Author Topic: Killing the community, one game at a time.  (Read 73601 times)

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Killing the community, one game at a time.
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2015, 07:57:27 am »
I'd be happy to help with some Youtube content. I've done a little video editing (nothing complicated), but I wouldn't describe myself as especially good. If we want some scripted that is more work than it seems, I could probably help with that.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2015, 08:18:43 am »
I have an idea. For a little episode.

The screen split on half - to the right rebuilding galleon's armour with mallet, to the left, rebuilding with spanner. And timer in center. With commentary. And something similar for repairing.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2015, 11:11:15 am »
I'll just leave it here

Dear god... the beauty..

Also for those that keep implying I changed my user for some sort of espionage crap. Kek. To those in the know, it will be changed back in a specific date.

Just as I said with quitting CsM after a certain date and returning to being leader of AI (thx muse for actually making me leader again-I now know thats not a thing I could get back after leaving)

As for the source of the new username: http://youtu.be/rxZSWb4TLLw?t=40s

And as of today... I'm just gonna do the bear minimum required to play. point guns move forward.

play mines and flare guns and mebbe my koi wenever I miss it (which now has mines and flare guns). Noobs shoot my mines? I will fly into them.

Ppl shoot my flare early we will be spotted and killed.

Hurry up and get that unscathed while my whimsy lasts.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:20:49 am by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:00 am »
Thanks Schwalbe, great idea. We should make a new thread about it with a list of tiny to-do things like this, possibly in a google doc so people can volunteer and get assigned to do certain ones. For example I would like to make a video with timings of armor break with different gatling ammo types buffed vs unbuffed. Right now we can refer to llamatron but it's not as convincing as a video.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2015, 11:58:58 am »
This is so cute when community agrees on the idea you were trying to enforce half a year ago...

*sigh* yeah, that's a great idea, +1

I think that the problem is that veterans are 'forced' to play with both unexperienced players and noobs/assholes/snowflakes/whatsofuckingever. If we want some fun all we can do is gather enough people and make a private game, which is not a good solution neither for us, nor for community.
I imagined a system where playerbase (let's assume for a moment that is big enough for this) is divided by levels into three categories: 1-14 ; 15-29; 30-45 and only two of those categories (neighboring each other) can stay in one match. So for example is the match has only >30lvl people, matchmaker can gather only people with levels 15 and above. This creates a kind of buffer zone for high level players from the most inexperienced players (and most noobs also). Because for now a random noob can ruin a life of a whole crew. And a bad ally also - that's why people who have friends and are in a clan are doing 'everything' to get to matchmaker with at least 3 people (making full crew).

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2015, 01:32:42 pm »
@disaster I've seen calls for tutorial videos far back as 2013 haha. If there has been any work done in that area could you post a link?

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2015, 02:47:59 pm »
@Omniraptor, I'd suggest Trello for organising tasks.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2015, 04:12:47 pm »
This is so cute when community agrees on the idea you were trying to enforce half a year ago...

*sigh* yeah, that's a great idea, +1

I think that the problem is that veterans are 'forced' to play with both unexperienced players and noobs/assholes/snowflakes/whatsofuckingever. If we want some fun all we can do is gather enough people and make a private game, which is not a good solution neither for us, nor for community.
I imagined a system where playerbase (let's assume for a moment that is big enough for this) is divided by levels into three categories: 1-14 ; 15-29; 30-45 and only two of those categories (neighboring each other) can stay in one match. So for example is the match has only >30lvl people, matchmaker can gather only people with levels 15 and above. This creates a kind of buffer zone for high level players from the most inexperienced players (and most noobs also). Because for now a random noob can ruin a life of a whole crew. And a bad ally also - that's why people who have friends and are in a clan are doing 'everything' to get to matchmaker with at least 3 people (making full crew).

This is what novice is for.

No novices go to novices matches, hence no novice lobbies exist for MM to find. So they just go to normal matches because nothing is stopping them (even worse in this case because MM dumps them on these lobbies now as opposed to them wondering in on the old days).

Also elaborate systems like that are only implemented with games that have a population problem. Like MMOs where under leveled ppl simply cannot survive in higher lvl enviroments. Hence they are deterred to go.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:15:28 pm by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2015, 05:28:03 pm »
@Omniraptor - Disaster is making a separate topic about this initiative.

Edit: Tis 1
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:35:36 pm by Schwalbe »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2015, 11:08:16 pm »
How the hell did this plunge into a vet vs noob fecal fight? And why wasn't I paying attention to fling a few?!

Overwatch you guys violated TBB trademarks with that image. I expect a written apology in Minese on my desk by 0600.

Others about just vets not playing till noobs level up. Already doing that, course I'm just doing it cause bad game + MM mess = no reason to play. Now pending next patch and what Muse does, I might be willing to put up with the MM mess. But having been on off and on...think opinion on the noob situation is already known. MM only amplifies the problem and makes me only want to play with clan members only. Which makes stacking happen and more QQ. Which makes me want to mine to force rage quits and leads to more QQing. Ultimately, MM has doomed everyone, they just don't all know it yet till I mine them.

If Muse wanted to focus on COOP, dumping a broken MM on everyone wasn't the way to do it. As it sits they're going to have to spend probably another 2-3 patches just making MM function without infuriating everyone. I say 2-3 because there is no way they'll get it right the first time. Its just too much of a mess for one patch to fix.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2015, 12:29:12 am »
Just reminding you guys, there are NO novice matches. We're at that point in the games life again.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2015, 12:45:19 am »
Just reminding you guys, there are NO novice matches. We're at that point in the games life again.
Actually, as a CA with access to novice games, I have noticed a serious decline in the number of novice matches 

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2015, 02:53:11 am »
Last night, global chat:
Level 2: "How long do you queue?"
Abby the helpful ret: "About 2-3 minutes, maximum of 10."
Level 2: "And for non noob matches?"
Me: "About the same."

I'm beginning to think that new players should have no awareness they're novice... Once they clock on to it, many of them get insulted and become desperate to turn their novice off..

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2015, 06:35:07 am »
What I think that sucks is how easy scrubs level up from their novicehood. Before the 1.3.8 patch and old leveling system I was 3-3-3 after playing more than 120 matches or something like that. Nowadays getting from novicehood in such manner ("let's level up all classes equally") is far way too easy, and hence - levels mean even less in terms of experience you can expect from a player.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2015, 11:14:34 pm »
I think I was a cog at some point. I was the left Engie on a SLUG Mobula captained by a friendly guy named Cheeseness. I requested a Hades on the lower gun mount, and he happily obliged. He gave loadout suggestions which I happily followed. I won't say I carried the team, because I definitely didn't. But I learned my way around a Mobula, and Captain Cheeseness even learned a Hades' arc. So I wasn't really a cog, I was a crewman.