Author Topic: Boston Marathon  (Read 17901 times)

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
Boston Marathon
« on: April 15, 2013, 05:54:04 pm »
Do we have any Boston natives amongst our ranks?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Boston Marathon
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:55:09 pm »
Smollett and Firestone are both from Boston if I remember correctly.

Offline Charon

• [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:08:50 pm »
IEDs in the homeland, man. What the hell.

Do we have contact with Smollet and Firestone? Odds of them being at a Marathon as it gets bombed are pretty damn low, but let's try and get a quick count of 'em.

Will be posting a civilian guide to IED defeat later on.

Edit: Smollett's good.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:11:23 pm by Charon »

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:06:35 am »
Had a few members from VFW at the race, I was sleeping at home during it myself. 

I won't say don't post about IED awareness Charon, just remember there is a large gap between civilian and military vigilance.  Years of training have hardened we few to not crack under hyper vigilance, but it does lead to behavioral alterations that last a life time.

I'll just say Boston area natives, avoid crowded venues, sport stadiums and malls, major foot traffic shopping or eating venues for at least two weeks.  (likely) domestic attacks like this that resulted in a tacticle failure for the aggressor usually give authorities a lot of evidence to help in speedy arrest.

Offline Charon

• [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:22:11 am »
Yeah. It's proving to be tougher than I thought. There's more than enough material here to make the point I'd like to get across, but how much of that I -should- post, I'm not sure about. Especially given that unclassified doesn't necessarily equal public.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:28:47 am »
I think the IA brief for potentially hostile countries would be a good one.  There's another, don't remember the order number, for dependents in potentially hostile locations.

Offline Charon

• [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 01:31:41 am »
ATFP? That's a pretty solid call, actually.

Offline Charon

• [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 02:05:21 am »
Ol' Tim brings us this link, guys. It's the Anti Terrorism Force Protection level one course, unclassified and open to public. No credentials required to take the course.

https://atlevel1.dtic.mil/at/

I want to hit on only a couple of things here.

First, these IEDs are limited only by the creativity of their creator. You can make a surprisingly great many things explode. Even stockpiles of hydrogen chloride are a huge red flag, believe it or not. As far as the things you might encounter, the majority of these devices are likely to be remote activated, as the technology for remote activation can't be inhibited by ECMs in our country. People would get mad about their laptops not working and all that.

This means you're not going to see mile-long strands of copper wire leading to something dangerous. The likelihood is that the person detonating the device is doing so via cellphone, garage door opener, coleman five-mile radios...Long story short, if you happen upon something taped to a wireless receiver, it's about time to get out of dodge and let someone know.

Don't think of these things as obvious packages with wires sticking out. Anything can contain a bit of explosive. There are a few key points that will key you off to something being a bit suspicious, and the course above should take care of those signs for you.

If you find a device, clear the area. You want at least 200 meters standoff, unless you can manage to find cover. Don't trust cars, unless you're behind the engine block. Cement ought to do it. Calmly move other people from the area if you can, but that's also not necessarily your job, so that's going to fall back on you. After you get to safety, call 911 and report very calmly and very specifically what you saw, where, why it spooked you and what kind of impact it could have on the surrounding area.

If you've been injured, try not to allow yourself to enter "victim" mode. Proactively attempt to treat your injury, if you know what you're doing. If you don't, I'll toss a video up in a bit that shows how to make any strip of cloth into a life saving cravat. Wearing this cravat on your person, or even just having it handy in a cargo pocket equips you to survive some pretty crazy situations. Special Operatives swear by this thing.

If a detonation occurs and you are NOT injured, push out of the affected area and get to cover. Always scan what's around you, consider what the enemy might be trying to get you to do. My general rule is Stop, Look, Think, Act. Get to cover and perform these steps.

Stop: Everything's going to be moving pretty fast, so try to get to cover, somewhere that you've got a moment to observe.
Look: Check out the surroundings. Any obvious threats? Obvious places to run? Are there obstacles to those places? Take in your surroundings.
Think: What is the bad guy trying to get me to do? Is he hoping we'll all crowd down that street to the right? Is this over? What's my route out of here? Finally, how do I help?
Act: Carry out your plan. Remember, a well executed plan now is better than a well thought out plan later.

Final note: If there's one, there's probably two. If it's easily spotted, it's probably designed to keep you where you are, unless the emplacer sucks.

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 03:37:18 am »
Ugh. This whole thing. I don't even know what to say.
I heard about it at work during lunch but being in Australia my coworkers didn't know much and internet reception there is pretty shocking (I don't have any personal pc use at my job) so I waited until I got home to find out more.

Just... man.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 06:06:24 am »
Yea and it comes at a pretty tense time in Washington as well, which may have the unfortunate side affect of a few knee jerk reactions made in response to the tragedy.
Boston itself will recover, she always does, I just hope the help is there for the extended communities that will be affected by this trauma.  It's been hard enough consoling the kids in my program, almost all of them are from Boston.

Offline Dragmyre

• Salutes: 8
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:08:10 am »
I'm actually surprised it took this long, over a decade of war the effects would inevitably show up at home.  All my sympathies to Boston.

Good link on the AT-1 Charon, here's a Afghan smart card that has a quick reference to IED's as well. https://www.kwikpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Generic-Afghan-CSC_IED-BK-08012.jpg

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 10:23:23 am »
I'm actually surprised it took this long, over a decade of war the effects would inevitably show up at home.  All my sympathies to Boston.

The vast majority of terrorist incidents in the US are of domestic origin (perpetrated by US citizens) an relate to domestic political issues, I've seen nothing suggested to say that this was anything else.  Quite the opposite, the news reports I've read draw more coincidences with domestic rather than international policies.

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 10:38:40 am »
Tragic         this stuff always happens when there in the middle of trying to get a bill passed

Offline Dragmyre

• Salutes: 8
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 10:52:41 am »

The vast majority of terrorist incidents in the US are of domestic origin (perpetrated by US citizens) an relate to domestic political issues, I've seen nothing suggested to say that this was anything else.  Quite the opposite, the news reports I've read draw more coincidences with domestic rather than international policies.

I meant IED's, a popular tool for insurgency/guerrillas.  I agree, I believe this has more probability of a domestic origin; I'm just surprised that small AP ones haven't been used before in the US.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 06:24:06 pm »
I didn't realize what had happened when I made my first post on this thread. I didn't hear it until I listened to the radio in the car this morning.

Holy shit. This is unbelievable. RIP to those who perished, and I wish well those who escaped it alive but harmed.