Author Topic: Sound Design of Icarus  (Read 13128 times)

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
Sound Design of Icarus
« on: September 13, 2015, 05:40:18 pm »
So me and Keb had been discussing the immersion of the game and sound design - something I am super into - and we began talking over how every single ship sounds the same despite the enormous differences in their structure. Whilst, yes, the ships use the same models for their engines for the most part, I feel that it'd just give each one a bit more personality if they had a unique aspect to their design.

A galleon sporting a huge, rumbling behemoth of a sound, letting the crew know that they are flying a monster that can devour lesser ships. This is the capitol ship in your skirmish; make it tell everyone that fact.

A squid, with the quad light engines, sound more akin to a four-stroke motorbike, with obviously a bit more beef added, to embody that fast, agile and probably extremely annoying mosquito.

A junker, with engines that backfire and sound tinny and broken, a surefire way to hammer home what it is; flying trash. Plus, the ship's slow as molasses so it'd work well.

The mobula should be quieter, with a smooth, pretty sound to its engines. Remember, the ship was built for a princess!

To top it off, sound would play a larger part in the game. Maps with poor visibility can have you listening out for engines. With this, you'd not just sniff out a nondescript threat by hearing it first, you'd actually know which ship might be about to jump your bones.

Whilst I doubt it would ever be implemented, I thought it'd be a fun discussion to have. Also, add any other additions to sound design you think might add to the immersion of what is already an immersive game.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: Sound Design of Icarus
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 05:54:55 pm »
One of so many things that would be great and improve this game, but once you look into the dev team, requests like these are just too demanding.

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:04:43 pm »
One of so many things that would be great and improve this game, but once you look into the dev team, requests like these are just too demanding.
I agree, but I still think it'd be a fun discussion nonetheless. Who knows, the feedback might influence future Muse projects.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 09:31:29 pm »
If we can provide the sounds...

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 04:59:54 am »
Put mic to butt
???
profit!
also ruined mic as the air around it tastes like butt.

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 09:11:20 am »
Put mic to butt
???
profit!
Welp, we know how the Junker's going to sound! I suppose Koali has a point, but truthfully, even if all the work was done by the community, to a high standard, and given to Muse as a sign of goodwill, I sincerely doubt they'd even give it a second look.

Another issue I have is the sound that triggers every time you mount a gun. It's the same for the hwacha as it is for the flare. Surely unique sounds as each gun arms would again up the immersion. Right now, it doesn't feel like I'm mounting a turret with unique properties. It feels like I've activated the shooting part of the game.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:16 am »
Put mic to butt
???
profit!
Welp, we know how the Junker's going to sound! I suppose Koali has a point, but truthfully, even if all the work was done by the community, to a high standard, and given to Muse as a sign of goodwill, I sincerely doubt they'd even give it a second look.

Another issue I have is the sound that triggers every time you mount a gun. It's the same for the hwacha as it is for the flare. Surely unique sounds as each gun arms would again up the immersion. Right now, it doesn't feel like I'm mounting a turret with unique properties. It feels like I've activated the shooting part of the game.

you know there are all sorts of engine sounds that are available for free.

we just need someone with no life to cycle through all bazzillion samples.

Offline Newbluud

• [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 11:19:17 am »
Put mic to butt
???
profit!

you know there are all sorts of engine sounds that are available for free.

we just need someone with no life to cycle through all bazzillion samples.
Surely it wouldn't be too hard to use some audio trickery to make the sound of a v12 engine seem more titanic?

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 02:03:32 pm »
also note adding sound files adds files that the game must load.

increased load time kinda sucks.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 01:24:52 pm »
Well, they can go first-Pokemon-games style and just change the pitch or speed of the audio so they sound 'a bit' different. Also it could be done in almost no time.

Offline ADMIRAL ANGRY

• Salutes: 2
    • [BCK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 02:36:03 pm »
AGREED . better sound would make the battles so much more intense!. bullets whizzing!!!!! more  explosions!!! creaking ships! realistic sounding engines . every game has that same rumbling noise the whole match.

Offline Aptitudeland

• Salutes: 1
    • [FtSk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 04:49:31 pm »
Hi  guys,

I recently bought the game, and I love it !
I am a sound technician/ sound designer for some years now and, like you, I suffer from poor sound design and moreover poor implementation in many indy games.

For exemple, what shocked me is how ships engines audio is triggeredt in the game : sample is trigger as soon as you turn or press forward, while the engines should accelerate progressively and decelerate the same way when you stop using them. There are some easy way to do it.
There is so much that could be done, in a way that sound should be more of a game play element. As you said  there should be a way to go stealth and try to hear the other ships engines coming.

ANYWAY as i know a lot about audio implementation  I WOULD ACTUALLY  LOVE TO HELP  !

If you guys know any of the developers of this game, put me in touch ! I know sound design and implementation and am willing to work for free on this project!

JB.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 07:51:16 pm »
If you guys know any of the developers of this game, put me in touch ! I know sound design and implementation and am willing to work for free on this project!

That SOUNDS great... hahahahaha!

...get it?

Email feedback@musegames.com and offer them your services. Hopefully they accept! :)

Offline Aptitudeland

• Salutes: 1
    • [FtSk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 07:36:56 am »

That SOUNDS great... hahahahaha!

...get it?

Email feedback@musegames.com and offer them your services. Hopefully they accept! :)

Great ! Thanks !

I should first prepare an integration models for engines/ships and maybe some environment integration too. Otherwise they won't take me (unknown stranger) seriously. Because it would actually still require some undefined working time for them. (hopefully not so much)

Maybe i'll show you guys first in order to get some support ! Could be nice too have some guys backing.

JB.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 11:00:54 am »
AGREED . better sound would make the battles so much more intense!. bullets whizzing!!!!! more  explosions!!! creaking ships! realistic sounding engines . every game has that same rumbling noise the whole match.

you know... more noise for the noobs to struggle to hear us.

this is likely low in their priority list seeing as they've recently added dumb crap like that. that being said the fact that they did patch in new sounds in the first place as opposed to fixing some long standing bugs....

I don't even know wtf muse's priorities are. I can only assume they have their priorities straight in order of GETTING A STABLE AND BALANCED GAME FIRST BEFORE RETARDED AESTHETICS THAT WILL BE CHANGED OUT ANYWAY AS THE GAME CONTINUES TO BE DEVELOPED.