Author Topic: Carronades  (Read 26737 times)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Carronades
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 04:16:44 pm »
I wonder what would happen if the balloon hitbox of ships is tied to how much space the balloon is actually taking up. Instead of hitting empty space where the balloon once was you would have to actually aim at that little piece left.
This would not only make it a little bit harder for Carronade gunners and pilots, but also might make it harder for any other weapon to hit the hull through the balloon. Probably by a very little margin, but still.
This would also make Pyramidions nigh immortal against Carronades that try to hit the balloon with heavy clip.

Would that be a bad world?

Offline Replaceable

• Salutes: 84
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2014, 05:21:13 pm »
I always aimed for the crumpled balloon anyways aha whoops.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2014, 08:57:03 pm »
I wonder what would happen if the balloon hitbox of ships is tied to how much space the balloon is actually taking up. Instead of hitting empty space where the balloon once was you would have to actually aim at that little piece left.
This would not only make it a little bit harder for Carronade gunners and pilots, but also might make it harder for any other weapon to hit the hull through the balloon. Probably by a very little margin, but still.
This would also make Pyramidions nigh immortal against Carronades that try to hit the balloon with heavy clip.

I always aimed for the crumpled balloon anyways aha whoops.

Wait, you're telling me that they DON'T do that?  Screw it, Imma do it anyways.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 10:15:23 pm »

While it would make carros a bit harder, it would really just more maximise the pyramidion advantage since in the goio world, balloons deflate backwards.

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 10:33:37 pm »

While it would make carros a bit harder, it would really just more maximise the pyramidion advantage since in the goio world, balloons deflate backwards.

I never thought about that before... Now I won't able to unthink it..

Anyway I think the hotboxes should at lest be looked at, the galleon - for example - is able to be hit on the top most flag part and count as a balloon hit.. despite there being no balloon... Should be an armor or no hit (I think goldfishes top fins are no hit?).

Not sure if other ships have that issue, but I know it makes you able to stay higher above the galleon when breaking the balloon then you would otherwise need to be..

Also I wouldn't mind seeing them give different balloons different hp as a test (did they ever test it?) but not necessarily different rebuild times... So that some are stronger vs balloon damage and some less so. But I know the devs already said they don't wanna do that.

Over all though I think the carros are pretty fine.. They are op when they are op... but its not a sure win thing and can be beaten by any other ship.. depending on teamwork and captain skills.. etc.. Issue I see is.. If the carros can't put you on the ground at all then they are underpowered, so they have to be able to do that to kill you.. And so all you can do is elongate the process if its currently to easy to do it (ie over powered)..

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 01:22:29 am »
Honestly, if you're going to do anything to affect the balance of Carronades, perhaps a Drogue Chute buff would be the best thing. It seems to be little used tool, and it would be the easiest way to nerf them without dramatically impacting balance.

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2014, 03:52:36 am »
Hey hey heeeey I got an idea
What if everyone gives up that bizarre fashion to put wrench engineer on baloon. Since it started way back when carronades were not so popular.

Also make pyramidion carro-vulnerable too

Boom problem solved

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 07:37:35 am »
Just for the record I don't believe any ('exotic'?) ship is 'insta countered' by carronade. Carrofishes excel at controlling opponents from afar, but their gun and balloon is as fat as any, and they will succumb to prolonged focus fire unless they get off the enemy's arcs every so often. Likewise, galleon has a fuckton of weaknesses. I get that dying after 3 mins of constant balloon popping is frustrating but there are ways to counterattack and/or escape, and this isn't a 1v1 game anyway.

Carronade is a strong gun, there's no arguing that. From popping your balloon to actually killing you, though, it needs circumstances which require quite some time to happen (get close to obstacles, with at least some armor damage while fish is healthy enough to successfuly ram etc), at least some of which can be more or less mitigated (avoid parking next to obstacles, stay high, use drogue, shoot back, use a small carronade yourself, ask for ally support etc). Balloons in general are a huge damage shield. Quick rebuilds essentially force the carro's damage to not be redirected to your hull. When a pyra's hull breaks you'll see 3 people run to it even in pubs, yet when a goldfish's balloon is popped from a carrofish the common case scenario is to have a poor buffwrench guy try to patch it up by himself.

I'm a terrible pilot so this isn't some attempt of mine to act smart by telling you how bad you are to die to carronade. But I've seen ships get out of seemingly ominous, long-lasting balloon locks and turn the fight around pretty often.

Anyway, a minor decrease in damage could make somewhat easier to fight against.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:52:20 am by Mezhu »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 12:25:50 pm »
Carrofishes excel at controlling opponents from afar,

I think you missed the point of the Blenderfish (carrofish). Balloon locking works by putting your ship in the opponent's blind spot so the blender ship is not taking any damage. This can only be done at extremely close range where the angle the enemies guns need to elevate is offset by the the distance between them and the top of the balloon. At long range sustained gat fire can take out the carronade or even kill the blender ship.

It is possible to destroy an opponent's balloon from long range but it leaves them room to retaliate. Getting in close is how a pilot can ensure the encounter is completely one sided.

Offline Mezhu

• Salutes: 33
    • [Sgar]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 02:45:39 pm »
I give up

Offline Tanya Phenole

• Salutes: 92
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2014, 01:36:02 am »
What if we increase all guns upper arc to 5-8 degrees, so those little jerks with carronade will not stay unpunished ?