Author Topic: Guns Of Icarus: Steaming Fury (Game Suggestion)  (Read 11422 times)

Offline PixleTurtle

• Salutes: 6
    • View Profile
Guns Of Icarus: Steaming Fury (Game Suggestion)
« on: August 31, 2015, 06:39:47 am »
inb4 "Go back to CoD/PS2"
inb4 "This is a bad idea, GoI is amazing already etc"

Heya!
After seeing some fan art shared on the GoI facebook page I sorta felt like the GoI should maybe have a FPS some day in the future.
Perhaps in the style of Planetside 2 (though I doubt it, since muse is a indie team and probably wouldn't be able to constantly run huge, powerful servers 22/7 all around the world)  Shame I can't draw...

Weapons and ammunition
Gas
Rather than your ol' bullet based weapons, maybe give them the steampunk touch and make most of them steam/pneumatic based.
For example, each class is to be customized cosmetically and equipment. Each class can carry different amounts of high pressure air canisters of different sizes which last x amount of shots. These can be told by a pressure meter on weapons. Having large canisters slows down your running speed or reduces stamina, but allows you to fire more rounds before you have to replace it, and the more you carry the heavier you are. Smaller ones don't reduce your stamina too hard even when you carry a heap but the down side is that you have to constantly replace them. Normal sized ones reduce your stamina a little per canister.

Weapons
Steam Carbines: Pneumatic rifles which are magazine or drum fed. Practically a normal rifle, but customizable to fit most situations.

Carronade: Pneumatic fed and pump powered multiple round firing shotgun thingy. Wastes a lot of psi.

Musket: Front fed and pneumatic powered slug firing shot gun thing. Longer but not much different to the Scatter Gun, great for those weird guys who like using slugs.

Sniper Rifle: A long bolt action rifle armed with a hunting scope, ready to kill anything far away. Use significant amounts of psi, so either have a heap of small canisters or wear the weight loss of larger ones.

Machine Pistols: Pneumatic SMGs. Fire fast, somewhat inaccurate rounds, better fit to close/medium quarter battles. Use little psi per round, so good for stealthier load-outs or people who gotta go fast.

Steam Arms: Only for Quarter Masters (a class somewhat similar to the MAX Suit in PS2) They do not require canisters to fire due to the back of a Quarter Master is a coal generator. These very from a lighter pneumatic variant of a Gatling gun, a hand held variant Scylla (tm) mortar launcher, fire-spitter and more. These are fairly heavy, of course, but make up what they lack in speed with damage and utility. A Quarter Master has two of these attached instead of hands.

Handguns: These use actual gunpowder rounds (GASP!) of either teardrop or ball. The magwells are small and the damage is low, but they make a handy secondary weapon. Semi automatic

Flint lock: Side arm single fire guns. These use gunpowder too, and do huge damage to someone close to you. Also slow-ish to reload. Emergency cases or high skill would require this, and would be the "Mare's leg" of GoI.

Monkey Wrench: Repair stuff, dismantle stuff, hit stuff. Does the job.
Cutlass/Rapier: Slash stuff, Stab stuff, Kill stuff.
Dagger: Stab stab stab!

Ammunition
Any weapon can take any ammo (with the exception of side arms and some steam arms) and each ammo have there own pros and cons.
All the ammo stats would be based upon a Steam Carbine, Carronade would obviously work best with normal ball shot and a Musket with slugs of "Tear drop" ammunition.

"Tear drop" Ammo. These are in the shape of a normal real life bullet, threaded to help them spin and stay on track. These are larger, you will carry a hell of a lot less and require more psi to fire as well as firing slower per shot (Bang Bang Bang rather than RATATATATATATAT), but they are more accurate and deal more damage. These do more to armor than flesh. Perfect for Sniper rifles, Steam Carbines and Muskets

"Ball Shot" and "Threaded Ball Shot" Ammo. These are balls, much like those fired by muskets or shotguns, which are a lot less accurate and damage dealing, but they fire a lot faster, you can carry larger amounts of and they require less psi. Threaded Ball Shot does a little better than normal ball shot, more accurate but slightly slower and carry slightly less. Perfect for front-line Steam Carbines, Machine Pistols, Carronades and Steam Arms

"Heat drop" Ammo. These have tracers, and look similar to tear drops, but are super-heated by steam to deal higher damage tear through flesh. The down side is they use huge amounts of psi and fire slowly. Perfect for Sniper rifles, Muskets (You absolute madman) and Supporting steam Arms.

Modifications
The Steam Carbine, Musket, Sniper Rifle and Handgun are the only weapons to be able to be customized in ways other than cosmetic and ammo.
The Steam Carbine can have different scopes, ranging from Reflex 1x to 7x
Musket can have 1x to 10x
Sniper to 2x to 30x
Handgun has different iron-sights to a basic reflex.

Steam Carbine has heavier barrels, a forward facing oil lantern thing (basically a flash light), silencer lubricants (makes the mechanisms quieter, but at the cost of force/damage) and lightweight stocks.
Musket has longer barrel and a top loading slug adjustment.
Sniper has a silencer lubricant, heavier barrel, longer barrel and pressure changer (for shorter/longer distances)
Handgun has extended magazine, oil lantern thing and extended barrel.

Other

Rocket Launcher: Go figure. Line up a Trackrider or an Airship and make them go kaboom. Ranger, Steam Arm and Engineer Exclusive. Takes the secondary weapon slot for Engineer and Grenade slot for Ranger, Second arm slot for Steam Arm.
AT Mine: Make a vehicle go boom. Engineer exclusive (takes the grenade slot)
AP Mine: Make a person go boom. Or a vehicle, but it won't do much. (takes the grenade slot)
Timed Dynamite: 5/10/15 seconds to run! (takes the grenade slot)
Fused Dynamite: Place it, reel out the fuse up to 50 feet away, place the trigger boom box thing and watch them go boom! (Go up to the lever, press use and a short animation will show the character push it down.) Engineer Exclusive (takes the grenade slot)
Grenade: A small bomb with a even smaller fuse. Throw and hope for the best. (takes the grenade slot)
Whizbang: A small bomb with a whistle on it that goes really high pitch before exploding making a ball of light, blinding and deafening its' victims. (takes the grenade slot)

Classes
Classes are pretty simple. There are 4 catagories: Engineer, Apothecary, Rifleman/Privateer, Ranger and Quarter Master.

Engineers are slower/lower stamina due to what they have to carry. They can place mounted machine guns or metal walls, supporting their team by creating choke-points, or place Ammo caches and pressure generators, supporting their team by letting them refill faster. They have wrenches to upgrade or repair gear, repair friendly quarter masters dismantle dead quarter masters, enemy gear and to break some unsuspecting fool's skull. Other than this, they are like the Rifleman and have access to every weapon other than the Sniper rifle and Steam arms. They get a small buff with the Musket and Carronade, however. They wear dirty overalls and goggles, with their left arm supported with some brass casing it. A large leather and wood pack is on their back.

Apothecaries have the same stamina as a Riflemen. They have medicines and herbs from far lands ready to heal, buff and, in minor cases, revive fallen comrades. They have training in using Carronades, Machine Pistols, Muskets and Flintlocks. Medical buffs would include; Less recoil, less damage intake, health regen etc. They can drop first aid crates, acting like a healing station. They wear grey and brown clothing with a pair of glasses, one side with a magnifier thingy (You know, the one that jewelers have?) a pack strapped to their back and a satchel to the side. They are armed with a dagger.

Riflemen fight in the name of king and country. Privateers in the name of loot. Highly trained soldiers to battle on the front-lines at the call of duty. With suits of hardened leather, arms and torsos of bronze, metal plated leather caps and a belt armed with their side arm, grenades, sheathed rapier/cutlass and a vest of magazines and psi canisters, they are mobilized within minutes. Trained to use Steam Carbines, Machine Pistols and Muskets, they put up a hefty fight. The accuracy of these weapons are slightly higher and reload speeds are too.   

Rangers. Slippery goddamned rangers. They hone their skills every day for decades ready for times like these. They can be anywhere, anytime, ready to fire a round right through your bloody head, and don't mention the searing the bloody things leave! They wear plated leather pants, cloth shirts and usually a scarf either around their neck and face or the entire head. Their eyes are enhanced glasses able to see clarity in the most insane and soul crushing situations, and are highly experienced in Machine pistols and sniper rifles, with a blood stained dagger bound to them 'til the grave, and binoculars passed down generations from the great wars of the past by like-minded great grandfathers. They don't, however, like using light machine guns and can't stand driving a vehicle larger than a dune bike. (they can be passengers in any vehicle, however)

Quarter Masters. The best of the best, strongest of the strong. Through long, meaningless and rigorous training they become controllers of large bronze alloy suits and weapons strong enough to question the might of airships! They prefer to use Steam Arms, smaller versions of weapons found on airships and mountings, however they can also use carbines (why they would is unknown, for no Rifleman would have dared to ask) They find no need for Canisters, for the small generator they carry on their backs is more than enough to power the weapons and they have huge chains of ammunition hanging from their guns! (Or drums, if using ball ammunition...) They, however, lumber slowly through the battlefield, cursed by the casing that houses them. They cannot make use of mounted weapons and cannot drive vehicles (they can be passengers on vehicles larger than a dune bike or steamcycle)

Vehicles

Steamcycle: A three-wheeled vehicle able to onto hard surfaces (such as stone or a salt plane) and dirt/gravel roads at high speeds. These steam powered vehicles have a little plating and can carry one driver, one passenger behind the driver and one in the sidecar with a mounted Steam Carbine.

Dunebikes: The aforementioned Dunebike is a Steamcycle with made to go off road without any repercussion. They are light weight and can carry one passenger and one driver, but are easy to destroy.

Trackriders: An ironclad vehicle with heavy rubber tracks to let it go onto most surfaces with ease, with a mounted Gatling gun on the top and gun windows on the sides, allowing passengers to shoot out. Slow-ish, and can carry 5 passengers, one driver and one mounted gunner.

Airships: Gods of the skies, these infantry supporting versions are made to stay low and are small. They are covered in as many heavy guns as they can carry, however, and are good transports. Of course, they stick out like sore thumbs and will probably get shot down before you could say "BLOWN GASKET!"

Dirtriders: Light four wheeled frame vehicles powered by a small generator with space for a driver, front mounted carbine, two passengers and a top mounted gunner. They go fast, and can carry a lot of people, but are pretty easy to destroy if they run into a tank.

Tank: Like Trackriders, but only space for two. They either have flak cannons for destroying overhead airships and firing at personnel and light vehicles or heavy cannons for other tanks and personnel. A secondary heavy machine gun is mounted for someone else to use. Slightly slower than trackriders, but higher health.

(More?)

Maps and Lore
Maps would be a heap of ones from GoI remade for land battles and a lot of new and interesting ones, perhaps a city one day.
Better still, a huge Ps2 sized game with 3 main maps with smaller sectors in it would be great.

I can't think of any lore...
Perhaps fans and devs come up with some?
This is before the events of GoI, however, and this is before the practical removal of land armies or the uprising of pirates.

Sorry for the long-ish read and stuff, and hope you liked it.
Add some suggestions below. I'll edit it in and credit you to it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:49:10 am by PixleTurtle »

Offline PixleTurtle

• View Profile
Re: Guns Of Icarus: Steaming Fury (Game Suggestion)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 06:40:21 am »
<Reserved>

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:16:25 am »
What a lovely post, but I will stress, it is not player opinion which states no boarding, and no hand to.hand combat, it is Muse written in their own FAQ.
http://gunsoficarus.com/faq/#noboarding

Offline PixleTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 07:19:50 am »
What a lovely post, but I will stress, it is not player opinion which states no boarding, and no hand to.hand combat, it is Muse written in their own FAQ.

I was meaning an entirely seperate game in the GoI series, but I see that Muse wouldn't be into making this kind of game.
Welp, atleast I made a cool and basic concept for a steampunk fps.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:20:46 am »
This is a very nice observation to read Pixel. +1 Salute  8)

You have some very nice ideas.  :)

Offline PixleTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:25 am »
Thanks, mann!

I just realised there is a edit timer...
Welp, this sucks.
With the weapons, there are supposed to be a bunch of different kinds of each, not just one, and each have a different set of stats.
Like a Machine Pistol with a higher firing rate but lower accuracy, and another with the opposite etc.
The Steam Arms would be the only one with one of each type (One a uber fist, one a flak cannon, one a flame thrower, one a grenade launcher, one a Gatling gun etc etc)

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 07:41:49 am »

I was meaning an entirely seperate game in the GoI series, but I see that Muse wouldn't be into making this kind of game.
Welp, atleast I made a cool and basic concept for a steampunk fps.

Oh it is, by all means a legit concept, and if Muse ever get time off of developing Guns of Icarus into Alliance (and Adventure mode) I can imagine these would be the guys to make this concept work well, but that will take a few years..

Offline PixleTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 07:45:34 am »
Aye, it would.
Muse and the Guns of Icarus franchise would have to get a huge boost in funds and popularity for it to become a thing, but it's nice to dream.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:48:39 am »
If you wish to make edits to your original post, simply ask for a CA Mod or Moderator :D

You can report your own post to a mod and ask them politely to change it for you or you can find one :D

Offline PixleTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 07:52:58 am »
Oh! That's helpful.
Sorry, I've just not used this forum format before, and as you can tell from my levels I don't play GoI much...
The Australian servers didn't come and when they did I had errors with GoI and my GPU so I just sorta gave up.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 11:37:16 am »
Steampunk FPS would be neat, though Devs have troubles with making Co-Op/Adventure Mode which they have money for from Kickstarter, not speaking about maintaining population in Skirmnish Mode. Wasn't Co-Op supposed to be out sometime 2014ish?
I mean, not wanting to sound like a dick, it's very easy to say "make a GOIO fps" but it's mostly pointless at this time. I'd say give advice regarding Skirmnish or at least Co-Op or stop wasting people's time.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 04:53:32 pm »
I see no reason to not have regular ol' bullet-type weapons considering the airships have those.  ;)

Offline PixleTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 12:11:54 am »
I see no reason to not have regular ol' bullet-type weapons considering the airships have those.  ;)

Perhaps.
Once again, it's just a really, really basic concept.

Offline Crusty Skunk

• Salutes: 1
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 09:34:25 am »
Although i may not agree with some of the ideas. It's actually really nice to see somebody who's willing to write out a massive post filled with a suggestion. +1 salute!

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 03:00:29 pm »
Although i may not agree with some of the ideas. It's actually really nice to see somebody who's willing to write out a massive post filled with a suggestion. +1 salute!

Agreed, it is a good read, and as said I think it would make a good game, but Muse does not yet have the resources to develop another game alongside their current projects (including outside of GoIo) which is unfortunate...

Steampunk based games are hard to find, and in my opinion Muse hit the nail on the head for Guns of Icarus. :)

Maybe one day someone will make an fps steampunk game for our libraries :)