Author Topic: Impact Bumpers  (Read 12805 times)

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Impact Bumpers
« on: July 13, 2015, 08:23:26 pm »
Since the change to drogue chute giving it the same impact damage resistance Impact bumpers are almost obsolete having only 2 trivial advantages: longer duration and better vertical mobility, both of which can be disadvantages too.

A possible solution: Giving impact bumpers a reduction in force applied by impacts of maybe 40% (if this should apply to mines and/or minotaur is an open question)

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Impact Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:04:44 pm »
The drouge  chute thing has to be a bug. Its rendered impact numbers entirely useless. I'd be ok with a buff to impact bumpers, but this issue should have been fixed ages ago

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:10:59 pm »
Must have fallen under the table.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:11:19 pm »
The thing with drouge chute is that it is actually not supposed to reduce impact damge. Well it wasn't until the patch with the Heavy Carronade nerf came out and a certain developer in Muse wanted to overnerf balloon destruction and increased the effectiveness of drouge chute. It wasn't in the patch notes and I think only the guy that made the change even knew about it when the patch was released. Either it was forgotten or Muse decided to keep it.

Anyway, Impact Bumpers always seemed to lack something to make them a good 3rd pilot tool choice. More impact damage reduction, which also already reduces the effectiveness of mines, because their secondary damage type is "impact", would be nice and I wouldn't mind if Impact Bumpers would temporarily add more mass to the ship. That way when being rammed and when ramming yourself the enemy gets a greater knockback.

Offline Daft Loon

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:33:55 pm »
It seems likely it was part of the blenderfish nerf, i don't know that it not being in the patch notes indicates anything - Muse seem to be fairly averse to comprehensive patch notes in general.

I'm not sure about increasing its damage resistance - combining them to get -50% can be pretty ridiculous as it is (unless chute effect is removed and bumpers changed for its own sake).

I think adding mass would have the right kind of feel to the effect (it makes no sense but that can be said for half the other tool effects too) assuming nothing too weird happens when the mass changes, the alternatives are extra drag in all directions (which would have odd effects on acceleration) or directly reducing all impact forces (which may be impossible to add with the current code implementation). Not sure if a flat addition of mass or a proportional increase would be best, a flat increase would hugely buff ramming squids while a meaningful proportionate increase would make galleon almost immovable(er).

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:55:36 am »
I find it extremely usefull when combining drogue and bumpers. You basically make any ship a raming ship that simply does not work against galleons... but works against any other ship with any ship! :D

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 11:43:16 am »
I would like to see impact bumpers increase impact damage to the ship you are ramming. Instantly everyone's favorite new tool.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:22:22 pm »
I would like to see impact bumpers increase impact damage to the ship you are ramming. Instantly everyone's favorite new tool.

It is technically called an Impact Bumper, This is a good idea,

Increasing Impact damage will make ships such as the Pyra much more effective for Ramming!  8)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 03:23:57 pm »
Stamina Moonshine, Impact bumpers. New ramming meta.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 04:09:18 pm »
The drogue chute change was never an attempt to overnerf the carronade nor was it an intended change at all. It was a bug, got reported and fixed - and then it got broken again the patch afterwards. That cycle of fixing and breaking happen 3 times now. I let muse know about it again and it will probably be gone soon.

I guess people haven't been following on it because they haven't realized its been on and off in the game for the last three patches but it keeps getting fixed and broken - it's not new and its not an intended addition.

If people were paying attention they would see that the description of plenty of tools and skills is wrong for the last 3 patches(again, on and off - with fixing and breaking again.) such as: mallet, tar, drogue chute, hydro and a whole bunch more.

Offline Daft Loon

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 04:57:07 pm »
.... I let muse know about it again and it will probably be gone soon.

That is probably for the best as far as balance, still going to miss it though.

Unless what you are saying is that it has just been the description in which case i have been suffering from a mountain of confirmation bias.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:58:55 pm by Daft Loon »

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 05:11:16 pm »
.... I let muse know about it again and it will probably be gone soon.

That is probably for the best as far as balance, still going to miss it though.

Unless what you are saying is that it has just been the description in which case i have been suffering from a mountain of confirmation bias.

I don't actually know if its only the description, it could be just the text. But from my experience with those description bugs they are actually affecting things in-game.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 06:49:01 pm »
Still would like to have a buff to impact bumpers. It is probably used as little as the Range Finder.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 09:38:31 pm »
We do talk a lot about gunner balance and how to break away from the buff engi standard, but pilot class is almost equally as stagnant. Sometimes I'll bring a drouge chute if up against a lumberjack, but I, and most pilots, rarely break away from kero/moonshine, pheniox claw, and hydrogen. Would be nice to make the other tools useful enough to sacrifice one of those three

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 11:06:38 pm »
I would use tar more if it weren't for the needlessly obtuse and complicated controls.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:08:09 pm by Omniraptor »