Author Topic: What do you name your ships and why?  (Read 90233 times)

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: What do you name your ships and why?
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2016, 11:44:01 am »
squid- this ship sucks
because it does :)

LOL

sure

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2016, 12:13:35 pm »
Pyra- wabbit wrath
since i like rabbits

Offline Skymonger

• Salutes: 22
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2016, 03:18:31 pm »
Pyra- wabbit wrath
since i like rabbits

How brutal.

I Change my ship names every week to keep things nice and fresh.
You don't want to wear it out after all.
Let's see...This weeks names are...

Squid- Rage of sky.
I like to be aggressive and getting in people's is the best way to do it.
But I'm physically small and can't take much at all.

Pyramidion- Stormrunner
Triangle shaped and meant for ramming, I have this feeling that running through storms, be it bulletstorms or actual Thunderstorms, the Pyra would be in its element.
...in actual gameplay though...

Spire- Skynail
It's long, pointy shaped, and thin. It's probably a nail. In this case, it's a Skynail because it flies obviously. I'm debating on whether or not to call it "Sky's Toenail" though.

Goldfish- Intervention
It's fast and delivers a decisive blow on the dime. It probably doesn't have much in it, but in the right place, it can stop anything.

Junker- Spelunker
At first it was just something to make it rhyme with junker. Now that I built it to incorporate mines, I realize Spelunker is related to actual mining and decided it's perfect.

Mobula- Linebreaker
Well...it's fat and wide, and has plenty of front guns. It's probably related to a trench line.
Other than that...not much else.

Galleon- Shockside
The many Hwatchas that this ship always carries is enough for a shock and awe tactic is it not?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 03:22:18 pm by Skymonger »

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2016, 03:38:23 pm »
Mobula is very american in that sense, that is big, wide, and have lots of guns :D

Offline Skymonger

• Salutes: 22
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2016, 03:47:18 pm »
Mobula is very american in that sense, that is big, wide, and have lots of guns :D

Oh right...
Shhhhh we don't talk about our rednecks...

Offline C r o w

• Salutes: 15
    • [Lock]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2016, 05:04:36 pm »
SHUT YER TRAP YA GIT, COZ YOU FOUGHT ME AND GOT 'AMMERED LIKE A LITTLE HUMMIE'

Burn the heretic, kill the mutant,
PURGE THE XENO

Anyway, I named my ships in very stupid ways:

Mobula: Don't flank me, guess why?
Junker: Shenanigans, because I use it mainly as munker, or to do stupid things.
Spire: TroughFireAndFlames, I had my best time when playing this ship with a heavy carro and 3 flamers. the enemy didn't have chem spray. And I like the song.
Goldfish: Trash, because this is the one ship that I can't bring myself to appreciate.
Squid: ImSorryForMyCrew, and when I say it, I truly am, engineers that happen to be there, hate me, and usually I fly with almost random builds.
Pyramidon: Skyshard, a friend suggested this name, I liked it, I used it.
Galleon: Dies Irae, better to hear sang by Mozart's choir, the sight of two hwachas shooting on you, at mid to close range is truly magnificent AND terrible, and begins a day full of wrath.
It's former name was "Furiosa" that means in Italian "furious", only it sounds terribly better when said by a native English speaker, I opted for this name since it would be my flagship name in every game involving ships, and because I started using the galleon because I was getting angry.

Offline Jamini

• Salutes: 2
    • [NEV]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2016, 11:08:32 am »
In order that they were named:

Goldfish - Dart
-Originally a blenderfish build. The Dart charges in, takes down the balloon of the target, then chases it down to pin their opponent to the ground. I rarely take Hwachas on my goldfish.

Mobula - Depth Changes
-When I first flew my Mobula, I was screwing around with a harpoon - x4 mine loadout. The name was a pun referring to how the mines were used. (Aim DOWN. Aim down!)
-Nowadays I use it to refer to how I fly. Vertical mobility is key for keeping a mobula alive and in arc.

Spire - Stake
-The cousin of the Dart. Can you guess what I try and do with this? (hint: Drogue chute)

Squid - Squib
-I enjoy calling Squids Squibs over voice. Even if it sounds and looks dumb. ESPECIALLY when it sounds/looks dumb.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2016, 04:11:45 pm »
Galleon: the Innkeeper's Daughter. She's beautiful, she's fanciful, and she's likely to toss you through a window if you try to pinch her rear.

Pyramidion: Staff of Charon. Pretty self explanatory, since the Pyra has a very Greek sounding name, and I decided to make it seem more grand than it really is.

Goldfish: Surprise. From the movie Master and Commander. I didn't really have a better name for the Goldie, so I just went with one I knew.

Squid: Apophis. The embodiment of chaos and disorder. So, basically, a Squid.

Mobula: Cumulus. Explanation not really needed.

Spire: Pillar of Atlas. I followed suite with the Pyra, mostly because I couldn't think of a better name.

Junker: Scavver/Patches. Patches works well because, well, it's a ragged little ship. Scavver just because I like the name.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2016, 05:29:04 pm »
I've kept the same ship names for nearly all of my career in GOI, so I might as well stop by and explain them.

The Pyramidion RAMMING SPEED, inspired by Worf's quote during Star Trek First Contact... view here! Exact quote is at 40 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni8MURSwSZg

The Junker KMS Sigmund Freud, named for the German psychoanalyst, but I have no idea why I chose to name it after him. I'm sure it has something to do with my mother. You'll have to analyze me, I guess. I used the designation KMS because that's what the World War II strategy game Hearts of Iron series used for German naval ships.

The Galleon FULL BROADSIDE, because I'm not subtle.

The Mobula Kaiser Chief, named for the UK band I've adored for a long time (though they're awful live). A popular song was Ruby, available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObzgUfCl28

The Goldfish Bright Ship Humana, because I love Bad Religion and it's mentioned in a song by them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-We8ogMQ-U

The Spire Sun Crusher, because I thought it looked like the absurd ship from the Star Wars expanded universe, viewable here: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/01/SunCrusher_egvv.jpg

The Squid Ackbar, because puns. IT'S A PICTURE!: http://img.lum.dolimg.com/v1/images/admiralackbar1_2_845df144.jpeg

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2016, 10:35:07 pm »
The Junker KMS Sigmund Freud, named for the German psychoanalyst, but I have no idea why I chose to name it after him. I'm sure it has something to do with my mother. You'll have to analyze me, I guess. I used the designation KMS because that's what the World War II strategy game Hearts of Iron series used for German naval ships.

Personally went with "Freud Was Right" for the Spire.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2016, 01:57:36 am »
This week? Recyclables

Next week? who knows. probably nothing.

Offline Guagadu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 16
    • [Grim]
    • View Profile
    • Guagadu: Twitch
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2016, 06:21:26 pm »
Pyramidion - The Winged Hussar, because I play aggressively and charge at enemies like a Polish winged hussar. Inspired by the song Winged Hussars by Sabaton.

Spire - White Death, because when I got the game my friends and I only used the Spire for sniper builds, inspired by the song White Death by Sabaton, a song about a Finnish sniper.

Mobula - Aces in Exile, inspired by the song Aces in Exile by Sabaton. Only correlation to the song is the fact that the song is about flying.

Goldfish - The Last Stand, because when in doubt about what to fly, I pick a Hwacha-Fish, hence my Last Stand. Inspired by the song The Last Stand by Sabaton.

Junker - Whale Hunter, after the long-time troll build of mine, with full-harpoons. This is also the only ship that I have never piloted.

Squid - Into the Fire, after my favorite squid build, with two flamethrowers and a harpoon. Inspired by the song Into the Fire by Sabaton.

Galleon - Ghost Division, named after the song Ghost Division by Sabaton, a song about a division of tanks, because the Galleon feels like a tank.

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2016, 06:39:45 am »
Pyramidion - Flaramidion: Flare Pyramidion. I like flares and bad puns.

Spire - Flire: Flare Spire. I like flares and  bad puns.

Goldfish - Flarrofish: Flare Carrofish. I like flares and.... you get the theme.

Mobula - Flarebula

Galleon - Flalleon. Used to be "something with flare".

Junker - Flunker

Squid - Fluidflareflagsquid. Used to be "A Fluid". I changed it during Cake's Unbirthday tournament week 2 to Fluidflareflagsquid, because I was one of the flagships that were supposed to be killed. I don't know how stuff escalated to that level.

I tend to change my shipnames spontaniously if I have something witty in response to another shipname in the lobby.

Offline earbudmusic

• Salutes: 0
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2017, 07:44:57 am »
Why not bring this back for my first post?

All my ships are named after sea shanty's and I'm desperately in need of another ship so I can have one named Fiddler's Green.

PYRAMIDION- Heave Away Haul Away
--The majority of the time this name is a lie, since I love to ram, but in sniper dunes matches it's true.

GOLDFISH- Drunken Sailor
--This is the one everyone knows, it's one of my main ships, and it's in honor of both my bad driving and certain people's habit of being drunk in lobby.

SQUID- Blood Red Roses
--I just really really love this name, but I don't really run squid...

GALLEON- Coast of Barbary
--Abreviated from The High Coast of Barbary. Sounded piratey.

SPIRE- Lowlands
--Spire for me is a lot of times a suicide ship, tho I try and call it a kill shit for crew morale. This is an extremely sad song and would def recommend a listen.

MOBULA- Spanish Ladies
--Known mostly from Jaws. See if you can guess why this ship got this name

JUNKER- Blow The Man Down
--Fun little song since now I usually run a munker. Also is great because whenever The Mann is in lobby this name gets an extra letter.

Offline NyarIathotep

• Salutes: 0
    • [POSH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2017, 09:48:54 am »
Pyramidion: The Mayfly -> Aside of being the name of one of the first airships it conjures astute precognitions of my piloting skills. Also mayflies are pretty amazing, being the only insects that have two imago stages. And they serve as an indicator species. If they can survive, everybody can.

Galleon: Volvox -> Painted green for extra volvoxness. Volvox are green algea, sphere shaped like the galleon balloons, and they are extremely awesome since they are on the verge of being multicellular organisms. They are right in between being a multicellular plant and being a colony of single cell algeas. Just like a good crew should be!

Mobula: Lysozym -> An enzyme that is part of the immune system and breaks down hostile bacteria cell walls. Like, ideally, my mobula breaks the enemy armor. Also, the mobula resembles in its shape lysozym crystals.

Junker: Leukocyte -> White blood cell. The Junker has a white, rather shapeless balloon. And what could be more fearsome than white blood cells?

Goldfish: Tardigrade -> Amazing tiny animal that can survive even in outer space due to anhydrobiosis (death-like, dehydrated state)! Extremely resilient, like the goldfish is. Boiling water? Liquid helium below -260°C? 6000 Bar pressure? Radioactivity? No problem! Also, again, shape similarities.

Squid: Wolfram von Eschenbach -> My favourit medieval author who subverted old literature standards and rules. Even the Middle High German original still reads extremely modern in some parts. I feel his writing style is as nimble and adventurous as the squid.

Spire: IOOth Red Balloon -> 99 of them go by, the 100th shoots back. 8) Needless to say I painted it red.