Author Topic: To GG or not to GG? That is the question.  (Read 42527 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Re: To GG or not to GG? That is the question.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 03:36:57 pm »
I personally think it's unecessary and it has become almost mandatory if you don't want to be seen as impolite. That troubles me a lil bit because I'm one of those guys who think GG only makes sense when both sides had fun and/or really tried to compete. Totally disaprove the political correctness side of it.

+500 Gilder points to Supimpa

I hate that it just becomes a social norm. There is no meaning to the letters. I've been in matches in a variety of games since UT99 days and what really got me the most and made me swear off ever using it unless I meant it...was running into aimbotters in matches back then. They'd ruin matches. Laugh and mock at players. Servers would empty and fill constantly when one would show up. What really ticked me off more was it would end and everyone would type "gg". I'd be like...NO! Why are you telling some hacker that it was a GG? He ruined the game for everyone and you still say GG? That got me.

In GOIO the equivalent would be most of a enemy team rage quitting and the last ship getting stomped. Then everyone goes "gg"...I'm like...no...no. I don't care if I'm doing the stomping, I'm not going to pour salt in my foes wounds by saying there was anything good about what his allies did.

I've long since stopped caring what people think about me not typing "gg". Had a few mention it to me over the years like it was some horrific crime I was committing.  Then I tell them why and they leave it be. You can't guilt me into doing it. It is a form of political correctness and I refuse to submit to social norms like that.

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 03:58:03 pm »
I for one say gg if it's a fun match, GG! If it was an extremely tense/fun match. Its a really subtle difference but one that I think makes a big deifference. If it's not worthy of either of those then say nothing imo, as somebody said, its like tipping in a restaurant, if you had bad service you wouldn't leave a tip

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 04:29:34 pm »
You seem offended that people say gg all the time. It's basically just a polite way of saying 'thanks for the game' and showing some level of respect. If you don't want to say it, don't say it?

Saying gg isn't all that important, people just like to be nice, as strange as that sounds. If it's a bad game and you don't say anything, people won't care.

I'm not going to get on anyone's case for not saying good game, but if they're not a good sport (shouting about how bad the game was, blaming their team, etc) I'll probably think less of them. (Again, unless there was some terrible problem that caused it to be a bad game like trolls, super lag, leavers, etc). It's really situational.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 05:16:38 pm »
I never made it a habit to say GG at the end of every game. In the game that I played before joining Guns of Icarus, GG was a rare occurance, because instead of saying it, people just socialized, balanced or not. In fact, I used to say that in the beginning of the game start through a voice commands, but only in game modes where you had to win as an individual.

In Guns of Icarus I either say "Mobula OP" or nothing at all. When I say nothing at all, there is a good chance that I don't pay attention to the chat, which happens often in a competitive environment, I just blend it out the second the game starts until we are back in the lobby.

I would rather have some socializing instead of dem Gs, but in competitive teams tend to be so socially seperated that one cannot do more than compliment gunners or pilots or trying to point out flaws in the other teams gameplay. I don't compliment very often, because said gunners or pilots sometimes do so many mistakes that I am not sure how much good a compliment would do and as a pilot myself I know how much unintended stuff happens, for example the crew doesn't do what I want immediately or I am in such an awkward position that I don't even know, and I am not sure if I would even want a compliment when I am on the recieving end.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:23:19 pm by Dementio »

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 05:30:40 pm »
At this point I'll only say
Sorry for the stack
Sorry your team/teammate left
ggwp
or nothing
If a game was good and both teams played well, I'll say ggwp. If it was massively unbalanced,  I'll apologize,  but I will never say gg if we crushed the enemy 5-0. It seems patronizing at best.

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 07:23:48 pm »
I usually "gg". It's more of a habit from my Starcrafting days. "glhf" (good luck and have fun) begins games and "gg" (good game) ends games. In Starcraft, it was the accepted norm, and it was pretty rude (and taunting) if you didn't "glhf" and "gg".

Although, I say "happy birthday~" when I play a Cake. I rather like that.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 08:04:16 pm »
I have recently been considering a new line to say at the end of a victory, a hypothetical question...

"Is there an awesome, beyond awesome, or is awesome the most awesome, I will ever be?"

8)

(p.s. I'm joking)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 09:40:00 pm »
Why GG when you can Happy Birthday!~

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 12:20:28 am »
I just say "Well fought." I never was one to take to silly net/text slang. I much prefer actual words and sentences.

Offline Xemkobankavareniya

• Salutes: 20
    • [Rrdy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 12:32:56 am »
GGMLG

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 07:31:28 pm »
GG is pretty much my way of saying game over.

I guess game gone? Hence I only say it before or during a match when it has reached a conclusive point.

gg in many rts circles (esports star craft notably) is actually just a means of surrendering a match as it has reached the point where a player loses the chance/ability to win.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 11:05:10 pm »
If it was a truly BAD game, I won't say "gg".  If it's average/good, I'll say GG.

So simple, it seems like magic!

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 01:57:45 am »

I guess game gone? Hence I only say it before or during a match when it has reached a conclusive point.

gg in many rts circles (esports star craft notably) is actually just a means of surrendering a match as it has reached the point where a player loses the chance/ability to win.

Or perhaps this is your mind perceiving this in such a negative manner through psychological assumptions?
GG stands for Good Game, any normal person who wants to saying something different, will say something different. If someone writes GG and you read something different, it is your perception, not their meaning.

Offline Mean Machine

• Salutes: 31
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 03:14:58 am »
I rarely say gg in pub match and more often in competitive, but only if I mean it. I don't think lying to your opponents is better sporting than tossing ggs all over the place.

Offline c-ponter

• Salutes: 14
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 04:07:24 am »

I agree 100% that in some games, specifically starcraft, it is actually considered extremely rude not to gg at the end of a game, regardless of how well played or enjoyable it was, but personally I don't want GOIO to turn into one of those games where a gg is necessary. Imo it should hold some degree of meaning, not just a way of saying 'game over'