Author Topic: Short Guide to Paritan Spire  (Read 15744 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Short Guide to Paritan Spire
« on: March 22, 2015, 03:15:17 am »
Short Guide to Paritan Spire
By Indreams

Paritan Rumble has got to be on almost everyone's list of favorite map. It's a mysterious concrete jungle with a byronic charm. It's a Canyon Ambush without the we-crossed-the-map-and-didn't-run-into-anyone. Paritan allows for beautiful maneuvers, such as the one I will describe here.

This is a guide for relatively new Pilots who wants to try something on Paritan.

You will need a short-range Spire, Kerosene, Hydrogen, and Pheonix Claw.

1.) Begin low.
  Almost all players on Paritan will default to flying high. Even the most experienced vet pilot will fly high unless they have a devious plan. So begin by dropping your altitude. With all of the visual obstructions on Paritan, you will be practically invisible.

2.) Learn how to pilot low.
  Once you are low, you'll see that lower Paritan is very complicated. Pathways are narrower, and obstacles are more frequent. If you are going to fly low, you'll have to learn not to run into things. This is one of the reasons you will want a Spire. Although it is one of the big ships, it is pretty compact. It doesn't have wings spread to the sides nor tails wagging behind. Spire also provides you an almost unobstructed view. The Spire should be the easiest ship to fly between buildings.
  Two tips for flying low.
  i. If you don't think it'll fit, it won't. You aren't Han Solo or Skywalker; the force is not with you. If you try to fit, you might get stuck, and you might have to spend the whole match getting unstuck. Fly it safe.
  ii. Phoenix Claw often. Don't be shy about the chicken foot. It's not only for turning your Pyramidion. It's also for slowing your ship down and doing sharp turns. You'll need it and you should use it.

3.) Stalking
  When you are flying low, you will be practically invisible. That doesn't mean that you should be practically blind. Keep an eye out for enemy ships. If you glimpse them, try to predict their movements. But tell your crew to not mark the enemy ship. If you mark, the enemy will know (by the eye on the top right) that you can seem them. Don't mark until you are ready to engage.

4.) Attacking
  You will want a close range spire for this one. As I said, you should be practically invisible. Stalk your prey, and when you are ready to pounce, feed your balloon hydrogen and lift up! Try to get everyone on a gun. Roll out your Hwacha/Carronade/Flame/Gatling/Mortar onslaught. You need to kill them immediately. Spire isn't a very durable ship (despite a recent buff), and you want to avoid getting shot at.

5.) Running Away
  Sometimes, an attack doesn't go perfectly right. Your Hwacha gunner misses every shot, or somebody put a Lochnagar in your mortar. Whatever the reason is, it's time to run away.
  Look for a side-street. Tell your engineers to keep the engines up. Use your Pheonix claw to align your ship and spark Kerosene to jet towards the exit. You remember that part about "If you don't think it'll fit, it won't."? Doesn't matter right now, you gotta run. Unless the enemy captain is a super-experienced pilot, they won't be able to chase you. If they manage to chase you, at the next exit, turn right/left with Pheonix Claw. You should have lost them by now.

This has been an guide to Paritan by Indreams, your most sincere Yeshan-Propagandist.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
Re: Short Guide to Paritan Spire
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 03:19:48 am »
This is my very first proper guide.

I was going to discuss maneuvers on Paritan on the Gameplay thread, but I got carried away. I saw that guides section had been quite for a while, so I decided to put something in it.

Feedback is almost always welcome, as I am not a great player (yet :))).

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 03:46:46 am »
That whole flying low part is the most important bit

Altitude control is what separates the good pilots from the bad ones in every situation

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 12:13:13 pm »
I absolutely LOVE close range spires on paritan, salute.

But here's something I wonder, why phoenix claw? I've been told spire already has a very good turning rate (although sometimes it doesnt "feel" like it) and have performed successfully with a spire without it for ages now.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 12:53:10 pm »
Well, you'll be taking two of your three slots with hydrogen and kerosene. Those are essential for the ambush-kill-runaway build on this guide.

That leaves the third slot. You could take a pilot tool of your choice (except rangefinder), but I recommend the Phoenix Claw.
When first learning to pilot, it is very difficult to avoid obstacles. There are two tools to offset: Impact Bumper and Phoenix Claw. Impact bumper will reduce the bump damage by 25%, weigh down your engine 60%, and last 5 seconds after deactivation. Phoenix Claw will drag (200% Longitudinal Drag) your ship, reducing the collision speed and bump damage, quickly adjust your trajectory, and deactivate immediately. Phoenix Claw will both reduce your bump damage and help you dodge obstacles. Phoenix Claw will also factor into high-level plays once you learn not to run into buildings.

Of course, once you are experienced in dodging of concrete, you won't need Phoenix Claw. The Spire turns fast enough for most of your needs. You could try tar or vent chute. However, the Phoenix Claw has versatility that is very useful in combat. If the enemy ambushes you, you'll want to turn very very quickly. If you need to turn tail and flee, using Claw to Kerosene will get you out faster than just Kerosene.

And I personally think that Claw should be in the belt of every pilot but Squid. Don't forget that the Chicken Foot is a lucky charm in the skies.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 12:57:25 pm »
And Mobula.

ALL HAIL DANIEL

In any case, this should REALLY help with flying Spire, thanks.

Would it be possible to swap the flamer for an extra gat, get a quicker kill?

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:03:21 pm »
And Mobula.

ALL HAIL DANIEL

In any case, this should REALLY help with flying Spire, thanks.

Actually, he didnt state any specific builds, just gave you some choices on what to take.

I generally go with hades on slot 2, but gatling on 4 tends to remain underused, however, I didnt think of putting it on 3 for the hwacha gunner, so thanks for the minor, unintended tip!

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 01:03:28 pm »

The sharp, sanguine point of this build is: "Hwacha/Carronade/Flame/Gatling/Mortar onslaught". Bring any of these devastating guns in any combination (within reason). Just make sure that when you attack, you commit. Try to get everyone on a gun, including the pilot. You need to surprise them and simultaneously kill them. The Spire (despite the recent buff), is not a durable ship.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:09:47 pm by Indreams »

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 01:08:41 pm »

The sharp, sanguine point of this build is: "Hwacha/Carronade/Flame/Gatling/Mortar onslaught". Bring any of these devastating guns in any combination (within reason). Just make sure that when you attack, you commit. Try to get everyone on a gun, including the pilot. You need to surprise them and immediately kill them. The Spire (despite the recent buff), is not a durable ship.

I have experience with the Spire's squishiness, I engi on them occasionally.

That said, I think I'll have

Hwacha/L.Carro/x?Gat/Mortar

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 01:09:26 pm »

The sharp, sanguine point of this build is: "Hwacha/Carronade/Flame/Gatling/Mortar onslaught". Bring any of these devastating guns in any combination (within reason). Just make sure that when you attack, you commit. Try to get everyone on a gun, including the pilot. You need to surprise them and immediately kill them. The Spire (despite the recent buff), is not a durable ship.

Oh, the health buff saved my bum PLENTY of times, I assure you. But still any spire pilot should be just as cautious with it.

Offline Indreams

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 01:12:41 pm »
Oh, the health buff saved my bum PLENTY of times, I assure you. But still any spire pilot should be just as cautious with it.

I've also had matches were the buff saved my bum. On recent four or five matches, I've survived (not died) the whole match on a sliver of health. However, the Geography of the ship still makes it a flimsy ship.

And don't forget Engineers getting stuck on ramps and stuff. That usually kills a Spire.

Offline ShadedExalt

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 01:13:42 pm »

I've also had matches were the buff saved my bum. On recent four or five matches, I've survived (not died) the whole match on a sliver of health. However, the Geography of the ship still makes it a flimsy ship.

That's why the Pyra is so durable, it has incredibly easy routes.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 01:15:34 pm »
And don't forget Engineers getting stuck on ramps and stuff.
If only moving around the ships wasn't broken, in a game that's been released for 2+ years.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 01:26:26 pm »
I absolutely LOVE close range spires on paritan, salute.

But here's something I wonder, why phoenix claw? I've been told spire already has a very good turning rate (although sometimes it doesnt "feel" like it) and have performed successfully with a spire without it for ages now.

I bring Phoenix claw unless there's a lot of balloon popping, then I bring hydro and drogue chute. Phoenix claw is useful when brawling and I use it very often. With buffed engines it's less necessary, it depends on your play style and how close you plan on getting. If you have damaged engines claw is good for squeezing out extra turning to finish off the kill.

My favorite spire loadout is spanner mallet buff and kerosene as the captain (lesmok ammo) with the main engi bringing spanner mallet chem and hydrogen. Downstairs there's a wrench buff chem and spanner mallet buff. One engi buffs the bottom guns while the other keeps the bottom buffed. As the buff captain you buff the engine and top gun(s) and can even buff the hull (but don't waste your time on it). While you're buffing the other guy can fly.

Having two spanner mallets upstairs and two buff hammers downstairs is a huge bonus to survivability and maneuverability. With a buffed balloon and engines you won't need claw or much hydro. If you do need hydro the top engi jumps on the helm and quickly pulls up. For the most part kerosene will be enough. Against blender fish I always recommend bringing hydro and drogue.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:16 pm »
This guide all the way.

I remember in Sunday Rumlbes i peekabood from the buildings onto peeps. Oooo and that giant comeback!
Lets not forget the miiiines!

Yupp, paritian rumble is more Ambush than Canyons.