Author Topic: Which Tools for Which Ships?  (Read 6726 times)

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
Which Tools for Which Ships?
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:34:24 am »
I mostly fly a pyramidion or a goldfish. Only recently have I tried piloting more complex ships like mobula and spire. (My favorite ship to pilot is now a mobula.)

So, I want to ask a question to the top pilots, which tools for which ships?

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
Re: Which Tools for Which Ships?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:54:18 am »
A good standard loadout is Kerosene, Phoenix Claw, and Hydrogen. That's my default loadout for every ship. Claw allows you to out maneuver any ship in the sky who hasn't brought the claw (but beware,  Daniel has a curse out on phoenix claw Mobula, so use at your own risk), Kero for quick acceleration and sustained movement and Hydro for either quickly engaging as ship above you, trying to escape from an attacker, or need to quickly gain altitude to avoid crashing into that wall for the millionth time pulling off a sick airship maneuver.  If I'm flying something slightly more fancy, I'll bring different tools though. For the Squid, I'm under impression the standard loadout is Kero, to make that little bugger even faster, Hydro/Claw and tar. Squid is a great tar-er because of it's speed and fast turning. I also see tar on the Galleon, Goldfish, and Spire fairly often, but I don't use tar that much to begin with, so I can't speak to that. My ramming Pyramidions almost always have Moonshine, Claw, and Chute Vent. There's just something so satisfying about moonshining and venting at the same time into an enemy ship. Galleon is a good moonshine ship because of the huge engine health.

EDIT: Not a top pilot, and good God I organized that so poorly :P

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 12:02:46 pm »
Every ship will benefit from moving faster and turning faster. Escape tools in the form oh Hydrogen, Chute Vent and Tar barrel can be very useful as well.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 12:04:14 pm »
There are basically 3 categories of tools

1. Speed booster (Kero or Moonshine)
2. Turn booster (only the P.C. sadly, muse add a Moonshine version of PC pleaaase)
3. Counter tools (Hyro, Chute Vent, Drogue Chute, Tar, Impact Bumpers

(often times tools are used effectively in other roles, this aint every use)
(also spyglass and range finder are not included for obvious reasons)

Generally you want to tailor these categories for what your ship goal is.

A basic all rounder kit in the same vein that mallet spanner chem is an all rounder engineer kit would be one of each category as it gives you two movement buffs and then something special. Meta midions commonly have moonshine/kero, phoenix claw, and hydro. Other more specialized ships might take more counter tools than movement tools. It depends.

Personally here are my general loadouts (when I remember)

Junker, Kerosene, Phoenix Claw, Drogue Chute/Hydrogen/Tar Barrel Depending on mood and enemy
A good all rounder array of tools for a good all rounder type of ship.

Goldfish, Moonshine, Phoenix Claw, Chute Vent
Its a blenderfish, and I go ram happy making the Moonshine and Chute Vent a must

Squid, Kerosene, Phoenix Claw, Hydro
My Squid needs all the speed and maneuverability it can get to make up for bad decisions from the captain concerning engagements.

Galleon Moonshine, Phoenix Claw, Drogue Chute
Galleon need the Claw due to its abysmal speed. Also Moonshine is the only booster that feels strong enough for its mass. Drogue is nice due to that big balloon being a common target.

Mobula, Hydro, Chute Vent, Drogue Chute
Mobulas are damn hard to efficiently repair meaning that engine burns are need to be done sparingly. However this loadout both utilizes its amazing balloon and protects from balloon poppers. I am no mobula expert though.

Spire, Drogue Chute, Phoenix Claw, Hydro
Like the mobula, this is another ship you don't want to burn too much enginer however sometimes a short PC burn is needed. However this too is not a ship I am an expert on.

Pyramidion, Moonshine (kero if CP) Phoenix Claw, Chute Vent
I don't fly a lot of pyra but when I do I like to play agreesive and ram a lot mainly because my normal junker never gets to ram. These are the tools to do it.

So here are my tools. Other pilots bring other tools for great reasons and it will vary from player to player. Hope this helps.

Offline Subarco

• Salutes: 4
    • [♞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:49:59 pm »
Has anyone tried tar barrel for the spire and used it successfully?

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:54:58 pm »
I don't think so, you're usually dead if the enemy is so close to the aft.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:37:45 pm »
I have dropped tar from a spire while backtracking with guns on target and just reversed through it. It worked, but not great.

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 05:00:17 pm »
I'm not the most experienced pilot, but I generally default to phoenix claw, kero/moonshine, and hydro/chute vent for pretty much any ship.

If I'm flying a ramming ship, I'll often forego a balloon/escape tool and bring both kerosene AND moonshine to get really good momentum for rams (kero to get up to speed without completely killing the engines and letting the engineers repair them to full before the burst of moonshine at the end to ram and keep the ship from bouncing too hard).