatcha Nerf  (Read 22617 times)

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
Hwatcha Nerf
« on: February 11, 2016, 04:01:20 pm »
So, a bit of a non-traditional Hwatcha nerf incoming. The Hwatcha's currently problem is ease of use + effectiveness. Like the Flamer before it, it's extremely easy to use, but takes foreplanning and effort to counter, with excellent disable and hull-damage, along with moderate armor-strip, all in one easy-to-aim package.

To balance this out, rather than changing damage values, I'd make it impossible to fire less than a full clip. Often, good players will stagger their fire, turning the gun into a mega-Artemis and allowing precise sniping. Making the gun fire the whole clip (with the same shot spacing as it currently has if you rapid-click to fire) would give the gun a skill-cap to get a full-ship disable, and make the reload time a larger drawback. If it still proved too effective, perhaps a reversion to the spread would be called for, but I'd rather make one tweak at a time.

Thoughts?

Offline Coiler

• Salutes: 10
    • [B&C]
    • View Profile
Re: Hwatcha Nerf
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »
Sounds pretty cool.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:43:09 pm »
That's reasonable and would make sense because multiple rocket launchers (MLRs) were designed to fire all at once. An exception would need to be made for when it's broken while shooting so it won't auto shoot when it's rebuilt

For my first thousand matches I didn't know you could hold down to shoot hwatcha

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:57:24 pm »
Are you trying to tell me, that not shooting all the rockets is effective?

What is the year?
For how long was I asleep?

I mean. Shooting only some of the rockets does so miniscule damage, enemy engineer should be able to counter the damage you've done with little to no effort... Same goes if most of your rockets does not hit the target...

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 08:22:00 pm »
You can easily empty half a clip and destroy the most important part of the enemy ships (i.e. Pyramidion front guns) and just wait for them to be rebuild. Splitting a clip like this to shoot two enemy ships that happen to be close to each other is also a possibility and very effective.

It is also viable when shooting from unprofitable angles, for example, your Goldfish comes in from behind the Pyramidion, a few rockets are enough to knock out the engines while the Goldfish continues to move forward next to the Pyramidion, turns and shoots its front guns with the rest of the clip.

Shooting burst was the most effective when Heavy Clip wasn't nerfed yet, because long-ranging without missing a single missle while holding down the lion-gun-op button was nearly impossible, while shooting in bursts made it easier to aim.

I mean. Shooting only some of the rockets does so miniscule damage, enemy engineer should be able to counter the damage you've done with little to no effort...
The Hwacha, like most guns in the game, does more damage than necessary per clip. Most ship's die really easily to the Hwacha, simply because all components die very quickly, leaving most of the projectile to go into the armor and eventually into the hull.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 10:17:38 pm »
Nobody is saying this is the best solution, but it's a viable solution that wouldn't break anything. It might be unpopular but it would increase the skill level of the hwatcha

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 11:54:19 pm »
I agree 100%

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 01:11:21 am »
The more I think about it the more I realize this is my favorite hwatcha balance. It makes sense because light MRLs are designed to unload automatically
https://youtu.be/9P3g8N_u7c8

Email feedback@musegames.com please
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:19:42 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 01:48:31 am »
Time to make it email-pretty.

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 03:11:19 am »
For my first thousand matches I didn't know you could hold down to shoot hwatcha

I didn't know you could hold down to shoot hwatcha
hold down to shoot hwatcha
hold down
shoot hwatcha

I have seriously learned something today.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 05:05:07 am »
Are you trying to tell me, that not shooting all the rockets is effective?

What is the year?
For how long was I asleep?

I mean. Shooting only some of the rockets does so miniscule damage, enemy engineer should be able to counter the damage you've done with little to no effort... Same goes if most of your rockets does not hit the target...

It's possible to disable 2 ships with half a clip of burst on each.
lion gun op hahaha

The more I think about it the more I realize this is my favorite hwatcha balance. It makes sense because light MRLs are designed to unload automatically
https://youtu.be/9P3g8N_u7c8

Email feedback@musegames.com please

lion gun op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7xyJOQ0pac
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:21:28 am by GeoRmr »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 11:30:37 am »
I'd agree to this nerf IF lochnager only works for one rocket and cancels the rest. Or if it stays forcing the gun to having 1 rocket.

It MUST NOT be changed to where 1 shot=several rockets ammo-wise.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 11:46:41 am »
It wouldn't. The gun would still have 20 shots but it would unload automatically

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 02:51:56 pm »

I didn't know you could hold down to shoot hwatcha
hold down to shoot hwatcha
hold down
shoot hwatcha

I have seriously learned something today.

No shit. I seriously just learned this for the first time this week, after years of skillfully and purposely staggering my shots to make sure I was aiming as carefully as possible. My mouse will thank me for saving some clicks now.

Offline Brewstone

• Salutes: 1
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 05:13:04 pm »
Overall a solid idea, but a couple of questions:

1. What happens if I get off the gun? Can I get off? Am I stuck there until it's over?

2. What happens if the gun is destroyed mid volley? When it's repaired, does it resume firing? Only when it is once more manned?

If it stops firing when you get off, it can still be used to split fire, just much more difficult. If it doesn't stop firing when you get off, then you can have 1 gunner firing multiple heavy guns at once, just with little to no aiming.