Author Topic: GOIA memes  (Read 557084 times)

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: GOIO memes
« Reply #450 on: June 05, 2015, 01:24:45 pm »
huh, vet bashing, nice. I'm more of a backseat gunner. "HOW COULD YOU MISS THAT?!"

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #451 on: June 05, 2015, 01:30:39 pm »
As a newer player: That moment when the "helpful suggestions" by the veteran on your crew turn into an endless barrage of harsh criticism of you as a captain.

Gotta love back seat captains, right? :P

yeah well look at it from a vet's point of view. A vet is watching you slam straight into a wall at full throttle but it seems to be invisible to your noob eyes.

You warn against it but you just keep slamming into that wall and you're scratching your head. The vet is telling you why, but none of it goes in.

something like that understandably drives a person crazy.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 05, 2015, 01:51:40 pm »
"I don't get it! It's like the air keeps bouncing me back!"

Offline Major-Malice

• Salutes: 3
    • [✧¥E✧]
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 05, 2015, 02:38:12 pm »
As a newer player: That moment when the "helpful suggestions" by the veteran on your crew turn into an endless barrage of harsh criticism of you as a captain.

yeah well look at it from a vet's point of view. A vet is watching you slam straight into a wall at full throttle but it seems to be invisible to your noob eyes.

You warn against it but you just keep slamming into that wall and you're scratching your head. The vet is telling you why, but none of it goes in.

Sounds like there's a personal story in that one. :(

It wasn't the dude's suggestions that were upsetting. I like suggestions, tips, tricks and as much help as possible from the vets! :D.  Its just when a vet (or I am sure some of you vets could agree: some crew member) is trying to take the "helm" from you as the captain and disregards what you are saying or asking completely. You know what I mean? Back seat driver sort of annoyance. :/

Lol, the pic just captured that sort of transition from welcoming and really valuing the vet's experience to "really dude, you're just going to micro manage and talk down to us all?"

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 05, 2015, 02:39:59 pm »
Ohhh, ouch, never actually had a guy like that. Then again, I don't pilot often.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 05, 2015, 02:47:57 pm »
I get Backseat pilots all the time, all I do is take my headset off or make a party so I can only talk to my helpful members.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 05, 2015, 03:02:35 pm »
It's words and attitude. There's a difference between helpful suggestions and disrespectful criticism.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:05:17 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #457 on: June 05, 2015, 03:04:52 pm »
Back seat piloting can come in different forms, in competitive play it'll be a crew mate suggesting a route or a different engagement, and it'll be a brief and concise, normally well placed advise too, I always make a note of taking my crews points of view into account wherever possible.

Another form is as mentioned the vet, I myself try to keep it down to quick tips, like when shooting a lumberjack and I quickly mention "Hold the ship steady, don't steer once we have arc and burn kero or moonshine for a second to stabilise, it'll help us get more shots." Or "Don't forget captain, our Allie is slower than us, he will need us to wait for him lest we get annihilated by two enemy ships."
Then the vet who as mentioned tries to help but goes too far, I had a lot of them in my early days, but in the end it did help to take their words into account, but at the time I was just like "Dude... Stop.." XD

Another form of back seat driving, when someone with less experience tries to tell a vet pilot to do a bad move.. For example "If we go in quick and pop their balloons we can run over them come back and attack them from behind." Was once a bit of advice to me from a gunner.. Me: "We are using Gatling mortar in a slow ship, balloon popping wont happen anytime soon from our ship matey." Gunner: What you think I'll miss the balloon?"
As you can imagine, the gunner despite attempts to explain damage mechanics tried his best to pop balloons... He tried and he tried and we died and we died.. Apparently by his words: "This ship has the wrong guns! You should put the lumberjack on both front guns." For a pyramidion...

The last mentioned back seat gunners are the best, because they have such good intent and determination, just an unfortunate lack of game knowledge...

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 05, 2015, 03:13:24 pm »
Hey, I can be a backseat gunner, but not in that way. Mostly its when I try and tell a new guy how to shoot a difficult gun. Or the above "HOW DID YOU MISS THAT?!" when it was a blindingly easy shot

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 05, 2015, 03:20:55 pm »

Sounds like there's a personal story in that one. :(

It wasn't the dude's suggestions that were upsetting. I like suggestions, tips, tricks and as much help as possible from the vets! :D.  Its just when a vet (or I am sure some of you vets could agree: some crew member) is trying to take the "helm" from you as the captain and disregards what you are saying or asking completely. You know what I mean? Back seat driver sort of annoyance. :/

Lol, the pic just captured that sort of transition from welcoming and really valuing the vet's experience to "really dude, you're just going to micro manage and talk down to us all?"

Most veterans are kind, until you reach the line. Then they might be pissed multiple matches in a row. (example: my own bloody self)

The other thing is - being a pilot in this game is difficult. The reasons are multiple, and don't get me wrong - I don't have time to list them. So if the experienced player tells you to pass him the helm - SOMETIMES it might be a good idea to do so. And sometimes it's better to ask questions than expecting other person to listen what YOU are saying, especially if that one knows better than you.

Also, piloting needs some skill and practice - I remember suggesting one new player a goldfish, and he had difficult time flying it the first time, as he was used to putting the full forward speed on bloody, fat-ass shit galleon, hence - smashing the bloody walls constantly. Usage of piloting tools ALSO require practice. And it is usually painful at start.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 05, 2015, 03:34:56 pm »
Keep in mind there is an asymmetry here. I had two bad experiences total with vet crew in my early days. Both were problems with communication. I have enough stories of novice pilots not listening to fill the Vatican Secret Archives, most of them are pilots who are told X is bad, X is easily avoidable, and they do X again, repeatedly. Usually I'm nice but sometimes I make my point more grumpily. Like the guy who was told ramming was a bad idea in a metamidion and went on to do it five more times getting us killed on four out of the five occasions. Or the guy who wouldn't turn impact bumpers off and couldn't understand why his ship couldn't bring guns to bear even after I explained it, three times. Or the guy who set up an ambush, on our enemies spawn, when both enemy ships were in the middle of the canyons over a kilometre away killing our ally, and I informed them politely for the second time, and so they rage quit. Or the guy who brought double flak pyra in spite of me telling them over and over that it is a weak build. Or the guy who wouldn't turn off hydrogen. And on, and on, and on. None of these things are difficult to avoid (the instruction 'press the one key and the balloon will stop taking damage' is about as simple as it gets). Making these mistakes once is fair enough, folks gotta learn, but so many players think they know better than the person with hundreds or thousands of games under their belt. And way to many people pilot without sufficient experience.

Vets who bash novices and back seat drive suck, but considering the crap we have to deal with this is, on the whole, an exceptionally tolerant community. Sounds like you had a crappy experience Major-Malice, and I'm sorry to hear about that. But keep in mind when you get terse comments from experienced pilots that they have virtually no means of controlling who they get paired with (there is no kick function), match maker frequently (perhaps more frequently) pairs them with very derpy folks, and you are the third person today who they have had to politely inform that hwacha galleons with mortars in the light guns aren't the best idea ever. Oh and the last two didn't change their guns even though they were given a careful explanation of the damage mechanics. Oh and one of them said they would, but changed their mind because Lion gun OP shut up 720 noscope pro mlg swag. Then they spent the next 15 minutes blaming said vet because without piercing damage said galleon couldn't get a kill. Also they kept ramming. The mountain. With moonshine. In reverse. And then they ate a puppy.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 05, 2015, 03:43:44 pm »
Just to get things back on track...

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 05, 2015, 03:54:39 pm »
Keep in mind there is an asymmetry here. I had two bad experiences total with vet crew in my early days. Both were problems with communication. I have enough stories of novice pilots not listening to fill the Vatican Secret Archives, most of them are pilots who are told X is bad, X is easily avoidable, and they do X again, repeatedly. Usually I'm nice but sometimes I make my point more grumpily. Like the guy who was told ramming was a bad idea in a metamidion and went on to do it five more times getting us killed on four out of the five occasions. Or the guy who wouldn't turn impact bumpers off and couldn't understand why his ship couldn't bring guns to bear even after I explained it, three times. Or the guy who set up an ambush, on our enemies spawn, when both enemy ships were in the middle of the canyons over a kilometre away killing our ally, and I informed them politely for the second time, and so they rage quit. Or the guy who brought double flak pyra in spite of me telling them over and over that it is a weak build. Or the guy who wouldn't turn off hydrogen. And on, and on, and on. None of these things are difficult to avoid (the instruction 'press the one key and the balloon will stop taking damage' is about as simple as it gets). Making these mistakes once is fair enough, folks gotta learn, but so many players think they know better than the person with hundreds or thousands of games under their belt. And way to many people pilot without sufficient experience.

Vets who bash novices and back seat drive suck, but considering the crap we have to deal with this is, on the whole, an exceptionally tolerant community. Sounds like you had a crappy experience Major-Malice, and I'm sorry to hear about that. But keep in mind when you get terse comments from experienced pilots that they have virtually no means of controlling who they get paired with (there is no kick function), match maker frequently (perhaps more frequently) pairs them with very derpy folks, and you are the third person today who they have had to politely inform that hwacha galleons with mortars in the light guns aren't the best idea ever. Oh and the last two didn't change their guns even though they were given a careful explanation of the damage mechanics. Oh and one of them said they would, but changed their mind because Lion gun OP shut up 720 noscope pro mlg swag. Then they spent the next 15 minutes blaming said vet because without piercing damage said galleon couldn't get a kill. Also they kept ramming. The mountain. With moonshine. In reverse. And then they ate a puppy.

^
THIS.

The moment, when a new player tells me that he is good with buff kit, having played less than 300 matches, and - OF COURSE - declining the reasonable loadout only because of that reason:

*Beep*
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 10:17:48 am by AbbyTheRat »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #463 on: June 05, 2015, 04:40:32 pm »
Lets no go equating "gay" with stupid and poor performing newbies. It is in insult to gay people.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #464 on: June 05, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »
Lets no go equating "gay" with stupid and poor performing newbies. It is in insult to gay people.

Agreed.

Annddd

Just to get things back on track...

Saluted :)